bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Jan 2008, 10:04   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Dell offers high-end Ubuntu laptop

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/01...buntu_laptop/1

PC maker Dell has quietly started offering Ubuntu Linux as an option on its high-end XPS M1330 laptop. A sign that the company is taking desktop Linux seriously?

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 10:42   #2
frontline
Punish Your Machine

frontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfrontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Having used Ubuntu on my laptop previously, i would switch to it as my main os of choice if it had the same games support as Windows.
Intel Core i7 2600K| Asus P8P67-M PRO R3 | Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler |Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V | Sapphire HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 | Crucial M225 128Gb SSD | Asus Xonar DX | LG W2261VP | Corsair GS800 PSU
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 10:56   #3
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
about time they offered it... now if more follow linux can gain enough marketshare to get games to support it.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 11:04   #4
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
proxess will be pleased
Old 25th Jan 2008, 11:20   #5
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wonder how many warnings you have to click through of "this is not windows, windows stuff will not work" before it will actually let you buy it this time?

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 11:46   #6
phat-ant
Modder

phat-ant has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anyone got a link for this, cant seem to see it on there site yet
was eyeing up one of these machines for some time now. ideal for work on the move
phat-ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 11:59   #7
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
I was running Gutsy on one of these for a week or so and it was really nice, I don't need the games compatibility (that's what my desktop is for), but for web browsing and light media use it was great, even the play/pause buttons worked with no faffing about. Now dell are doing pre-installed versions I'm guessing the driver support is even better (and definitely better than the XP driver support these had when they first came out...)
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 12:08   #8
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Going by the state of the pre-installs of Windows on Dell equipment I would hate to see what *******ised concoction of Ubuntu they come up with.
Old 25th Jan 2008, 12:29   #9
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Going by the state of the pre-installs of Windows on Dell equipment I would hate to see what *******ised concoction of Ubuntu they come up with.
well, there is still hope that dell bloatware isnt linux compatible yet

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 13:50   #10
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
I am pleased.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 15:02   #11
Amon
inch-perfect

Amon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
A sign that the company is taking desktop Linux seriously? [/I]
Oxymoron of the day.
Amon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 18:22   #12
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Doesn't seem to be on their site yet unless I am being particularly retarded. Those do look pretty sweet though - reasonably high specs with Vista from only £600, and Ubuntu should save a bit so ~£550? I know I'd like one (though obviously not as my main machine), much more so that the Macbook Airy fairy
Old 25th Jan 2008, 18:24   #13
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
It's Ubuntu, bloated by default
Old 25th Jan 2008, 19:29   #14
pumpman
Ultramodder

pumpman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well proof conclusive you can't please everyone, not even a Linux guy

even if its for commercial reasons I applaud Dell taking this approach
Old 25th Jan 2008, 19:36   #15
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm quite open about my opinion on Ubuntu, everybody knows it's not my cookie... I'm a power user

But don't get me wrong, I like the initiative. I just don't like the distro, but luckily it's easily wiped and replaced by my favourite distro
Old 25th Jan 2008, 23:11   #16
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Thats simply for being a power user. I on the other hand am different. I can't be bothered to become a power user. I'm just the regular guy that likes computers. I'm a bit conscious (tho not very) about software, so something free for my "superficial" use (as you'd probably think of it) with the easiness of Ubuntu is by far the best option. You can think of me as an enthusiast and not a power user. I've gotten other enthusiasts to come to the bright side, I won't stop. <3 Ubuntu
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 23:24   #17
Glider
/dev/null

That is the great thing about OSS, everyone has their preference. I fully agree that Ubuntu is great for a solution that 'just works'. I often recommend it to others for just that reason.

Linux is about choice
Old 25th Jan 2008, 23:50   #18
pumpman
Ultramodder

pumpman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
you get choice with windows, you can have basic ,premium,ultimate....... lol
Old 26th Jan 2008, 00:52   #19
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I doubt they are taking it seriously they are just trying to regain themselves and offer something to make them more unique due to the mass amount of Dell haters with good reason that are out there, I mean really now that they are offering their systems on a retail level kinda shows that they are struggling.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2008, 02:10   #20
phat-ant
Modder

phat-ant has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this is all well and good but has anyone found a proper link yet?
phat-ant is offline   Reply With Quote