bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Jan 2008, 12:50   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ship-based data centres are go

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/01...ntres_are_go/1

Stealth-mode start-up International Data Security has a novel idea to solve the growing cost of real estate for data centre use: converted cargo vessels.

CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2008, 13:48   #2
monkeybone
Minimodder

monkeybone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Seems like an interesting idea but will it float? (yes bad pun)

Monkeybone

Signup & Play League of Legends!
monkeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2008, 14:32   #3
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
the only think i can think is: "this might be interesting for pirates......"
Old 10th Jan 2008, 15:13   #4
woodshop
UnSeenly

woodshop has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE View Post
the only think i can think is: "this might be interesting for pirates......"
more like pirate bay if you slap a satellite internet connection on it and stick it in international waters..
woodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2008, 15:42   #5
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshop View Post
more like pirate bay if you slap a satellite internet connection on it and stick it in international waters..
arrrrr
Old 10th Jan 2008, 16:05   #6
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They could just use Sealand data centres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2008, 17:33   #7
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles View Post
They could just use Sealand data centres.
Sealand isn't really big enough to house a massive datacentre - it's only a small platform after all.
Old 10th Jan 2008, 17:37   #8
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i forsee horrible latency and bandwidth issues, unless ofcourse they intend to just dock these ships up somewhere and use shorebased internets
but that seems kinda pointless..
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2008, 18:17   #9
sam.g.taylor
Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

sam.g.taylor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah... let's put a business that completely depends on ELECTRICITY in a fragile, moving vessel surrounded by WATER...

Actually, I think it might turn out to be a good idea.
Old 10th Jan 2008, 18:58   #10
Vakuum
What's a Dremel?

Vakuum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
And the only thing i'm thinking about now is "I want a crate like that in my garage!"
Vakuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2008, 06:58   #11
Pegasus
Multimodder

Pegasus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think this is a brilliant idea.

SUN's "Black Box" Datacentres in a container
I looked into the design details of SUN's the new "Black Box datacentres" which is built into 20 and 40 foot containers. One only have to hook up power, Internet and water, then the datacenter is operational.

Cooling can be as much as 50% of the cost of running a data center
A study shows that these days about 50% of the cost of running a datacentre is spent cooling it down. With all the water available around a ship, that problem seems to have been taken care of!

Easy replacement of any component of your datacenter
Another issue is the hassel and cost of maintaining and replacing run-down or out-of-date-parts, be it the computers, cooling system, back-up diesel generators etc. of a data centre.

You can now get all of these items factory fitted, inside shipping containers. All you need to do is to off-load the old shipping container, and load a new one. It's brillient.

I have seen ferries being turbo charged for speed by adding a handfull of diesel generators in shipping containers, as to provide the electric or hydralic run thrusters of the ship with more power. To add a new engine in most ships, you have to poop the hood = chop off the entire top deck above the engine. The engines of some ships run a significant part of the length of the ship - so its just not a cost effective idea to "pop those hoods".

With every part of the datacenter installed inside containers re-fitting or re-using or scrapping the old stuff from an old "container" can easily be done anywhere in the world - its already pre-packed for easy shipping to the desitination of the workers.

It's an amasing and brillient development.

How to get one of these to improve my skills in WoW

Now we get to the really relevant question: Do I need to dig a canal to my back yard, in the event I'll need more data power running WoW. ...or maybe its enough to run a fibre to the nearest harbour? On second thought I think I'm in favour of the fibre solution.
Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2008, 07:28   #12
WildTangent
Minimodder

WildTangent has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why do you punish me? (Sorry, I just had to throw mine in...)
Old 11th Jan 2008, 17:46   #13
TGImages
Grandpa

TGImages has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Brings a new meaning to "Server went down".

All hands abandon ship!
TGImages is offline   Reply With Quote