1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Latest iPhones now unlockable

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

if you could use any other software other than itunes, i would be interested. its just bloatware with no really functionality.

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

5. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Yeh that new Xperia is looking hot. When i saw the pics i pretty much wet myself. My phone contract expires in june so a few months to go yet but i hope its available then...anyone reckon whether it will be available for free on £35 a month handsets?

6. fev

fev Industry Fallout

no...it's a premium handset

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Figures that the easy versions of the jailbreaking and latest hacks always come out about ten minutes after I do it in a terminal window. Oh well.

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Yeah, let's be realistic - a 2G phone with a crummy camera, no video camera, no GPS and no storage expansion (among other notable omissions) was never going to be a bleeding edge handset. Apple doesn't do ultra-high tech. What Apple does do exceptionally well is designer hardware with slick, intuitive user interfaces, seamless product integration and frankly amazing marketing. The iPod is not the most fully-featured MP3 player, nor does it offer the best sound quality or value. Similarly, there are better flash players than the Nano and you can get a substantially better laptop or desktop for the same money as Apple's offerings. But when it comes to how much people want an iPod Touch, or an iPhone, or (and this is where I am most guilty at the moment) a MacBook Air, no other brand comes close. I know it's absurdly overpriced and that I have no need for a laptop that thin, but it is just so pretty I can't help myself.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Same here. Shall we start an AA meeting (Appleholics Anonymous)?

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I quite agree mclean007 (though I think it's technically 2.5G, but I don't care). Now that I'm well out of high school, I actually value my time. I simply have better things to do than to be fighting with the latest-and-greatest. If Apple provides something that does just what I need, then it's worth my money. They do just this. While they may charge a premium if you're only going by hardware costs, the time I'm not spending always screwing around with stupid crap just so my hardware runs as it should is worth the extra 10% or whatever the case may be.

Sure, plenty will buy it because it's sleek and they want to be "in" - I know a couple people where I work with iPhones have them for that reason. I got mine because it does everything I could want in a mobile device, and does them as well as I can reasonably hope for. Even if it only did email, phone, and web (and not iPod), it would still be worth the $400 to me. There are some compromises made of course, but IMO they make plenty of sense given the application of the device. Yeah, they could have done some slide-out keyboard, but that's a ton of wasted space and creating easily-broken hardware, blah blah blah. I'm not going to bore you with what Steve said a year ago, but having owned and used an iPhone since just about day one (and played with plenty of other devices in the meantime), I can confidently say that he was right.

The Macbook Air, OTOH... well, it's certainly beautiful, but I wouldn't pay more than $1200 or so for it. That took the hardware compromises a bit too far for me.

11. Nova

Nova What's a Dremel?

i finally got to touch and play with an iphone this weekend... which just made me want one more. but being in the states im alittle worried about keeping some the functionality i liked, such as maps, weather, itunes store, txt, ect. i want one, just not sure itll be worth it for me yet.

12. Nexxo

Infidel! Erm --*cough* Sorry...

The more I think about it, the more I am of the opinion that the Macbook Air is receiving an unjustly bad press. As robust, compact and light laptops go, I can't think of anything that is better built. And the entry model is not that expensive compared to for instance Sony's thinware.

13. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Look at the shiny thing!

Look! Look! Keep your eye on the shiny thing!

No - Not the spec sheet - the shiny thing!

14. ChriX

ChriX ^

Windows Mobile is shocking. Despite it being the last OS I would ever want on my phone, I currently have a phone with it on. :)

...never getting another one though. Would love an iPhone purely for that interface but all the faffing around puts me off a bit.

15. pumpman

pumpman Minimodder

I can't understand peeps who knock the iphone who dont own one , not just a five minute play in the shop or whatever, but actually own one , I owned the N95 and couldnt get to like it , yet everyone said it was the phone to have, but if you like it great, now I have two iphones well the kids own them now and Im getting another for me

16. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 What's a Dremel?

I found this phone. It too is unlockable, can text, and can call people! Best part is, it's not stupidly expensive, has better battery life, and is less breakable! It even doesn't require bloatware to be installed on your computer (iTunes/Quicktime/etc)! What a fantastic device!

17. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

What justifies the iPhone - the iPod touch is basically the same, without the sim bit - but at like 1/2 the price
    I don't understand the attraction of the iPhone :(

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Sadly this news comes a little too late for Tim and his i-brick

19. pumpman

pumpman Minimodder

20. Nexxo

[​IMG]
    Oooh... shiny!

Razr V3. Best. Mobile. Ever.

Tags: Add Tags