bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Dec 2007, 07:56   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
bit-tech's Top 10 Games of 2007

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/12...ames_of_2007/1

2007 has been a great year for gamers and we've had a lot of fun testing and reviewing all the latest games - but which are the best? We've ranked the top ten games of the year across all platforms and you'll only find the results in here!

Old 18th Dec 2007, 08:37   #2
ryanjleng

ryanjleng has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh, sweet pearl of bohemian toosh... your list came just in time for my long vacation!

just finished Bioshock and started COD4 yesterday and will work through your list until dropping dead of dehydration.

great read! thanks.
ryanjleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 08:41   #3
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Had a quick look on there, I have played 2 games on that list
I still havnt played HL2:EP2 yet. I will save it for my few days off work at xmas.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 08:42   #4
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
I woulda swapped Bioshock and Call of Duty 4, but that's just me
Old 18th Dec 2007, 08:48   #5
pillow
Supermodder

pillow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
umm, cod4 should be number one.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 08:49   #6
oasked
Stuck in the Mud

oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.
Glad to see that Crysis is higher than COD4.

Apart from the Chernobyl mission (and possibly the mission on the boat at the beginning) I didn't enjoy COD4 at all. This is purely due to the endless-spawning enemies, which I absolutely loathe as a game mechanic. I can't comment about the multiplayer.

Crysis on the other hand was highly enjoyable and as I played COD4 I missed a lot of the things that Crysis introduced - like customisable guns for example. I had a blast playing it.

I've yet to play Bioshock or Super Mario Galaxy, but I might have to argue over that order after xmas. Good list guys.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:08   #7
tzang
Traditional Nutter

tzang has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great list although I can't comment on Super Mario Galaxy as it is the only title I don't have.

I'm surprised to see S.T.A.L.K.E.R. popping up on that list. It looked like a game that you either like or hate, I went with the latter. Stranglehold is more fun

Dell XPS M1710 T7200 | 4GB DDR2 | 7950GTX | 320GB HDD - Apple MacBook T8300 | 4GB DDR3 | 9400M GS | 250GB HDD
tzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:23   #8
ryanjleng

ryanjleng has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
is it me or COD4 appeared to be very short... just finished the game. :|

Last edited by ryanjleng; 18th Dec 2007 at 09:29.
ryanjleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:26   #9
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzang
Great list although I can't comment on Super Mario Galaxy as it is the only title I don't have.

I'm surprised to see S.T.A.L.K.E.R. popping up on that list. It looked like a game that you either like or hate, I went with the latter. Stranglehold is more fun
That's because I put STALKER at #3 on my list I played it twice to get the extended endings.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:28   #10
AlexB
Web Nerd and WC Addict

AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.
Meh. Orange box is overrated. Games we've already played, and a 'mini game'.

Bioshock/Forza2 for me.
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I shoulda've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt, and trouble.
1: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, AMD 7970 (3gb), Corsair 256gb SSD
2: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, Nvidia 680GTX (4gb)
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:30   #11
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjleng
is it me or COD4 appeared to be very short... just finished the game. :|
Well, I did tell you it was short...

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:35   #12
mrb_no1
Pie Eater

mrb_no1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice list guys, I'm glad cod4 fell below crysis too, cod4 just didnt excite me but i liked what crysis brought to the table. I'm also glad that halo fell to the bottom of the list as i wasnt impressed at all when it was played, the same with mass effect. The only game i havent played is the mario one and thats because i dont have a Wii...

I'm normally a lover not a hater, but S.T.A.L.K.E.R brought out the worst in me and thats the only game i'd move down the list, possibly off of the list but i'm having trouble thinking of a game to replace it *yawn, its too early*. Other than that quibble its a good top 10, and my what a year its been for us gamers! i hope 2008 has some promise, or i'll have to ration my game usage until something new comes out :P
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3600Mhz Asus Maximus II Formula ATI Radeon 4890 (1000Mhz Core + 1200Mhz Mem OC) 2x2G Corsair Dom. PC 8500 @ 1080Mhz Aquacomputer WC Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty 150G Raptor, 2x1500 + 1x750 + 2x500 Seagate (SATA2) Pioneer DVD burner Lian Li - PC 73SL Aluminium Silent Server Case Dell 2007WFP 20" Widescreen Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers Sennheiser HD270
mrb_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:36   #13
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Sorry, I think COD:4 should be in third, BioShock in second and Crysis in First, with OB fourth or 5th.

OB seemed like HL2 plus a bit more, and I really didn't like that.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:42   #14
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

For the most, agree with your classification.
The Orange Box is the best 2007 package.
Bit-Tech keeps overrating Bioshock, though.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:46   #15
LVMike
Supermodder

LVMike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i just finished mass effect tonight after 35+ hours of game time. it was enjoyable and earned a spot on this list and i think 10th is probably the right place. The game was good but had its issues, but was a fun experience. i cant fault the list much , but i am wondering why supreme commander wasn't on the list?
LVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:02   #16
Bursar
Hypermodder

Bursar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bioshock was massively over rated. A decent game, but certainly not one I'm ever likely to go back to. I don't get where the love for Crysis is coming from either? It's just another FPS. Very pretty (as was FarCry), but really, is it all that? The demo put me right off.

STALKER had more holes in it than a giant swiss cheese. It wouldn't run for more than 5 mins without locking up/crashing to desktop. How does that warrant a nomination? Surely games, in addition to being good, have to actually be playable?
Bursar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:04   #17
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
I thought it was brilliant. Played fine for me on two year old hardware, and was an enjoyable and fairly long game, with a decent selection of items and missions, with a good story line.

COD:4 should also get praise for the fact it looks brilliant but will still run on your PCWorld PC.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:07   #18
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMike
i just finished mass effect tonight after 35+ hours of game time. it was enjoyable and earned a spot on this list and i think 10th is probably the right place. The game was good but had its issues, but was a fun experience. i cant fault the list much , but i am wondering why supreme commander wasn't on the list?
It was on my list... but nobody elses
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:15   #19
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
good list
dont quite agree on some of them or the order but thats to be expected :P

imo
1) Orange box (TF2, portal and ep3 are all awesome theres no way to rate these against each other as they're all completely different)
2) Crysis (daft story but utterly gorgeous and really really fun, i loved this game)
3) CoD4 (fantastic gameplay, nice graphics and daft story, also loved this game)
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:24   #20
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
I agree pretty much completely with you joe - I was thinking "CoD4 should be higher", but that would be in a PC-only list, and SMG is a great game, certainly the best non-sports on the Wii.

About the only thing I disagree with you on is World In Conflict - I just hated that game, something about the way the action is so small most of the time, I prefer my RTS's to be a large, grand-scale affair. Somewhere between C&C and SupCom...

I must agree on the Orange Box as though - Portal was probably my favourite game of this year, with CoD4 coming in 2nd. I just love the way the story sucks you in, along with the brilliant portal concepts for level design. An absolute masterpiece...