bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Feb 2008, 18:41   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
MSI ECOlution: powering fans without electricity

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/02..._electricity/1

MSI kicks off CeBIT 2008 early with a new energy efficient innovation. It's called the ECOlution.

Old 29th Feb 2008, 18:44   #2
MonkeyNutZ
Crysis Fiend

MonkeyNutZ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's freaking hilarious!
inCrysis.com - The largest Crysis fan site on the internets. (We're also #1 on Google for "Crysis")
Project: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=147127
MonkeyNutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2008, 18:48   #3
MrWillyWonka
Chocolate computers galore!

MrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
/Me wants a new engine for my computer
MrWillyWonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2008, 18:53   #4
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
erm...isn't April Fools' still a month away? Steampunk finally becomes a reality

If it does get shown at CeBIT, I'd love to see a video of it in action.
Old 29th Feb 2008, 18:56   #5
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
I will try to get a video. I do have one, but it's not a "real" one - just a simulation
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2008, 19:32   #6
Naberius
Multimodder

Naberius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Out of all the components in my pc, its not the fans i was woried about when it comes to power consumption.

It is a pretty good idea though.
Naberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2008, 19:37   #7
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It is rather awesome.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2008, 19:46   #8
WhiskeyAlpha
Hypermodder

WhiskeyAlpha has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
I will try to get a video. I do have one, but it's not a "real" one - just a simulation
I've seen that Rich, like an animated 3d rendering? It look spretty funky and MSi have gotta be aknowledged for taking this on.

However, 60C before it kicks in? Ouch.
Intel i7 950 @ 4Ghz | ASUS Sabertooth X58| 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz | Nvidia GTX 570 @ 875/1750/4200Mhz | 64GB Crucial SSD / 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD | Corsair HX 850W | Dell 2007WFP | Tannoy Reveal Active 5A | Beresford MK6 DAC
Customised Mountain Mods U2-UFO | ThermoChill PA120.1, PA120.2 & PA120.3 | EK Supreme | EK-FC570 GTX | EK Spinner Bay Res | Laing DDC x2
WhiskeyAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2008, 20:05   #9
StevenJam
Minimodder

StevenJam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
WOW -
StevenJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2008, 20:21   #10
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
LOL. Bravo, MSI. Friggin' funny. Gotta hand it to them...
LilyPC V.2 - completed! • BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser! • "Movie Sign!" - in progress • CheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser! • BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser! • Lumi่re Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser! • NOTalis w/ MNPCTech • "Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2008, 21:10   #11
banshee256
Modder

banshee256 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Seems like a great idea. Even though fans aren't the most power consuming components in a computer, they still require electricity, which comes via wires. And I hate wires. The less, the better. So give 'em to me now, please
Old 29th Feb 2008, 21:13   #12
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
half a brownie point for saving the planet, although trusting a mechanical system to cool your northbridge that has to be at 60 degrees? danger!

it even mentions the old single piston problem that you need to 'tap' it to actually get it moving should everything end up in line

Last edited by p3n; 29th Feb 2008 at 21:23.
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2008, 21:26   #13
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There's an evening of alcohol involved to any man (or woman) who can invent a turbocharger tiny enough to modify that with...
Old 29th Feb 2008, 22:22   #14
Smilodon
The Antagonist

Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
It's a really cool concept, but I have problems seeing the advantage here.

It's inefficient (in terms of cooling), it have more parts that can fail and probably cost way more to produce.

It gets a very high score on coolness, though
Old 29th Feb 2008, 22:35   #15
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
the strange, or stupid, thing is that i thought of this some time ago.... like 2 years ago....
Old 29th Feb 2008, 22:44   #16
Marquee
Mac Pro Modder

Marquee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great idea. Talk about green machine. LOL
Congrates to MSI for taking such a step. Its a great idea.
Old 1st Mar 2008, 00:40   #17
taliban_raider
Just some guy; you know

taliban_raider has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If these ever see the light of day I would probably buy one to play with, I have always wanted to buy a stirling engine to play with, but I cannot see myself actualy trusting it to cool my pc. Hopefully it will be cheaper than all the other stirling engines floating around the web for sale.
Old 1st Mar 2008, 00:50   #18
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the basic idea behind it (converting heat into another form of energy) is nothing new, but seeing it realized in such a small self contained form is still amazing, what worries me though is the price, i mean mainboards are allready getting more and more expensive in relation to the other parts of the pc.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2008, 01:06   #19
PrometheusCon
Stop! Hammertime.

PrometheusCon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very cool. People seem to forget that heat, light, sound, etc is energy and can be harnessed. I know I did.
PrometheusCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2008, 01:22   #20
Sparrowhawk
Wetsander

Sparrowhawk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n View Post
it even mentions the old single piston problem that you need to 'tap' it to actually get it moving should everything end up in line
I haven't had time to read it yet, but that's an easy fix. Have a second engine inline with the first, both geared together, with the first one a quarter turn apart from the second one. Steampunk, indeed.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote