bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 5th Jan 2008, 06:01   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel leaves OLPC board

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/01...s_olpc_board/1

In a semi-surprising move, Intel has stepped down from the OLPC board after only six months and has decided to focus on Classmate instead.

Old 5th Jan 2008, 07:20   #2
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
hmmm, one the one hand they can make money, on the other they dont.
I wonder why they chose to leave...
Old 5th Jan 2008, 16:15   #3
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
From the looks of the Wikipedia article, they didn't really have much of an involvement given the majority of the hardware being supplied by AMD (and Marvell-provided WLAN) so I'm not too worried about them dropping out. The main issue will have been the funding they provided to the project, if it was anything other than just the 'Intel' as an official supporter (I'm sure it carries a fair weight globally.)

I'd imagine the real reason was that they didn't want to give any support to a project fundamentally-based upon AMD hardware. Shame really, considering the project's goals.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2008, 16:41   #4
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
"OLPC had asked Intel to end our support for non-OLPC platforms, including the Classmate PC, and to focus on the OLPC platform exclusively," said Mr Mulloy . "At the end of the day, we decided we couldn't accommodate that request."

He added that the use of AMD chips in the first XO laptops had not influenced its decision.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7171201.stm
Old 7th Jan 2008, 03:46   #5
cebla
Multimodder

cebla has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
To be honest I am not sure that the OLPC project is really all that worthwhile anyway. I am not quite sure how giving loads of kids laptops is going to miraculously increase their education or help bring their countries out of the "third world". Perhaps we would be best of addressing some of the other issues that they face such as food, clean water and shelter before giving them all laptops.
cebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2008, 18:25   #6
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebla View Post
To be honest I am not sure that the OLPC project is really all that worthwhile anyway. I am not quite sure how giving loads of kids laptops is going to miraculously increase their education or help bring their countries out of the "third world". Perhaps we would be best of addressing some of the other issues that they face such as food, clean water and shelter before giving them all laptops.
I don't think this is designed as a replacement for all of those things. This is more of a next step to development.

It's no secret that general use of a computer will increase ones aptitude in a century of advancing technology.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote