bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Nov 2007, 13:39   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Asus Eee PC violates Linux GPL?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11...s_linux_gpl_/1

Apparently Asus may have violated the Linux GPL with the immensely popular Eee PC by not releasing part of the source code for one of the kernel modules.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 14:42   #2
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I was reading about this yesterday, from what i seen on the web their 1.8gig source download doesn't include a couple of parts that they have modified. I think the most important bit being asus_acpi which means your effectively tied to the supplied kernel until either it is reverse engineered or asus release the changes. I'm hoping its a matter of incompetence over malice and it will be resolved in due course, it would be a shame if it came to a law suite. I don't think Linux needs any bad publicity amongst the great unwashed/white box shifters just as it starts to make in roads.
Old 26th Nov 2007, 15:01   #3
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
I already got my early christmas present running ubuntu so no problems there ^^
a centrino duo t5500, 2gb ram, ati x2300, 120gb disc. Asus Z53j (I think its a regional version of F3).
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 15:24   #4
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
"That said, most Eee PC owners probably don't care - the entire point of the laptop is that it is focused at low-end users and those who want something which is simple and easy to use."

i consider my self an advanced user and i would definatly would buy this laptop.... it is light, cheap and small, and has enough power in it for lots of stuff.
if i got one i would install ubuntu in a flash.... but it seams i cant..... i will just wait for one that i can put the OS i want an that has a black color instead of white....
Old 26th Nov 2007, 16:26   #5
Greenie
Modder

Greenie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the original article is here: http://cliffhacks.blogspot.com/2007/...s-and-gpl.html

i doubt its something asus have done just to keep things closed, or so that it takes more effort to install whatever OS you please. They probably just forgot to include the modified source. I am sure we will see it appear in the next few weeks, because to adhere to the GPLv2 they will have to distribute the source, unless the authors of the current closed software have signed the rights over to asus

DXR_13KE: you can install ubuntu on it, the cliffhacks page also has a tutorial to do that, recompiling the kernel using the modified asus_acpi to provide proper power management and after that, ndiswrapper to sort out the wireless.
Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 18:42   #6
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i thought asus_acpi was intgrated into the standard kernel, is it just the dsdt for this particular model
Old 26th Nov 2007, 19:00   #7
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
This laptop could provide a nice push for Linux and I'm torn between the violation of GPL and the thought that enforcing the GPL might cause Asus to stop making these (if they intentionally violated GPL). If Asus releases the source then all is well.
Old 26th Nov 2007, 19:05   #8
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.
DXR_13KE: The Eee is available in black if you shop around.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 20:28   #9
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
ACPI is by far the trickiest thing to get working on Linux laptops - frankly, unless you happen to have exactly the same hardware as an expert in the field, and you can get it installed and set up right (often no small task under PenguinOS, it's worth remembering) you will generally be out of luck. I have never seen any laptop other than an IBM Thinkpad correctly sleep or hibernate under Linux and that makes it effectively unusable for laptops in general.

This is therefore a fairly turnkey piece of software and, while I hesitate to assume that anyone's acting maliciously, it wouldn't be surprising to find that someone considered it sensitive.

Phil
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 20:46   #10
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes View Post
I have never seen any laptop other than an IBM Thinkpad correctly sleep or hibernate under Linux and that makes it effectively unusable for laptops in general.
I dont know what youve been looking at, but at university i have seen dozens of laptops of all kinds that have functioned correctly (sleep and hibernate)

Hell i put ubuntu on a dell laptop and it worked perfectly ....
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 21:12   #11
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
DXR_13KE: The Eee is available in black if you shop around.
The term "available" has to be used very loosely. Very few shops have them in, and those that do are all charging Ebay prices (i.e. - 50 more than it's worth). Given that Asus is selling every one of these things that it's making, I'm sure they're not worried about having to correct this mistake, or even about not correcting it and just dealing with the lawsuit.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 23:13   #12
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I want one, I really don't care as long as I connect to the Internet and open Word documents I'm just fine with it
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2007, 09:52   #13
Techno-Dann
Disgruntled kumquat

Techno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Issue resolved: ASUS released the source for the module. Engadget has a few details, along with a link to the downloads.

Last edited by Techno-Dann; 27th Nov 2007 at 09:52. Reason: Changed HTML to BBcode... Been writing too much HTML lately.
Techno-Dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2007, 17:42   #14
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Thank you Asus.