bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Dec 2007, 12:56   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Eee PC warranty still intact

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/12...still_intact/1

It seems everyone can't get enough of Asus' cheap little sub-laptop, and things have just got better as Asus will now honour warranty claims for home upgrades.

Old 10th Dec 2007, 13:29   #2
antiHero
ReliXmas time!

antiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice mod! I would run an extern 2,5" hdd instead as my soldering skills are far from enough for a mod like this
antiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2007, 14:28   #3
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
what about changing the hard drive? and the battery?
Old 10th Dec 2007, 14:33   #4
antiHero
ReliXmas time!

antiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The EEE doesnt have a harddrive as it uses flash chips soldered to the motherboard as storage.
Old 10th Dec 2007, 15:27   #5
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Totally sweet mod, I love it!
I want to do it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2007, 15:41   #6
mrplow
obey the fist!!

mrplow has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmrplow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't really understand the desire for these things...
Old 10th Dec 2007, 18:15   #7
outlawaol
Geeked since 1982

outlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysis
I was thinking this thing was cheap (Sub $200). But for the $350-400 you might was well spend a bit more and get a real laptop, complete with 80gb HD, OS, 1gb of ram, and a bigger better WS monitor.

Case in point ---> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7754611
Old 10th Dec 2007, 18:23   #8
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
****ing awesome

I'm gonna open up my wee precious right now. DXR - you'll be able to add a Mini-PCI-E based HDD, but it replaces the internal SSD aparently, so if you stick an 8GB one in then you lose the initial 4GB. A little annoying. In a year or two though if say 32 or 64GB mini-PCI-E based SSDs were cheap, it'd be a great upgrade. As for the RAM, that's getting done ASAP on mine.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2007, 19:05   #9
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I was thinking of waiting till the price comes down, then picking up a black one, vacuum forming some clear acrylic, doing an etching, LEDs, an iPod HDD, internal Bluetooth. Possibly expand the battery capacity. Custom kernel and window manager etc. Really pimp one out. Like really ridiculously.

You know, because I can. And have an uber portable machine. Oh, and get mod of the month .

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2007, 19:56   #10
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
an iPod HDD
You're very unlikely to find space for that in the current casing. The new 1.2" drives toshiba released though? They're a strong candidate for fitting in the physical space above the RAM. You can also do internal blootooth very easily. Battery capacity is harder, although people have started investigating the possibility of building their own cells. It won't be long before uprated cells are out there. Overclocking is fairly simple too, straight to 900Mhz. Further if you're lucky/crazy.
Old 10th Dec 2007, 19:59   #11
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
aren't you guys annoyed by the fact that the screen is not 'fullscreen' (black plastic borders)

or is it just me ?
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2007, 20:04   #12
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I've seen a Bluetooth dongle and flash drive added, so I know that's definitely possible. The plan was to vacuum form a new cover not only to give me a window, but a few extra mm for either the HDD, or a USB WiFi dongle (so I can put the HDD where the internal WiFi card is; next to the PCIe slot).

And I've swapped laptop battery cells out before - just buy higher capacity ones, and tweak the charger a little.

Overclocking? of course. I'm crazy!

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2007, 21:36   #13
antiHero
ReliXmas time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by specofdust View Post
You're very unlikely to find space for that in the current casing. The new 1.2" drives toshiba released though? They're a strong candidate for fitting in the physical space above the RAM. You can also do internal blootooth very easily. Battery capacity is harder, although people have started investigating the possibility of building their own cells. It won't be long before uprated cells are out there. Overclocking is fairly simple too, straight to 900Mhz. Further if you're lucky/crazy.
Its been done! Cuts down on battery life hard but not impossible. Check it out here!
Old 10th Dec 2007, 21:56   #14
specofdust
Banned

Wow, I can't believe I missed that. I browse those forums every day for new stuff on my little box of tricks

It's a fairly extreme mod, but damn that's cool. Of course, modding in the 1.8" SSD's that are just around the corner, in very large flavours, will be far far more interesting.
Old 10th Dec 2007, 22:41   #15
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
sweet

great mod
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2007, 08:53   #16
chrisuk
Modder

chrisuk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've got one on order, for later this week. I think, for my commute in the morning, its a bit of a bargain really. Nice and hackable as well. The closest thing I've seen over here (uk) is the N810 which is about 100 more expensive. And well, here you are probably looking at a similar step up to a basic laptop (unlike the US) - plus, if I wanted to take a 15.4" laptop on my commute, I'd take the MBP.
chrisuk is offline   Reply With Quote