bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Dec 2007, 08:21   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Set up a RAID 5 array on the Interweb

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/12...via_interweb/1

Got a bunch of free FTP accounts in various places? Fancy accessing them as a single logical device via a RAID 5 array? Don't mind setting up the software equivalent of a Rube Goldberg contraption? The answer is here.

Old 24th Dec 2007, 08:59   #2
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
This would be fine if my internet speed was greater than 300Kilobits/sec!
There's the bottleneck!
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2007, 14:38   #3
nakchak
Minimodder

nakchak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
just a few fairly hefty flaws with the plan....

free ftp accounts tend to have transfer limits, i would imagine that the majority of your available bandwidth will be used to sync and send parity data

response times will be horrible, as will file searches.

i mean proof of concept is fine, but they could juat have easily built a raid5 array from 40 floppy drives and say the same things,
but i mean having a convoluted software raid setup just seems dumb to me, we all know software raid doesnt work very well, compared to the full fat server raid cards

unless you have a syncronus connection (same speed up and down, which you wont have in the UK unless you have a forked out serious for an SDSL line) then the system is a non starter, never mind that using your net connection like that would probably classify you as a server, which is against the the T&C's of most domestic ISP's in the UK.

frankly if you want cheap serious distributed storage consider using amazons S3 services, or just follow the how to build a linux server guide on bit, will get something far more usefull, and you can run games servers off it as well :-)
nakchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2007, 19:53   #4
Starfighter
Multimodder

Starfighter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
*FREE*, reliable, secure offsite backup solution? yes Please!
Old 26th Dec 2007, 18:15   #5
DeX
Mube Codder

DeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
*FREE*, reliable, secure offsite backup solution? yes Please!
Haven't you tried mozy yet?
DeX is offline   Reply With Quote