bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Dec 2007, 11:50   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ubuntu now available for Eee PCs

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/12..._for_eee_pcs/1

Got yourself a spangly new Eee PC? Well there's already an alternative OS out there if you want to be a little different to everyone else.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2007, 12:18   #2
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Won't be long untill other distro's follow... and I hope other manufacturers...
Old 13th Dec 2007, 13:39   #3
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Ubuntu <3 A rising star!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2007, 15:46   #4
pumpman
Ultramodder

pumpman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ive seen a few articles with mac os running on them too
Old 13th Dec 2007, 22:02   #5
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpman View Post
Ive seen a few articles with mac os running on them too
I don't want to offend anyone, but when I see MacOS running on PCs I keep wondering why macs are so overpriced and the Leopard DVD is so cheap. What I mean by this is that macs aren't superior to PC hardware wise (a MacPro is, but that's a workstation...).

IMHO clever marketing does wonders to a company, and, for the record, I do like MacOS.
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2007, 23:37   #6
konsta
Multimodder

konsta has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm already running normal ubuntu on mine, and have put some of the write-saving tweaks in as per guides i've found on the net, but I may take a look at this one to see if it offers enough new stuff to warrant the time spent reinstalling over normal ubuntu.
konsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2007, 23:53   #7
fakeN
Multimodder

fakeN has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
how long is the flashdrive meant to last without tweaks then? x_x
fakeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 18:51   #8
PaulMac
What's a Dremel?

PaulMac has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Linux Eee's, variants, drive life, Macs

After 5 years collecting 5 used Macs because of OSX, (crown jewel being the Mac Mini G4) (total spend on all 5 being $800 in that time) I agree that apart from Power Macs, well, dont pay Apple's inflated prices for a newie. I havent had a death in the family they seem reliable. But mean on some things. Then I saw the Eee PC and thought wow that's rad. Had to have a custom built Linux machine as a poltical statement. Im no techno person. I write and listen to music. and use the net. I know what I know and dont know what I dont know. As for the life span of the Eee's drive, I wondered that myself. But seeing as you can boot from a thumb drive or externally anyhow (if im understanding this right) then what the heck?

I had an old dead Lacie external CD case hanging around, 2 4 gig iPod clones, a 4 gig sd card, a two gig sd card and an 8 gig thumb drive. Im handy with velco so I poppoed the Lacie case open and velco'd the drives into the case. I velco'd a little hub into it at the back and a multicard reader at the front where the cd tray used to be. So I have an internal 8 gig, a 4 gig sd card in the Eee's sd slot, and externally 18 gig. The Eee powers the external drives fine, Ive been running it now for 8 hours without problems. I put empty name folders on each drive so I could see what was what.

So is it important if the Eee's internal drive dies ? If it does it would be just a reason to use another flavour of Linux wouldnt it? Or could I restore to an external drive with the Asus recovery cd?

At least Apple doesnt sell Windows XP.

Regards to all, my first post, hope its OK. Hoping to learn more Linux. The Eee is so twee when it comes to swapping files to the Macs. And its wireless is way better. Macs make great music - thats a definate plus in their favor. And it plays well on the Eee As do movies made on the Macs.

Safety tip: Soldering irons burn. Use velco. I mean, I admire the guy who put a thumb drive inside his Eee, but gee it might be more integrated than my solution but once youve stuck a hot iron in your mouth thinking it was a cigar, you have trouble talking for the rest of your life. Conductive velco. Someone needs to invent that.

Last edited by PaulMac; 2nd Feb 2009 at 19:09. Reason: humour
PaulMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 09:52   #9
Atomic
Gerwaff

Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.Atomic is definitely a rep cheat.
Holy Thread Revival!
Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 09:58   #10
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMac View Post
Im handy with velco so I poppoed the Lacie case open and velco'd the drives into the case. I velco'd a little hub into it at the back and a multicard reader at the front where the cd tray used to be. [...] Safety tip: Soldering irons burn. Use velco. [...] Conductive velco. Someone needs to invent that.
What's "velco?"
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2009, 12:45   #11
PaulMac
What's a Dremel?

Velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
What's "velco?"
My error. It's velcro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9uxxqKGmYg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velcro
http://www.velcro.com.au/
http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa091297.htm

I'm always confused.
Old 4th Feb 2009, 13:44   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMac View Post
My error. It's velcro.
Ahh, thought as much - just wanted to check it wasn't a brand name I hadn't heard of (like "duct tape" and "Duck Tape").
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2009, 23:27   #13
PaulMac
What's a Dremel?

Feelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Ahh, thought as much - just wanted to check it wasn't a brand name I hadn't heard of (like "duct tape" and "Duck Tape").
Quite right too. Im going down to the computer shop so they can help down load Ubooto for one of my macs and the Eeee PC linux variant this thread is about. I dont know if I can burn the right format on my macs for the Eee - never burnt ISO. Ignorance isnt bliss.

On my 701 Eee PC theres a port for a phoneline for an on board modem. Its blanked off with a rubber stopper. But on remving that one can see the two metal connector wires in there and in the set up section for Netwroks theres a dial up modem page and evey field to fill in to configure it is active except the country field. That's dead. And so the modem cant be configured. On system diagnostics, the modem icon is dead. System profile names the modem and apparently its used as a sound card.

Issue is either getting that working somehow or using an old external modem with usb convertor cable for which Linux drivers do exist or finding a usb modem that is Linux compatible or has linux drivers for the Eee PC flavour of Linux so Im curious about other Linux flavors compatible with the Eee hardware. It might overcome the issue. So long as I dont loose wireless in the process.

Maybe if I fiddle with linux on one of my old Macs (apparently you can download Ubuntu as a dmg which Im confortable with) I'll get some confidence up.

People on the Asus forum site are mentioning probs with the Linux Eee and the XP users reply "Put XP on it" but its a Linux knowledge base thing, not fundamentally an Eee PC thing and anyhow Windows is against my religion.

I mght end up velcroing an old modem to my external drive case. But surely theres a usb dial up modem out there somewhere that's got linux drivers. Then I can velcro that into my external box.

The political issue here seems to be that models up from the 701 Eee do have dial up modems that are operational. But in Australia you cant buy the Linux versions of those models in the big stores. You have to hunt them out in Geek shops (I wanna be a Geek). Seems Microsoft is heavying Asus to promote Windows over Linux in the mass market in all but the base models. In my opinion, sorry Microsoft but you'll live if Im wrong. Like, go to the Asus site and there's all these sweet Linux models with solid state drives and then go to the shops here to buy one and you cant - they shove the Windows variant at you. So I run away, go home and play "Love over Gold" on the Mac Mini. Which is an overpriced piece of kit new that runs on OSX which is Linux in drag. Nice shoes and bling, lots of cleavage but still at its core Unix based.

Last edited by PaulMac; 4th Feb 2009 at 23:52. Reason: to fix typos as per usual
Old 5th Feb 2009, 00:02   #14
Volund
Am I supposed to care?

Volund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run Crysis
my god.... dead thread bump?

If you believe in GLaDOS and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig
Volund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2009, 00:07   #15
PaulMac
What's a Dremel?

cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Holy Thread Revival!
You're Jungian Atomic. I'm affliated with:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/anva/

A thread revived in the UK courts as I type.

DNA is digitial. I think it might have a Darwin core.

Last edited by PaulMac; 5th Feb 2009 at 00:11. Reason: To fix typos as per usual
Old 5th Feb 2009, 01:29   #16
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Can we leave old threads alone, please?
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote