bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:53   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
'Sex Workers' says GTA normalises violence

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/12...ses_violence/1

Today is International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers and those involved are quick to tell us why they think violence in the industry is a problem.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:55   #2
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers

They really do have too much free time, don't they?
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:02   #3
quack
\o/

quack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Between Johns, yeah.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:06   #4
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
at least this makes them feel important
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:30   #5
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
So it didn't bother them 2004-2006?
It strikes me as a little odd that the game would be out 3 tears before it was decided that it's wrong to shoot prostitutes or run them over to get your money back.

It's a GAME. We play them because it's WRONG to kill people etc. in real life, and we all get a little guilty pleasure from being able to do it in a virtual world. It doesn't make us bad people, or the games bad.

Would Jack the Ripper have gone on his killing spree if he'd had a little R&R with GTA: San Andreas on his PS2?

Who Knows....
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:41   #6
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
The whole thing is so screwed up I don't know where to start: "sex trade workers" prostitutes, games that glorify random violence on "innocent" (simulated) people, ... ?
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:43   #7
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders View Post
Would Jack the Ripper have gone on his killing spree if he'd had a little R&R with GTA: San Andreas on his PS2?

Who Knows....
He probably would have..

Maybe Nexxo will correct me on this, but I'm inclined to think that if somebody is mentally imbalanced in such a way as to be homocidally psychotic to begin with, then it doesn't matter one way or another whether they play games or not.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 11:20   #8
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders View Post

Who Knows....
He probably would have..

Maybe Nexxo will correct me on this, but I'm inclined to think that if somebody is mentally imbalanced in such a way as to be homocidally psychotic to begin with, then it doesn't matter one way or another whether they play games or not.
Have you not seen all the progoganda, it does matter!
Old 18th Dec 2007, 13:27   #9
wolff000
I am here to steal your secrets.

wolff000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why do we placate these people by posting this stuff and acting like it's news. Everyone here knows these people are full of shizer. I say we ignore the ignorant people and maybe someday they will shut the hell up.
The gospel according to Myamoto, Chatper three, verse six..."And it is written that the gaming of man will die, and rest silent for two years. But on the eighty-fifth year of the twentieth century, it shall rise again. And its triumphant return shall be heralded by two great plumbers and thou will know gaming has been born again."
wolff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 13:35   #10
Drexial
Supermodder

Drexial has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
although jack the ripper is a perfect example of how this type of violence is not a result of a game. but a result of an instability. he was doing this what 200 years before? 300 maybe? don't remember the exact time period. but regardless. i feel more people would be inclined to emulate him more then anything. the people that kill prostitutes aren't usually killing them because they are prostitutes, there is an idea about them that they wouldn't be missed. which is a sad way of looking at things.
Drexial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 15:51   #11
salesman
Multimodder

salesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsalesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
maybe to balance this out there needs to be a game made where you play a sex worker. just throwing it out there.
E8400 3.0GHz | ASRock P45X3 Deluxe | EVGA 570 GTX | 8 GB GSkill memory | Crucial M4 64GB Boot Drive | 3x Samsung F3 1TB Raid 0 | 2x Samsung F4EG 1.5TB Raid 0 | Corsair AX750 PSU | Noctua NH-U12P | Antec P180 | M-Audio Audiophile 192 | Marantz PM5004 | Cambridge Soundworks Speakers | Duckey Shine | Dell U2410 |
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 16:20   #12
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Those ho's better shut the hell up else ima beat their asses.

suga' just don't know when to keep it's mouth shut these days...
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 16:35   #13
Edenalig
Modder

Edenalig has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Im guessing the kind of person who frequents a "sex worker" would already be in some sort of abnormal frame of mind and thats before you even consider the "workers" circumstances them selves! When you get a supermarket worker or similar that comes up with the same story I will consider it, but this is just rubbish!
Edenalig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 17:43   #14
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm sorry, hookers, did our video game offend you?

Sex worker my arse. Whine when you're not busy doing the nasty for money :/
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 18:16   #15
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wish they mentioned the good, moral aspects of GTA. They must have forgotten the bits where you had to sort out the people abusing Jizzy B's girls...
Old 18th Dec 2007, 20:28   #16
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
yet another bunch of uniformed people bashing something they don't know and don't want to learn more about......
Old 18th Dec 2007, 20:32   #17
mrplow
obey the fist!!

mrplow has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmrplow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
err, how about an International Day to End Sex Workers?

since when are we all trying to defend all the 'poor poor prossies'
Old 18th Dec 2007, 21:06   #18
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think they may have missed the point. It's not so much the game that normalizes violence against sex workers, it's the sort of attitudes that have been expressed in this thread. Basically the consensus view I'm seeing here is that sex workers are a lower form of human and deserve what they get. Video games may be the symptom, but the problem is when people start thinking they are superior to some "other" group of people. When you think you're better, then it follows that whatever you do to the "other" people is OK. Well, guess what, there are no "other" people, there is just people and in arguing for your superority you demonstrate only inferiority.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 21:32   #19
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
There's a video game out there where you can run down prostitutes and kill them and beat them up and take their money
Thats wrong, because i can drive over normal people too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edenalig
When you get a supermarket worker or similar that comes up with the same story I will consider it, but this is just rubbish!
I was savagely attacked by a pack of biscuits, so there must be a union to protects fools like me from mindless biscuits,
The "Supermarket Workers attacked by products Assosiasion" will come to my aid. Yea right.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2007, 21:38   #20
Akava
Lurking...

Akava has yet to learn the way of the DremelAkava has yet to learn the way of the DremelAkava has yet to learn the way of the DremelAkava has yet to learn the way of the DremelAkava has yet to learn the way of the DremelAkava has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkiller42
I was savagely attacked by a pack of biscuits, so there must be a union to protects fools like me from mindless biscuits,
The "Supermarket Workers attacked by products association" will come to my aid. Yea right.

Sam
LMAO! Thats brilliant, I have been violently attacked by a number of products, including a pack of nuts :O granted they where thrown at me by a colleague... but still...
The Main Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 ~ 3.0 | Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | Asus P5E | 8GB OCZ Gold DDR2 1066MHZ | ATI HIS HD4870 | 640GB WD : 1TB WD | Coolermaster CM690 | Dell 2407 24" | Razer Lycosa | Razer DeathAdder
Akava is offline   Reply With Quote