bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Dec 2007, 07:34   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Girls prefer 2D over 3D games

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/12...ver_3d_games/1

All those spam emails I get are apparently wrong - it IS what you do with it that counts and less is now officially more to girls.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 08:01   #2
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
There is just one and only one reason why girls/woman prefer 2D over 3D. See, it is very simple to explain. Girls/Woman can not navigate, its a proven fact they cant. 3D is all about navigation in a mazelike environment.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 08:15   #3
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
To me, depends on the platform.

DS: 2D, because it looks horrible trying to do 3D.
PSP: Could do with more 2D
Most other things: 3D

Overall, I'm more into the story, and the playability than the number of dimensions it's displayed in :B
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 08:21   #4
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i've got a girl on my live friends list and she kicks arse on gears of war & COD4, but it makes you think about what type of girl she is..........
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 08:42   #5
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
My GF just can't seem to get the hang of WASD....

GF: "It's WRONG!!! Can't they put the mouse on the other side and use the Arrow keys? That's why they're Arrows, isn't it?"
Me: "Dear Lord..."
GF: (roars with anger) "It's STUPID! I'm going back to my DS"
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 08:51   #6
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
this does mesh rather nicely with a report that found men to be better at tasks which require spatial awareness (i.e, navigating a 3d environment) - they assumed this to be because the men of the stone age went hunting lots and had to know the area intimately while the women stayed home and sewed, or something.
can't find the report now though.

@badders, it doesn't sound like you properly justified the usage of WASD over the arrow keys (i.e, there are more keys surrounding them for other functions without moving from motion!) - women need that!
Old 19th Dec 2007, 10:10   #7
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
If I play a game (the odd ocation) it's actually a 1D game Less is indeed better then more
Old 19th Dec 2007, 11:44   #8
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My wife gets sick when she watchs a 3d game and if she trys to play one its only 5 mins at a time. She loves Assasins Creed but I think its going to be a few years before she finishes it.
Old 19th Dec 2007, 11:53   #9
KoenVdd
Multimodder

KoenVdd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
At home I'm the only one who plays games, so I can't really compare. I still prefer 3D, but that's also since I'm a GFX freak. At home it's strangely enough my mom and sister that have a sense of direction and me and my dad that always get lost (evolution likes to have it's laughs apparently). The most challenging is in Prey in the gravity wall levels in multiplayer, since you cant even use gravity as a reference point to orient, it took me ages just to find my way around a single level, and still then I get surprised form time to time to see where I end.
KoenVdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 11:53   #10
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i bet its because 2D games are ususally easier and targeted at a more casual crowd than 3D games...i bet its the difficulty lvl that makes girsl go for 2D games, take wow for example, its a 3D game, but without the difficutly lvl of other 3D games and whats the result? its popular even among girls.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 12:13   #11
po0
What's a Dremel?

po0 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Personally as a female gamer these articles make me cringe. I play 2D or 3D. 3D predominately purely because that's how the majority of games are released these days. Ill still take most guys/girls to school on games like Halo.

Although my navigation skills outside of a game is pretty poor in game I have no problem finding how to get from A - B in game.

I think repetition is the key
po0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 12:31   #12
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
po0, no need to cringe. While the studies mentioned above (regarding spatial acuity in men and women) are something I think many of us have heard of, it's a 15th-percentile thing, which is a clever statistical phrase indicating that it applies only in the most general terms - the ranges cross over a lot. A large proportion of women will score just as highly on these tests as Mr. Completely Average.

I wouldn't, for instance, wish to question these fine ladies on their spatial acuity. Particularly the one in the back.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 12:49   #13
jakenbake
full duplex

jakenbake has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
after years of trying to get my gf to play CSS, i've finally gotten her to at least try TF2. I'm pretty sure the only reason she even attempted was because of the graphics, which kind of goes along with what this article says. i actually think she liked it, once she realized she could pick the mouse up and bring it back to the center of the pad...
Old 19th Dec 2007, 13:15   #14
Lazarus Dark
Supermodder

Lazarus Dark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I read this story to my gf and she wanted to slap me just for reading it. Does this not seem sexist to anyone else a bit?
"girls are helpless and frail and like games that are easy and have unicorns and don't make them have to use their brain."
I'm sorry, while some groups of people I have found to live up to their stereotypes, in my 26 years of experience, I have not found women to live up to the weak stereotype, they're all different.
Old 19th Dec 2007, 14:06   #15
Djizasse
Minimodder

Djizasse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nowadays is impossible to say/write anything without having someone playing the "victim" and refering the word "stereotype".
This's a study that has statistical results. It's not sexism.
There're more studies that conclude that USUALLY women are more organized/responsible than man. Is this sexist? Women USUALLY are more sensible that men. This must also be sexismů This argument could go onů The fact is that women are different to man, our brains process information in distinct ways.

Anyway, how can I expect that my GF takes up the mouse and start fragging in UT 2003? She's never been into videogaming, like the MAJORITY of girls i know. I can't expect her to develop the skills i took years to learn, in a day or two. She does not even like FPS games. But women are getting into video gaming. Let's see what happens with our children. I'll just continue to game, not caring if the german that headshooted me is a male or female
Djizasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 14:24   #16
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark
I read this story to my gf and she wanted to slap me just for reading it. Does this not seem sexist to anyone else a bit?
"girls are helpless and frail and like games that are easy and have unicorns and don't make them have to use their brain."
I'm sorry, while some groups of people I have found to live up to their stereotypes, in my 26 years of experience, I have not found women to live up to the weak stereotype, they're all different.
Erm, it's not sexist at all. Because, and you might want to sit down for thios bit... men and women are different! That's right, they're not the same! Men are better at some things, women at others. It's a well known thoery that men are better at spatial awareness (though not nearly as good as chimps) as women, but women can multitask physically and mentally far better than men. If this is true, it supports this report's findings. It annoys me when something like this comes out and people brand it sexist. Is producing clothes in different sizes fatist or heightist? Perhaps we should all be reduced to identical a-sexual blobs of undeterminate colour, then everyone would be finally equal.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 14:39   #17
RinSewand
Useful

RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RinSewand is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'd agree with the article, however my ex was shockingly good at pretty much every type of game bar racing. Though she did like the oldskool console games which are 2d... interesting.

RwD
RinSewand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 16:23   #18
Thacrudd
Where's the any key?!?

Thacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run Crysis
I have to agree with the CONCEPT. My GF plays console games, mostly old-school 2d games. I would in no way say that one sex is better than the other though. She can totally rule tetris and SMB 3, as well as newer titles also. I think the bottom line is that this atricle is based more on casual gamers than hardcore gamers.
Thacrudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2007, 17:29   #19
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My mum likes playing sonic on the Mega Drive, got her it on the PS2 though a few months ago, once she learnt the new "funny controller" she was playing again lol :P