1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress kempez's Project "Aqua vitae" | pretty much done | 14/11/2010

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by kempez, 14 Dec 2007.

1. kempez

kempez modding again!

Before I start, MASSIVE thanks to the awesome folks at WCUK. If you want quality watercooling stuff talk to them

[​IMG]

TFC, the makers of the fantastic Feser One, have shouted me two different Feser One colours, thanks again to WCUK...and thanks to feser One

Also shout to Noctua for making some fantastic fans, big props!

As some may remember I am starting a project. This one's based around an A+ Black Pearl and I now have some hardware for it ready to start modding!

Basic ideas:

Two waterloops based around the fantastic dual res made by TribalOVERKILL. One for CPU (D-TEK Fuzion with high performance nozzle), one with EK NB and EK GPU cooler for 8800GTX.

The project is going to be orange and bluw...blue outside and orange inside with highlights externally. I'm currently working on the sketchup plans for it but am slow at that :p

There's going to be plenty of plexi involved and hopefully it will be a showpiece of detailed modding throughout...which means it may take some time :D

Etches are what I'm thinking of right now, the side panel window will frost out the drive bays and have something etched into it. There will also be a window in the top of the case to showcase the res.

Both waterloops should fit snugly in the bottom of the case, with 4 x high flow Noctua fans shifting the air.

I'll bring you more in the way of ideas soon but for now here's some pics of the bits and pieces:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some appalling project sketches (note that rads are double and will match up with mesh lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glad I'm a lot better at PS :p

Many more mods will be done than this but I'm just outlining a few to get the idea :)

Last edited: 7 Dec 2010
  2. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

If you like the dual res so much, so should at least get the name of the creator right :D

3. kempez

kempez modding again!

Oops, yep had mind focused on FuZion CPU block :p

4. kempez

kempez modding again!

Been mass busy but have done some testing this weekend. Two posts kinda reflect where I was/am.

Right then I've been test fitting the RADs today in advance of the brackets and it's very tioght, as I thought it would be.

Pics of the RADs on the floor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmm, not ideal. Thought of several solutions including putting one up in the roof (which I don't want to do). Here's one I came up with.

[​IMG]

I think the clearflex should make the turn and the res would drop the water down into the pump OK. The other one would probably be the same.

The route the water would take would go from the res to the pumps split into two as such:

Res>Pump(undecided which one)>RAD>GPU>NB>RAD

Res>Pump(undecided which one)>RAD>CPU>RAD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also this section here^ will house the crystalfontz CFA 635. Hack a hole out of it to fit, cut some orange plexi to fit round the outside and then mount the LCD screen plus (painted) alu panel on top.

Oh and I should be getting the entire case (inside and out) airbrushed to my own design (plain orange inside though :D)

5. kempez

kempez modding again!

I think I've "found" a better solution

Two DDC's to go in the FDD/5.25" bay, RADs stay at the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking of making a "wind tunnel" by putting a plexi cover on the RADs so they're isolated from the case. One draws air in and through, the other draws air out the other side. Obviously holes will be cut in the case side and some sexy OC3D RAD grills installed :D

6. kempez

kempez modding again!

The problem I have is the 1/2" tubing which doesn't really get round bends that tight, which is why I think the bays are the best place. I've only got 2 x HDD's and an optical for the bays so it's not so bad for space.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

what case is that? looks like a lian li V2000, but no little holes all over it. wish my v1000 was like that.

8. kempez

kempez modding again!

It's an A+Case Black Pearl WCR and very nice it is too. Same finish as Lian Li, lovely thick aluminium that leaves me looking at my dremel and not looking forward to cutting it ;)

9. badje

badje boni

Hey 2nd post on this forums.
    First, I like the stuff you are gonna be using, looks prommesing (did I spell this right? ).
    Second, if you put the rads like this, then through one rad there is gonna be hot air?
    So i did some quick thinking, and came up with an idea. I can't really describe what I mean so I used my paintskillz.
    [​IMG]
    In this way you can have the cold are sucked through the radiator and the hot air will be blown out at the back off the case.
    Maybe you can use this, but that's just my 2 cents.

Anyway good luck, I'm waiting for the next update.:rock::dremel:

10. kempez

kempez modding again!

