1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Zotac GeForce 8800 GT 512MB AMP! Edition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I agree with your review - for those that require a single slot solution - this is the cats whiskers. Otherwise, look elsewhere for your screen-filling polygon-prodding wundermachine.

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Wow - I thought my Asus EN8800GT (Glaciator Cooler model) temps were high at 47 Idle 65 Load! This only goes up by 5 degrees when overclocked to 700/1750/2000 as well!

Looks like I have some room to play compared to the reference model then!

Nice review though, I do agree with your conclusion though. My card was £179 when I bought it at the end of December. Most 8800GT's at stock speeds are now £30-40 less.

But that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess!

4. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Great review and it looks like a nice 8800GT OC'd to it's limits, but I really don't see the point in this card when an 8800GTS costs about the same and can OC'd higher...

Oh and you refer to the "Dinosaur Theme" on the card and box, it looks more like a dragon to me as I don't remember any fire-breathing dinosaurs from my last visit to the Natural History Museum ;)

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yes, you're probably right - I wrote this pretty late at night :blush:

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Could it not be a fire breathing dinosaur? That's about as steeped in reality as a dragon is.

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

There are some things that are acceptable, and others that just aren't.

I fire-breathing dinosaur? Come off it!

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

So a mythical winged lizard is ok, but a real life animal who just happens to gozz liquid napalm is crazy? Foul play I cry! Why do you think the dinosaurs died out if it wasn't for them accidentally setting everything on fire? The evidence is undisputable.

9. trig

trig god's little mistake

nice mem...wish i could get there..

10. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

By playing with my own 8800GT, I've come to think that OC in terms of video isn't necessarily as interesting as it seems. Idealisticly, assuming that the graphics card was the only component in the machine, a %10 overclock would lead to a 10% increase in performance, ie. framerate. Seeing that I am struggling to get Crysis playable at my desired settings, benching around 25fps average. A 10% overclock would only yield a boost of 2.5fps. While every little bit does count, it's not really enough to push me into the smooth/playable realm. Hardly a big boost or anything.

At higher performance levels (eg 60fps) an OC like that leads bigger results, but then at that point you don't really need the extra performance anyhow. I'm guessing that performance games in the neighborhood of %30 or so would become meaningful, but from an overclock (on the 8800GT at least) thats not very realistic.

So personally I'm not sure it's worth all the extra bother, as the impact vs investment (either in buyingi a PRE-OC'd card, or going through the trial/testing required to do it yourself) doesn't really justify itself.

11. neal

neal What's a Dremel?

8800gt are quite cheap now...i mite get the overcloed evga

Tags: Add Tags