1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Why Games Magazines Are Crap

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CardJoe, 6 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I hate crap like this. GamePro boasted for a while about having the exclusive low-down on Gears of War 2, mentioning it twice on the front page of the magazine and getting one really excited.

What did the "exclusive" turn out to be? Speculation from "insiders" about how "it's not enough to just retread shooter territory in Gears 2. The first game was great, but it didn't blow anyone away with originality. It simply put all the best aspects of other shooters into one amazing package. And aside from the obvious graphical superiority and online co-op mode, most of Gears of War was standard shooter stuff."

?!?!

Of course, even the speculation turned out to be baseless crap - Mark Rein has since come out and said that not a single fact is valid, that they never gave GamePro any exclusive and that the insider information is most likely false because its way off the mark.

People pay for this ****?!

Check Kotaku for the in-full illegal magazine scans - http://kotaku.com/353059/read-gamepros-nonsense-gears-of-war-2-article

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I stopped reading magazines after ONM got new staff in.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

EDGE forever!

4. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

+1

5. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

meh and bits free and better quality, even if theres less, but then again most of the stuff in gaming mags here that ive seen is addvertising

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've not bought a mag in ages, not since PlaystationPOWER really. I occasionally bought the official mag every now and again for the demos and stuff, but since you can download them now, there really isn't any point in a magazine anymore, I can get all my information off the internet for free.

7. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Defo, I sub to Edge mainly for something to read when I'm offline. Sometimes it can have "dated" stories i've read on the web. For upto the second info you can't beat the internets... and Bit-Tech specifically, obviously. :D :thumb:

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Hello Shopkeep, I'd like to pay £5 for a book full of adverts and games news I've already read.

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Exlclusives is one of the last things Magazines have, you almost can't blame them for trying.

Emphasis on the almost.

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I wish we had exclusives like this!

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

We get proper exclusives though - like the Haze thing where we got to go hands on with the game for hours and hours, see a lot of things we promised not to mention to anybody and got to do it all a full fortnight before everyone else.

And by we, I mean I. :p

12. Major

Major Guest

Only magazine I buy is Stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Feb 2008
  13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Let's see ...

From their words the game is ..

-A great game
    -All aspects of other shooters in one package
    -Graphical superiority
    -Online Co-Op mode

but still the game was standard shooter stuff ?

that's bs

I have never even played the game but that kind of talk gets on my nerves anyway

I bet these guys play Nerf Arena every freaking night

nubs ..

14. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Games magazines? They still selling those things?:hehe:

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I think thet last mag I bought will have been either Gamesmaster, CVG or Total when I was in school at 15 which was about 12 years ago. I used to buy all the magazines back then and then it just stopped. I looked at a games magazine a month ago and the price of them now is very high. Your better off using the internet for reviews, news and even demos and videos all for free.

16. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

PC gamer used to be a pretty awsome mag back in the day. Full of witt and sarcasm... you didn't buy it for the games more the wrighting.

17. EternalIllusion

EternalIllusion What's a Dremel?

Last gaming mag i bought had the PS2 launch on the cover.

18. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I haven't bought a gaming mag since Max Payne 2 came out.

Some of them are quite good, but the trouble is that it takes them such a long time to go to print that they are often out of date by the time they make it to shelves. They're also really expensive - £6 usually.

Bugger that, I'll read it all on the internet for free thanks. :)

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Since we are reminiscing, the last games magazine I bought was the official nintendo 64 magazine when Ocarina of Time was reviewed.

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I like PCGamer for the subtle humour and sense of togetherness tinged by snobbery. It makes it more interesting than a website - where sites are democratic, magazines are fascist, and in some ways they benefit. Like having content edited, and not having to wade through every tom, wang and harry's unfounded views.
    When you get a magazine, you get the view of a half dozen people. With the net, you get everyone's views. Some days, I prefer the former.

The most **** magazine I bought was PCPlus. It's modding for grannies, and not even much of that when it comes down to it.

Tags: