1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Jan 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

First page is duplicated..again. There seems to have been an awful lot of mistakes in the articles recently. :worried:

3. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

When I first read "Black Edition" there I thought that AMD were going to be marketing a chip specifically to African Americans. :hehe:

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, just African - this is quad core for OLPC ;)

5. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

same old from amd as of late...shame really

6. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

Black! but the CPU looks Silver with the usual green PCB ! :confused:

7. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

Damn, it even scores lower than some X2 processors in some benchmarks, terrible effort from AMD!

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

That's really.. disappointing. I mean, I like the Intel chips, but it'd be nice if Intel could get off their high throne and quit strangling us for our money for their CPUs, but that requires AMD to be able to compete.. Which they clearly don't as of now.. :(

9. Naberius

I don't think you can really moan about the intel pricing at the moment, just look at the Q6600, ~£150 for a good performing quad core processor that can overclock like mad without too much effort.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

they have to be kidding....... either AMD starts doing something right or they will go the way of the dodo....

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, although as Rich points out... once you get to higher models, the price increases dramatically - double the price for a Q6700, as stated. :(

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its a shame AMD aren't competitive, even if they fix the TLB thing thats causing some 15% performance hit its still not going to look good, I hope they have some top fixes in the pipeline or sort out there process issues as theres not much incentive to go with AMDs CPU or GPUs at the moment and there hasn't been for a while.

I'd hate to go back to the old days when a decent CPU from Intel cost an arm and a leg even at entry level due to there being no viable competition.

13. Naberius

I could get a 5 year old to make a q6600 as fast as a q6700

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

But you couldn't get that five-year-old to make that 9x multiplier a 10x multiplier. ;)

15. Jebus.exe

Jebus.exe Beta V1.0.0.1

I realy wanted to make the complete spider, i guess i'll be waiting untill Q2 08 before amd put something on the market worth clocking.... :(

16. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Fair enough CPUs, but I don't think you can say they're doing as badly with the GPUs.

This whole thing is getting painful for me. I'd like to upgrade my 3800+ soon (although I have to say, it's not really struggling yet), but I can't possibly go intel! I never -ever- have, lol!

17. roadie

roadie What's a Dremel?

Yeah, waiting for the B3 stepping Phenoms is a must, it seems.

18. naokaji

naokaji whatever

*hugs his q6600 and e6550*

seriosuly though, amd needs nothing short of a miracle chip (and those dont really exist) to be able to compete again. they are loosing against the current c2d's and the new c2d's are comming very soon. phenom doesnt have any headroom clockwise, sure, maybe 100 - 200 mhz plus once tlb is fixed there will be some performance gain, but by far not enough. and amd's roadmaps dont look promising at all, nothing completly new comming till after nehalem.

19. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I don't think the B3 steppings are going to improve performance, all of the Bit-Tech results above are WITHOUT the TLB patch. Hopefully the B3 stepping will improve overclocking though.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The TLB was left ON so there was NO performance hit in our testing - that is exactly how a Phenom performs. The turning the TLB off drops the performance a further 2-10%. The only way AMD can compete is if they scale the chips upwards - kind of the point I was trying to achieve with the ocing :blush:

Tags: Add Tags