bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Nov 2007, 10:14   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Rumour: Gamespot Editor fired over review

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11..._over_review/1

Inital evidence suggests that Gamespot may have fired it's editor of ten years after a review of Kane and Lynch upset advertisers.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:29   #2
quack
\o/

quack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pathetic. Another company that can't take criticism.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:32   #3
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/11/29

They are quick off the mark.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:47   #4
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's a shame, this kind of thing happensa a lot in the games industry these days and as a by product its why you see all review scales only going from 7 to 10.

One day we might have reviews we can trust again.

P.S: an average game should get 5 not 8 (I'm afraid your guilty of this too Bit)
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:52   #5
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat69
P.S: an average game should get 5 not 8 (I'm afraid your guilty of this too Bit)
our average is somewhere between 6 and 7 - six is defined as below average, seven is just above average, but I see your point.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:53   #6
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
maybe it just wasn't his type of game, or just maybe the game was bad.... and after wasting my money i can actual say that the game is poor when compared to hitman
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:53   #7
AlexB
Web Nerd and WC Addict

AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.
Agree with Neat69's P.S mark.
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I shoulda've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt, and trouble.
1: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, AMD 7970 (3gb), Corsair 256gb SSD
2: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, Nvidia 680GTX (4gb)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:01   #8
Naberius
Multimodder

Naberius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would say he was quite kind, especially compared to the 1600+ users who have given it an average score of 4.1!

You can't just fire the guy for not being too keen on one game.
Naberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:03   #9
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ok, they want action because of the low score and threaten to take their business elsewhere ie advertising.

So if the magazine gives in and sack the reviewer in order to keep the money coming in. Isn’t that fixing the review scores. I mean I wouldn’t bother reading reviews done by them as they will have inflated scores because they are getting paid and to keep their advertisers happy.

This will do GameSpot more harm because you cant trust their reviews anymore.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:07   #10
fev
Industry Fallout

fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
the game is crap and zelda. All Zelda's.. that's right pure crap.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:13   #11
jezmck
I Mod, Therefore I Own

jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
...six is defined as below average, seven is just above average, but I see your point.
So what's the average IQ now? 120?
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:17   #12
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The game is crap, 6/10 is a fair score.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:26   #13
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat69
our average is somewhere between 6 and 7 - six is defined as below average, seven is just above average, but I see your point.
So average for you guys is 6.5? I understand why you do this though, as everyone else does and you need to keep things comparable, but it means to many games get high scores and makes it tough to chose between them.

At the end of the day, the whole reason of reading a review is so you can decide if you want to buy that game, or get game A or B, how do I do that if they both have 9.0 scores they don't always deserve?
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:31   #14
Bungle
Rainbow Warrior

Bungle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well making games is big money now, can't say I'm surprised this sort of thing happens. As to what weight his reviews carried and hence what "damage" it has done to the title we can only speculate. Surely a slapped wrist would have sufficed. Firing the guy, especially after such long service seems disproportionate to the "crime". I suspect there are other internal issues which have contributed to this. Have to wait and see I guess.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:33   #15
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat69 View Post
So average for you guys is 6.5? I understand why you do this though, as everyone else does and you need to keep things comparable, but it means to many games get high scores and makes it tough to chose between them.

At the end of the day, the whole reason of reading a review is so you can decide if you want to buy that game, or get game A or B, how do I do that if they both have 9.0 scores they don't always deserve?
Rent 'em, try 'em...

Anyhow I too think bad games deserve bad reviews. And setting 6-7 to be average doesn't feel right to me. I'd say if it sucks tell the people it does.
Just out of curiosity what was the worst score you ever gave a game here at BT?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:35   #16
lukasj3di
What's a Dremel?

lukasj3di has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is bad!
lukasj3di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:36   #17
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:

I can see your point, but do you really decide whether to buy a game or not merely on a score out of 10?

Honestly, I don't pay much heed to scores out of 10, percentages, etc.
I'd rather actually read the review and get the detailed opinions of the reviewer about various aspects of the game so I can decide for myself - and I'd imagine you're much the same, as are most people.

As far as I'm concerned, scores out of 10 and the like are just a formality that reviewers have to go through to adhere to the norm, but it's the opinions presented within the review that count.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:36   #18
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
So average for you guys is 6.5?
We don't have a truly "average" score, as we only score from 1 to 10 (with no halves). We do this because it keeps things simple and secondly it's rare that a game (or product for that matter) is truly average... I think the tipping point is that 7 is something we think is worth considering, while 6 is something that we don't.

Quote:
I understand why you do this though, as everyone else does and you need to keep things comparable, but it means to many games get high scores and makes it tough to chose between them.
You're right, it's not that we don't want to start at five and work upwards... we're kind forced into that in some ways by other sites. We started out with seven as an average, but decided that was too high, so now we classify seven as above average.

Quote:
I hear you, but the reason we kept it simple is because how do you tell the difference, as a writer, between an 8.7 and an 8.8? Personally, I think scoring out of any more than 10 is overcomplicating things and it'd be even worse if we started going down that route with the hardware reviews too, because it's often incredibly hard to score a product even out of 10 - we spend a lot of time coming up with our scores and most of them are usually discsussed, or at least put out there by the writer and then they have to be able to defend why it deserves that score if one of us doesn't agree.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:37   #19
lukasj3di
What's a Dremel?

lukasj3di has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by quack
Pathetic. Another company that can't take criticism.
This is not something new. There's another example: this year, Vadim Computers lost the Dream PC2007 award (SCAN won it). The two guys who built the machine from Vadim Computers were fired a few days after that.
lukasj3di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:45   #20
indigo_prime
Minimodder

indigo_prime has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would hope that someone will pick up this guy and give him a job. Someone with 10 years experience of the industry and who gives an honest review should be seen as an asset, not as a risk.

Unfortunately advertising revenue is a big part of keeping sites rolling. This guy had the balls to tell it 'how it is' from his perspective in the review. The ones without the spine are the people who have bowed to external pressure and sacked him.

If the average user is only rating it as a 4, then perhaps they should be grateful that he gave them a 6. I fail to see in other comments how a 6 can be described as below average and 7 as above average. On a 1 to 10 scale, 5 is and always has been the average!! Anything less than 5 is below average. Basic maths guys!!

The best reviews I see are ones where they rate cost, playability (SP and MP), graphics, performance etc individually and then give the final score as the average of them all. BF2 SP for me is about a 3, but MP is about an 8 which would give an average of 5.5 over those two things....see where Im going?
indigo_prime is offline   Reply With Quote