bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 20th Dec 2007, 01:44   #1
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
CaseMod: Molesworth

Well, I'm back at it again, but this time I have a deadline... Christmas... more accurately the 23rd of December 07.

While watching Norm Abram on The New Yankee Workshop, he had a piece on Molesworth furniture. So I decided to try my hand at a western theme for someone who lives in Colorado. I decided to go with Red Oak and Pine. I know not a normal combination, but I liked the idea of working with both types of wood.

Now I must appologize up front, this mod is going quick. There will only be a few posts by the 23rd. (4 days and counting)

Here is a shot of the red oak. I had some 2x4 red oak and some 1x3 red oak.

I cut the 2x4 to size and ended up with 4 1.5x1.5 stiles. and I cut the 1x3 stock for the long and short rails. They are going to be tenons and the stiles will recieve the mortices.

Here are the layout lines for the mortices.

Here is a shot of the mortices after I finished.

I cut the short rails and dry fitted them together...

Here is a close up of the the bottom front rail.

Here is a shot of the other mortice. You can just see the other tenon.

Here are the long rails set up with blue tape to minimize chiping. Although oak is very hard, it is prone to chipping. It was amazing how clean the cuts were with this litte bit of tape.

Here is a shot of the ends of the tenons.

Here is a shot of the stiles and some of the faces. The design is supposed to mimic wormholes. It runs on the outside faces of the stiles. The pine in the background is a fisherman and is the front plate. I plan on stealthing the DVD behind it.

This is an Antelope.

This is the bottom plate for the case.

A shot of a glue up for the MOBO back plate.

The next are shot of the case dry fitted together.

This is a shot of the doors. The hinges are hidden on the inside and will pull out. I've already put on the first coat of polyurethane.

This is a shot of a hunter and a boy.

Here is a shot of the rails with a fresh coat of Red Sedona Stain.

Here are the stiles.

The next are the unfinished backplate, mobo mount and DVD & HD brackets (made of MDF board)

Hopefully more to follow soon.

Last edited by Pfaffen; 20th Dec 2007 at 01:50.
Pfaffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2007, 03:59   #2
Hazmat
What's a Dremel?

Hazmat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Holy Urination Batman, those reliefs are amazing!

4 Days huh, don't you have a job , and aren't wormholes a li'l scifi for a western?

Everything looks great, good luck and watch your fingers!
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2007, 04:06   #3
mvagusta
Did a skid that went for two weeks.

mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Damn! When did you start this? There's gotta be at least a full-time week's worth of work there, if not a month? Awesome
mvagusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2007, 04:19   #4
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
thats some pretty nice woodwork. i was watching Norm the other day too.

500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2007, 05:54   #5
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
That's three cases I've watched you build, (Worldmap was already finished when it showed up,) and I still haven't finished ONE!
Are you a machine?
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2007, 06:44   #6
tranc3
ADHD Modder

tranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow my step dad, heck even my real dad to would love that, thats beautiful work you got there man. good job keep it up.
Old 20th Dec 2007, 10:30   #7
tolis86
Multimodder

tolis86 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice work!!
tolis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2007, 13:53   #8
lworbey
Multimodder

lworbey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
4 Days huh, don't you have a job , and aren't wormholes a li'l scifi for a western?
I assume from looking at those he means the type of patterns real earth worms make in the soil not the sci-fi type wormholes in space...

Looking very nice, you've got your work cut out for you to get that done but I'm sure you'll do it!

Laptop: Asus 1000H EeePC, Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM

HTPC: TBC
lworbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2007, 15:17   #9
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Lol @the wormholes, punpun, took a second or two to understand.

Good job, especially impressive progress in such small amount of time.
Old 20th Dec 2007, 21:51   #10
Gumbatron
Multimodder

Gumbatron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's some nice woodwork there.
Gumbatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2007, 22:16   #11
widmod
Supermodder

widmod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
great work as always
i like the outher pannels
widmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2007, 21:04   #12
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
That's three cases I've watched you build, (Worldmap was already finished when it showed up,) and I still haven't finished ONE!
Are you a machine?
Yea, but your's is awesome!!!
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 00:24   #13
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
Holy Urination Batman, those reliefs are amazing!

Everything looks great, good luck and watch your fingers!
Thanks, but batman wasn't here. Well, wormholes are found in some very strange places...

Hey no cuts this time, or the last, or the one before that... It was the first one that cost me a gram of flesh...
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 19:54   #14
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Well, I think I'm there.

Here is a shot of the panels with black gloss paint.

Here is a shot of the doors

Front Plate and top

Here it is from the front right

Here is the inside. You'll notice nothing there. This is a gift, I'll have to make some spot changes to accomodate and differences in my template equipment and their production equipment.

Here is a shot of the back

Here is a shot from the left. Door Side

Here is the final and workshop shot.

Old 22nd Dec 2007, 23:16   #15
Scirocco
Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
That looks wonderful! Having grown up in Colorado in a very outdoorsy family, I would say that is a wonderful present they will treasure. My father would love that for sure.
Scirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 04:27   #16
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks! I'm glad you like my case, but you shouldn't make it sound like your cases aren't awesome too!
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2008, 01:28   #17
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scirocco View Post
That looks wonderful! Having grown up in Colorado in a very outdoorsy family, I would say that is a wonderful present they will treasure. My father would love that for sure.
Thank you very much.

Well, I'm back from Colorado and it was a greatly recieved Christmas Present.

We can now call this one complete.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful comments!!!
Old 4th Jan 2008, 06:37   #18
mvagusta
Did a skid that went for two weeks.

mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
awesome & very quick! You'll have to take a couple of pics of it complete with the hardware installed the next time you visit then update the log. Very nice xmas present, this is the 2nd custom wood case xmas present i've seen here this year, maybe u guys will start a trend?
mvagusta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scratch build

View Mode