bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Nov 2007, 10:14   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
New 2K Studio formed for BioShock 2

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11...r_bioshock_2/1

Apparently a new 2K Studio is being formed to head up development of BioShock 2, while Ken Levine is working on a new X-Com game.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 10:38   #2
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
I think I missed the whole story bout why people don't like Ken Levine hmm
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:00   #3
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854 View Post
I think I missed the whole story bout why people don't like Ken Levine hmm
Same here, anyone got any information on that?

The idea of a new X-Com is intriguing...as long as it doesn't end up being dumbed-down like seemingly everything else lately.

Not too excited by the idea of BioShock 2, I'm in the camp of heretics who weren't very impressed by BioShock.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:26   #4
Jinjue
What's a Dremel?

Jinjue has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How about....................

Now hear me out on this CURAAAZY idea........

GETTING BIOSHOCK 1 TO BLOODY WELL WORK!

3 Months now

THREE MONTHS I AND MANY MANY OTHERS HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR A RESOLUTION TO THIS CRASHING PROBLEM.

AND WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING?

EH?

STARTING A NEW DICK OFFICE>........................ARAGHGGGGHFHFGGHGH!

</end of rantorama>

Andy
Jinjue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:46   #5
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
it worked fine for me, my biggest gripe was the consolification of it
Gunsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:52   #6
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith View Post
it worked fine for me, my biggest gripe was the consolification of it
Definitely.

It wasn't the spiritual successor to System Shock, it was System Shock Lite™ for Joypads.

I'm cynical about it, I know, but BioShock was nothing more than an overhyped disappointment for me.
I guess it would have been too much to ask for a game that could live up to its predecessors from the glory days of the 90's and isn't watered-down (pun not intended) for the console market.

I'm really starting to sound like an anti-console forum-troll here, but I think my bitterness is understandable when considering Deus Ex vs Invisible War, Morrowind vs Oblivion, Fallout 2 vs Fallout 3, System Shock 2 vs BioShock, etc etc..

Someone please prove me wrong.
Bethesda and Eidos Montreal, I'm looking at you. I'm not hopeful, but I'm looking at you.

Last edited by Zurechial; 30th Nov 2007 at 11:58.
Zurechial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:00   #7
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial View Post
Same here, anyone got any information on that?
so im not the only one
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:22   #8
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Bioshock was the most overhyped PC game of 2007.
Had it came out now, with pretty much all the GOTY aspirants released, it wouldnt have the same impact.

As for X-COM, the last title worth playing was Terror from the Deep. New versions fail to provide the same atmosphere.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:31   #9
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
As for X-COM, the last title worth playing was Terror from the Deep. New versions fail to provide the same atmosphere.
++

I quite liked apocalypse but I still prefer TFTD and the original UFO.
UFO:Aftershock was quite fun too but still not as atmospheric as TFTD.

Still, we can live in hope.

As for Bioshock, I liked it but wasn't blown away by it.
Maybe my hopes were too high from reading all the reviews... :/

And is this Ken guy really such an asshole to work with???

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 13:06   #10
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whats up with Ken?? Bioshock was great and loved every moment of it, and I cant wait for a number 2
Old 30th Nov 2007, 13:21   #11
VictorianBloke
Multimodder

VictorianBloke has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've still not managed to play the first Bioshock yet! Curse Virgin and their incompetent staff, my "pre" order was nearly 60 days late and I've not had the time since finally receiving a copy. I did enjoy the demo as brief as it was though.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 13:52   #12
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm not sure why nobody wants to work with Ken either. Its probably either his ego or, that he pushes people too hard.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 15:02   #13
Crunch77
Modder

Crunch77 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Also waiting to play Bioshock 1 when they fix the mouse problem.
Crunch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 19:29   #14
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch77 View Post
Also waiting to play Bioshock 1 when they fix the mouse problem.
IF they fix it.
Managed to get to Fort Frolic before giving up on it.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 21:17   #15
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Definitely.

It wasn't the spiritual successor to System Shock, it was System Shock Lite™ for Joypads.

I'm cynical about it, I know, but BioShock was nothing more than an overhyped disappointment for me.
I guess it would have been too much to ask for a game that could live up to its predecessors from the glory days of the 90's and isn't watered-down (pun not intended) for the console market.

I'm really starting to sound like an anti-console forum-troll here, but I think my bitterness is understandable when considering Deus Ex vs Invisible War, Morrowind vs Oblivion, Fallout 2 vs Fallout 3, System Shock 2 vs BioShock, etc etc..

Bethesda and Eidos Montreal, I'm looking at you. I'm not hopeful, but I'm looking at you.
I also sound like a console-hater troll these days ... and maybe i am ( )
I will say what's expected from me to say : add UT3 to that hist of yours
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 01:22   #16
Bladestorm
Hypermodder

Bladestorm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I seem to recall the X-COM rumours started some 12-18 months ago, after a lawyer that worked for irrational listed an new x-com game amongst there credits in an entry on his website (and the rumour was not exactly snuffed out when it was realized that take2 the studio's publisher owned the rights to said series now)

I love Enemy Unknown, am so-so on terror from the deep (so, so very hard!) quite like apocalypse (It may have had its failings in some ways, but it did evolve a fair bit of the usability in interface etc) don't mind interceptor (but wish they'd spent a little more time on the bugs and the flight engine ..) hate enforcer.

The after series has overall been a little dissapointing, they started out with a very rushed game that tried to be ambitious in some ways, then each further game has trimmed back the ambition but improved whats actually there with afterlight being the best yet, but the second and third went with static maps and become so very, very repetitive (and the first wasn't truly random, but it was better then completely static).

Last edited by Bladestorm; 2nd Dec 2007 at 01:27. Reason: Added thoughts on games.
Bladestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 03:43   #17
boiled_elephant
I actually like Doom 3.

boiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:

My solution? Revert. Retrograde. I just shelve my love of graphics and my need to buy expensive hardware every 5 months, and play Morrowind, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy VII and Silent Hill 1. After a while, the horrible graphics don't phase you, and you realise how much better games used to be
Normally, though, your hobbies are profitless and you spend your youth cramming them
into the pauses between 8-hour shifts of restless tedium, waiting for retirement.
boiled_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 04:53   #18
Zurechial
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiled_elephant View Post
My solution? Revert. Retrograde. I just shelve my love of graphics and my need to buy expensive hardware every 5 months, and play Morrowind, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy VII and Silent Hill 1. After a while, the horrible graphics don't phase you, and you realise how much better games used to be
You're preaching to the choir.

I'm playing through Fallout & Fallout 2 for the umpteenth time at the moment (literally, F2 is minimised on my taskbar) and I actually love the graphics of both games - The artwork is gritty, but gorgeous in its own way - I don't need graphics to be cutting-edge, I just like them to be pleasing to my eyes.
Using the engine tweaks dll-mod by timeslip allows for some small improvements to the engine, but what I really want is a full-screen gaussian blur/softening filter so that the game doesn't look as pixellated in its 640x480, 256-colour glory on my 22" screen. Certainly not necessary to enjoy such exceptional games though.

I play through Deus Ex, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 1/2/TOB, FF7, FF8 & System Shock 2 at least 4-5 times per year. Each.
I dread the day that I finally get too bored of any one of the above to play through it again, but if it hasn't happened by now...
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 00:25   #19
tornadolphin
Minimodder

tornadolphin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ation-BioShock

tornadolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 00:42   #20
Major

I'm just waiting for STALKER 2.