It's an idea I've thought about for sure, although the PSU is in the way at the bottom of the case. Another thing to remember is that air should be drawn from the bottom of the case (holes) so it won't all be hot air. I guess I can make the airtrap and test. Another thing is that am going to be covering up the PSU and PSU wires with plexi so perhaps I could incorporate what you pointed out in that and encompass the RADs in one go? Could be interesting :D

11. kempez

kempez modding again!

Externally? Deffo am not gonna mount a RAD externally as that looks very untidy imo. I'm trying to keep away from having one internally at the top of the case as I want the Res to steal the show and also want to make a top window to show it all off :)

12. widmod

widmod Minimodder

4 fans inside blowing the air out and drwing them from the front hole?

13. kempez

kempez modding again!

Two issues with that:

1: The front hole is where the Crystalfontz should hopefully be living :)

2: The front hole has pretty bad airflow as it only draws it from the bottom of the case though a few small holes.

Perhaps a fan could be fitted to the bottom of the case to draw air in? Hmm dunno, it's a toughie

Thanks for all the suggestions though peeps, all appreciated and all give me great ideas :dremel::cooldude:

14. widmod

widmod Minimodder

cut the bottom out and insert some mesch... :naughty:

15. kempez

kempez modding again!

Courtesy of rob @ WCUK I got my Eddie EK 8800GTX block through :D:D

[​IMG]

Sexy and Rob is a legend.

And the awesome Ayd from SpecialTech got me an awesome deal on two DDC's with EK tops :D

[​IMG]

Also I got the mounts for the RAD and will try some positions for them at the weekend :)

@widmod - will certainly see what I can do :)

16. kempez

kempez modding again!

I'm not really sure what benefit that is going to be? The RADs will have the (colour coordinated) fans facing out with nice RAD grills on them cut through the case sides, revealing a bit of interior and I will have floorspace there left if I need it. I'm not being rude, just asking why this would be a benefit to do.

I want to cover up the classic PSU cable mess and the PSU as well so my way will make sure that's done too by a nice plexi cover

17. kempez

kempez modding again!

Right then, time to get this log going really ;)

Tom (TTLCustoms) been working on my rig for me as I am damn busy with life in general.

We've changed it from Orange to Lapis Blue with some silver sparkles to give it depth :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's all been stripped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the cuts for the RADs. Looking very nice and clean imo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The zalman front panel where I can dial down the fans. The project has to be quiet as I want to listen to my music in peace ;)

That's going to be bonded on and sprayed :D

Last edited: 14 Jun 2009
  18. kempez

kempez modding again!

Now for the lid. Neither me or Tom wanted the holes showing so they had to go ;)

[​IMG]

Tom doing some sticking here ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An Alu sheet to hold the filler, then filler on top....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then lots of sanding. Tom even got it so that it impressed the painter so it must be good :p

Other plans:

* A-frame (ish) for RADs.
    * Wheels put on
    * Front bays replaced with Lian Li fan mounts
    * False floor
    * Black powder coated internals

Looking sexy so far tbh :D

She's going to have my current rig in there as I'm still damn happy with it.

Abit IP35 Pro
    Q6600 @ 3.6-8GHz
    MSI 8800 GTX
    Decent Sound card of some type or other
    4GB OCZ ReaperX

Dual water loops:

2 x DDC's with EK tops
    EK 8800 GTX cooler
    EK 775 NB cooler
    D-Tek fuzion CPU block with quad nozzle

2 x 240 GTX RADs - mainly for their low profile

Last edited: 14 Jun 2009
  19. kempez

kempez modding again!

Right then, this project is a 'slow burner' and is getting done as and when, but Tom from TTLCustoms has been a busy boy prepping and painting by case. Must say the colour is sexy as hell :D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats the case all primed and hung ready to have its colour coat.

But thats not it..... Oh hell no, Ive got a cruise missile up me jacksee atm......

Porsche.... hmmm nice.... Porsche Lapis Blue.... Splat! Damn if this was a woman I'd....

DONT say anything about finger prints as the paint is still fresh, its not even been cut back or polished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not forgetting this HASNT been cut or polished yet and will be a mirror when done...

[​IMG]

Massively huge thanks to Tom who's been doing an awesome job :)

20. Matticus

Matticus ...

Wow loving it so far. That colour is great, shame about the finger prints in the pictures.

Quite a few of your pictures aren't showing up, at least not for me.

Post #21 at the top of this page has no piccys :(

kempez likes this.
Tags: