1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Games companies refuse to support EGM magazine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Make better products, then they won't get awful reviews.

Signed *whoever*

Would (are) bit-tech ever be in a position where advertisers can effect the score of a review (except not sending a product for review lol)? Anyone married to the maker of Bioshock? and the like :)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Never. C'mon you know that. Joe shoots straight from the hip.

We'd just review something else - there's plenty out there. Or we'd just wait until it's out and go buy it. Unlike these guys we don't rely on gaming as a sole source of content, although it is a big part of the site.

4. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

S'pose the next step is to start suing when a bad review is published. Companies might accuse reviewers of slander, defamation, bias and so on when one of their polished turds comes to market.

So much for unbiased, objective reviews...

5. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

LMAO..tool companies...do they think were not going to find out about their nefarious doings? Look what happened to gamespot. Like LeMaltor said, If they made better games( with a bit more originality..not fifa boodyXXXX) wed all be more happy.

6. CardJoe

True, dat. I give the truth of the matter no matter what - just yesterday I had to tell my parents that one of the books they got me for christmas was rubbish after the book round-up. Then I found out that the author is a head of a very big PR company too and could create trouble - but it didn't change the review, I just re-read it and made sure that my points were extra-clear and valid.

I tell the truth whenever I can and I'm very happy to enter into dialogues with readers about my review methods and scores. PMs or emails are always welcome.

7. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Talk about throwing your toys out of the parm!!

That's worse that 5 year olds in the playground "You said bad things about my game so you can't come to my party", if they released decent games then they would get decent reviews, is that concept just a little too complex for them?

As a side note it's funny that Sony sports division are part of the list as Stan Glasgow, Sony's COO, came out the other day saying "Our approach wasn't good. It failed and alienated many of you. We're sorry for that, and we spent most of 2007 taking a new approach - listening. We hope our 2008 product line shows that, but we aren't going to stop, either. If we didn't get it right, keep telling us. And if we did, tell us how we can make it even better." <-- Corporate BS for our sales are down please buy our stuff .

'nuff said!

8. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Oops, should say "toys out of the pram" was getting all excited dissing Sony ;)

9. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

You will listen to the music we tell you to listen to.

You will play the games we tell you to play.

You will fight the wars we tell you to fight.

And we will brook no criticism.

- Yours, the Military-Industrial Complex...

(Yes, OK, I'm losing my sense of proportion, but for cluck's sake.)

10. munim

munim What's a Dremel?

What the hell, man. How are we supposed to get unbiased reviews of games?

11. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

pay for a game play it and then throw it away like they want you to. doesn't matter how horrid a game is once they have your money.

besides i think most reviews of games are always biased in one way or another. there are a ton of games that got rave reviews that most people liked and a few didn't, and some that have received horrible reviews that some people like. even if there sint some behind the scenes corporate bias, the review it self is done by someone that needs to form an opinion.

12. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

The difference is though, a corporate bias means the games gets a good review every time. At least if it's someone's opinion they can love or hate it and give good reason why.

This reminds me of a pool game I had on the Dreamcast that I loved. But DC magazine gave it a 1 out of 10. I never understood why.

13. CardJoe

It's all opinion - but the point is that its not a corporate opinion and that the opinion is one of somebody with a massive background knowledge, understanding of the medium and the ability to express themselves. Some games I like too get bad reviews - like Sin Episodes. I love that game and I play it a lot. On the other hand though, I wouldn't give it a great score just because a company told me to and I would try as much as possible to detatch myself from opinion to form a review which is as objective as possible. Even if I then **** that up, I can fall back on the fact that I'm pretty close to the target audience and my opinions are very likely to mesh with the majority of them.

14. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

A few things I always look for in games reviews are:
    1) what the reviewer was looking for (graphics / sound / plot / complexity / interface / theme / play style / ...),
    2) how those factored into their rating (& maybe what parts of the game didn't factor in their rating),
    3) things I might be looking for that they didn't mention.

Usually I look at those and come up with my own rating. If a review doesn't cover at least the first two well it's a rubbish review.

Back to the original topic:
    I'd like to have the companies make an official statement (as long as it's not %100 spin) before I make up my mind but if the claims are true these companies deserve the bad press - or no press at all.

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Here's a question: Would Bit-tech bend a review to save their relationship with Asus and future reviews of their products? (This is a hypothetical scenario, but your answer should be genuine)

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Yeah, I can recall a few reviews read here that the product was torn a new one, to put it scientifically. I didn't detect a slant to anything, aside from an enthusiast ego which is expected and welcomed ;)!

I have nothing against EGM at all, having read it a few times. I prefer PC Gamer, but still. Dropped advertising for slamming a crappy product? That is ass.

17. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

Well, we all think that we would never do anything bad until it happens.
    And when it does happen, we still believe that what we did was not bad.

Why, because you did it, so it must be Okay then.

18. CardJoe

Nope. The whole issue is a hell of a lot more clean cut with hardware than with games because we always have benchmarks and hard data to back us up. PRs ring us every day to complain about stuff and we just explain, point to the results and leave it at that. If they can cast doubt on the reliability of our testing or our results then we'll work to get the most accurate data, but if the data is on our side then nothing more needs to be said.

19. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

Does anyone rely on 1 review anyway? Until I have found a number of reviews written by different people and also some feedback areas where anyone can post their opinion I don't believe what I read. Now if most of that feedback corelates to the reviews then I will put more faith into the review.

This list of comments is a perfect example. A BT writer can put down whatever they want. Read what they wrote, then read these comments. If they seem to agree then the review was probably pretty close. If, on the other hand, the comments are pointing out all the inaccuracies, mistakes and other problems then the review is not worth paying attention to.

20. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

.... and if the review does not provide for comments then it probably isn't worth reading.

Tags: Add Tags