bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Feb 2008, 15:19   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Dell moves most AMD systems to retail only

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/02..._retail_only/1

Dell has decided to make most of its AMD-powered machines only available in Dell's retail partner stores - no more online love for AMD?

Old 11th Feb 2008, 16:03   #2
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Dell's move into retail passed me by completely, although I did notice Dell systems for sale in Tescos the other day.

It's not surprising that Dell is limiting their AMD systems, especially since Intel are winning pretty much hands down in the processor wars at the moment. I don't think they'll give up on AMD completely though, just in case AMD get their act together and come out with a line of Intel-beaters.
Old 11th Feb 2008, 23:53   #3
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
people always seem to think of processor wars but they dont apply in the retail consumer prebuilt market, I say this because naturally a lot of people think well this cpu OC better then that one so its the better way to go but in the consumer market in prebuilt systems you cant OC them so the difference in performance is minimal at best. Im sure someone will argue this but regardless at my work we sell just as much amd systems as we do intel systems actually I think we sell more AMD systems as they tend to be cheaper then the intel systems with similar features.

Anyhow Dell is still horrid just the same so I stay clear of them whenever I can.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2008, 00:28   #4
Dreaming
Supermodder

Dreaming has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post
Dell's move into retail passed me by completely, although I did notice Dell systems for sale in Tescos the other day.

It's not surprising that Dell is limiting their AMD systems, especially since Intel are winning pretty much hands down in the processor wars at the moment. I don't think they'll give up on AMD completely though, just in case AMD get their act together and come out with a line of Intel-beaters.
For budget systems AMD are still better placed in the market than Intel. And for most people a budget system will cope perfectly fine - I got command and conquer 3 running on my girlfriends Athlon X2 3800

The only reason I ever consider dell is for their notebooks anyway, only thing they do pretty well because the DIY notebook market is pretty... non existent. Get a cheap dell and upgrade it with your own OS / software and you're laughing.

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 9800GT OC 1GB | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B (with top blowhole mod) | | LG 32LH4000 + Samsung 226BW 22"
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2008, 01:50   #5
cpemma
Ecky thump

cpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysis
Quote:
...while business customers can still order a full range of Latitude, Vostro and Optiplex systems at Dell's online store.
It doesn't seem hard for anybody to buy from the business selection; that's how I got a cheap monitor.

But there's only 1 AMD machine, 11 Intel. And the AMD is pitched at the wrong price level - too high to buy for the typists, too low for the boss's desk.

The budget systems are Intel - Celeron and E21xx. Overkill for MS Office, but from £150 for a full system who's complaining?
Old 12th Feb 2008, 12:33   #6
hawky84
SilentModder

hawky84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Dell is just following the trends and adjusting their business to get the most sales, blue is winning at the moment so Dell will concentrate on making blue machines for the masses. Although this will have a hit on the green team when they are already down.

Q6600, Asus P5K-E WiFi, Corsair XMS2 2GB, Gainward 8800GT Gold Sample, WD Caviar SE16 500GB (x2), OCZ StealthXStream 600Watt, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, Akasa Amber 120mm (x3), Akasa Fan Controller, Antec Sonata
hawky84 is offline   Reply With Quote