Linux Programming Tutorials For Beginners?

Discussion in 'Software' started by 123mccann, 18 Dec 2007.

1. 123mccann

123mccann What's a Dremel?

Hey, This is my first post. Ive been following bit-tech for about 6 months, but, anyway does anybody know of any decent programming tutorials for beginners.
    Not to complex, suitable for 15 year old.
    Preferably Python or, open source alternative.
    Thanks

*Note 15 year old as i'm starting young :D and really interested.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2007
  2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

3. 123mccann

Thanks, I already have the top one bookmarked. But the other two are great :D

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

It may be worth having a go at Java too (if you are that way inclined) as many business' are asking for Java programmers and a lot of advanced courses teach it too :)

Sadly however I have no idea where to start and I'm just thinking out loud.

5. 123mccann

Oh right, yer i've considered that also, its just at my school we learn S*** about computers all based around Microsoft Office. Rather Boring lol

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'd of said C, but I've been looking into Python recently and damn it looks hot. C is a powerful language, which once learned will be a real asset - especially since most notions in C translate to other languages (especially Java).
    As this is in Linux, I'd recommend picking up a little of bash too, it's so useful to know, and regular expressions are a universal skill.

Oh, and 16 isn't young. Try 11 ;)!

P.P.S. How about assembly for a challenge? ;p super fast, lightweight and well... did I mention fast and lightweight?

7. 123mccann

11 :jawdrop:
    I wouldn't consider myself stupid :D
    and i'm finding this challenging never mind a 11 year old.

I seen that BASH article in the bits section earlier only had a peek, I will have a good read through it now.
    Thanks

8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Want to look like a geek programmer? Then there is only 1 language!

Code:
    ++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.

9. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad The 20 Year Old Guy

I'm in my 2nd year at university doing programming and we haven't moved off this yet

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Obviously class teaching is better, but that covers pretty much everything based on java.

10. 123mccann

Thanks for all the help so far its much appreciated, ill probably be having a look at Python first then moving on to Java.
    Oh right, Which university do you go to?

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Eek!
    Python is nice :) I like what little I know :blush:
    It is based on C isn't it though?

12. 123mccann

I believe/think it is. :eyebrow:

Last edited: 19 Dec 2007
  13. shadow12

shadow12 I lie

Maybe java seems a bit boring but get some multi threaded programming with sockets thrown in for good measure and things soon seem interesting. But C and C++ should be the basic foundations for most programmers, although later you may prefer Python, Perl, Ruby or dare I say it Java.

14. warlord2000ad

I'm quite good in java myself, but making a good is a pain. If you want a GUI do it in Visual Studio with VB/C# :)

15. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

I think Ruby would be your best bet, it’s my most widely used language.

16. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Ok, So I know i'd like to learn a bit of Java and learn how to use Swing to do a GUI but... How do I install the compiler? From reading - it appears that I should use GNU Compiler for Java http://gcc.gnu.org/java/ but I havent a clue as to how I am suppost to install this. Is the compiler Linux only? If so - what release should I be using - anyone know a guide as to how to install it on linux?

17. warlord2000ad

Go here, http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Download JDK 6 Update 3 with NetBeans 6.0.

Then use Netbeans to do your programming. To use netbeans after the install, you create a new project by clicking file, new project. (This makes a folder to hold your programming)

In the files tab you can then click on source and do add (new java file, GUI file, other bits and pieces) and you do your programming in there. To run it you then click run in the menu at the top.

I find using netbeans easier than notepad with command prompt.

18. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

19. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

It depends what is your goal, IMHO, if you are really serious about this you should go for C++.

If not, go for C# or Java ...

If you go for C++ get some online tutorials, then when you are done with the basics get this for reference: the C++ book from Bjarne Stroustrup
    When you are enough advanced get this: it will IMPROVE alot your programming style:
    Effective C++ Cd: 85 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series) by Scott Meyers

Whatever language you choose if it is Object Oriented (and I advise you to go for an Object Oriented language the sooner you can if you want to do something else than low level programming), try to learn about design patterns, programming styles, unit testing, ... and all the techniques that save you alot of time and debugging during the development process ...

In fact I recommend you to go for C++ because C++ combines Object Oriented and is quite low level, so you will know how a computer works really. C# and Java are run in virtual machines and if you learn on these you may not learn or skip the parts about how your computer is really handling the memory/stack and such ...

If you had time you could go for low level C under an Unix (it will be actually easier to learn C using a Linux than Windows)

20. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

I'm trying to learn C++ myself at 14. Bit intimidating to start with, but I picked up some books from the library and am beginning to get the hang of it now... might try Java...

Tags: