1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Odinn Project - Frontal intake - update 01/apr/08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Yemerich, 2 Mar 2008.

1. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Hello, my name is Erich and i am proudly starting my first actual worklog in Bit-tech. The site that inspired me in entering the casemod world back in 2003.

This year i won two casemodding contests here In Brazil. They both needed to have a consistant document on how the casemodding would be constructed. The first one was "Hephaestus Project" (wich has a worlog here on bit tech) and the second one is...

[​IMG]

The contest left me wich very tight schedule. Just 6 days to build a casemod from scratch. What's worse: the case should be build LIVE on the brazilian version of the CAMPUS PARTY (wich was from feb 11 to feb 16).

Last Update:
    [​IMG]
    More info: page 2 post #34

Updates:
    02-march-08 - Building in the "Campus Party Brazil 2008" - Project start (improvement)

07-march-08 - Front panel finished - page 2

23-march-08 - Front lock finished - page 2 post #33

01-april-08 - Frontal intake - page 2 post #34

So here are some of the aspects of the project itself:

[​IMG]
    This is the project with sideviews for the sponsors

[​IMG]
    Although the project was first designed to be red, the aproved color was blue. The picture above shows the case in the "openned" position, so the user could reach the insides of it. The cover that is in back is the main cover and the front piece is a "lock" to that cover.

[​IMG]
    Because the sponsors wanted something to call in attention, the case was made HUGE. So huge that in the end of the event it couldn't fit on my compact car. It didn't pass through its doors...

because i had so little time do build it on the evend i had all the main acrilyc pieces laser cut. But another problem was that the laser cutting is VERY slow (not so slow as cutting it by hand BTW), so i had it phases. Anyway, this was my stand:

[​IMG]
    Well... part of it anyways... If you take a closer look, you'll see tha case in the mockup phase behind me for adjust purposes. Even lasercut pieces need some adjusts, and not ALL the pieces were lasercutted

And here is how it ended on the CPbr 08:
    [​IMG]
    I really need to say that the purpose of the stand was the SHOW. Not actually the case done itself. So, for the sake of the time i had some minor details sacrificed as you can see. the front side need to be redone, which is btw the first update on this project

[​IMG]
    The guy's name besides me is Horacio (i am in the light green shirt). This one helped me a lot in the building of the case. In fact he had most of the pieces done at feb 14 at 3:00 am. He worked all night to help me. Thanks Horacio a lot! This photo is also good for you to have an idea how big the case is. And how hot it was down there... Now i know why hell should be hot...

Please Leave your comments, critics and such. :)

Last edited: 1 Apr 2008
  2. Yemerich

Meanwhile in the CPbr 08...

Unfortunately almost every photo taken while building the case was lost in the old compie...

I had all the project pieces made in SketchUp being 45 or 90 degrees to simplify the construction of the case. Some exceptions were made for 60 degrees, but those pieces wouldn't be part os the structure itself.

for the first part of building this project, i had all the structure pieces together with masking tape to correct some differences that occur when cutting acrylic. This part is VERY important even when you have everything lasercutted because even so you have some differences.

[​IMG]

The notebook in the stand/workshop was essential to check some pieces in the making of the case because i needed to check some measures while building it.

As all the differences between the pieces were corrected, its time to glue the structure together.
    img]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2774/net006ml9.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    Front...

[​IMG]
    Back...

[​IMG]
    Walter and Horacio (with the seringe - is this spelled right?) bonding the back of the case.

[​IMG]
    This is the "baybus" support. In this part I've done a mistake. This piece should be in place BEFORE the front was mounted. Result: I had to cut it so it could be fitted in place.

The case had to be turned upside-down so i could mount the DVD/PSU "apparatus". More details on the DVD/PSU aparatus later on another post... stay tunned. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The PSU you see in here was all modded so it could be merged with the overall design. But it burned out... Dunno what i did wrong. Anyway, I have bought another one, but it's not modded right now. The pictures that showed me building the previous one are forever gone unfontunatelly.:duh:

Here we can see the "half done cover"
    [​IMG]

After all this done, i needed to make a front and lock "mockup":
    [​IMG]

This front was then drilled and cutted to end like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I loooove this picture!

Back in the CPbr, the supporting piece made to hold the baybus had broked and i had no time to fix it as the schedule was running really thin. So, the easy solution was to use a hot glue gun to hold the buttons for showing purposes only.

This concludes what was made in the CPbr. Coming next are the improvements i am doing to it. I hope you enjoy and i am to take more pictures as i have much more time.

3. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

very beautiful and very large case :thumb:....... anxious to see what
    you do to it next .

Alan

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

This is impressive:thumb:
    John

5. Yemerich

Let the improvements begin!

Back at home it's time to improve what I think can be much better.

The first step is to rebuild the front. The mobo wich was given to me had no paralel port, soh the LCD i had didn't worked. That's to me a HUGE downside on the project. I need to fix it. Other obvious thing is that the buttons were not supposed to be like that. So let's get started.

This is the front. Freshly took out of the case:
    [​IMG]

Here it is in the "operations table":
    [​IMG]

Taped:
    [​IMG]
    As u can see in this picture, the holes were made in such a hurry that resulted in this ugly view. This was made to help the mistake done in the CPbr. Also notive my trusty "Olfa Knife" (a slightly more precise version of the X-Acto knife):thumb:

For the buttons i want something better than the ones u can see in the previous post. To acomplish this, i bought an acrylic rod and cutted it more or less like the buttons i want:
    [​IMG]
    In this picture we can see a "circle ruler" (at least this is what it is called here in Brazil). With that in hand i marked the holes in the front piece with 16mm.

With all the holes made, its time to mark positions:
    [​IMG]
    What u see in the middle in shape of a curved "plus" sign is the actual "stand by" main button.

[​IMG]
    All marked for the support for the main button.

For the first time in my life i wish i could get a low quality procduct. This stainless steel pieces also lasercut were way too hard...
    [​IMG]
    My drill bit ended like a nail.... It ruined the cutting edges!

With all the holes drilled in the main piece, I marked the main button and used a three-point wood drill bit to make the recess wich will house the allen screws:
    [​IMG]
    I used a wood drill because it allow me to create a recess and the biggest point create a center "guide" that will help drilling with the next drill bit.

This recess was made to accomodate the springs that will put the button in place after u push it:
    [​IMG]

These are examples of the springs that will do the trick (not the actual ones):
    [​IMG]
    These springs were take from pens. Never throw out pens that doesn't write w/o taking their springs first :D

It's time to test the button and the screws heigh with the distance that i want:
    [​IMG]
    Desired distance...
    [​IMG]
    Excess...
    [​IMG]
    Almost 7mm of screw needs to disappear.

Screws mounted and cutted with its springs. Tight enough to hold the button in place, but not enough to brake it. Good!
    [​IMG]

To hide the internals of the baybus, i'll use a "project box":
    [​IMG]
    Another "mini mock-up" for bond the acrylic pieces wich are going to hold the box in place:

[​IMG]
    supports in place...

[​IMG]
    And a "mini support" to hold the pieces together. Why? because I can!:cooldude:

Although i will be using acrylic rods for the temporary contact buttons, until now i don't have a better idea (or knowledge) for better buttons for the on/off buttons (illumination buttons):
    [​IMG]

I hope you guys and eventual girls like it.
    Please give me your thoughts on the project.

Thanks ;)

6. widmod

widmod Minimodder

yeah i like it it looks really cool :jawdrop:

7. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Definitely don't speak for all womankind, but this girl likes it! ;)

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice work!
    You can't find push button on/off switches for the lights?

9. Yemerich

Glad you liked it.. at least glad you are impressed ;)

I told them that red would look hotter.. eheheh

Thanks hun! I knew there should be some girl modder out there!

Hiya Cheapskate! Glad you're here :)
    Well i can find on/off buttons, but they are all ugly including the ones i am using in that last photo. I would love to use something like the MNPCTech "vandal resistant" buttons. But THAT kind i can't find here where i live... :sigh:

10. craig_h

craig_h What's a Dremel?

What camera are you using?

11. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

This is friggin awesome man, great thread

12. Yemerich

it's a Kodak v550... A very bad one BTW. If u don't use the flash, the image blurs:grr:

Thanks man :)
    I am really enjoying doing this

13. Frenkie

Frenkie Lets mod the world!

Like your case ! In my experience, when you need to drill acrylic, the point of the drill needs to be blunted. Yes I know it sound weird, but this is the way to drill through acrylic without splintering. Also it would help a lot if your drill angle is 120 degrees like for using to drill copper and messing. Stainless steel needs good sharp SSH drills and a bit of cutting fluid or cutting grease helps a lot ! ( available in good hardware stores )

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I thought you were going to hide normal ones in the project box behind plexi rod. I don't like spending $ on switches either. I just hide cheap ones.:D

15. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

very nice! i really like the look of your project!!
    good attention to details!!!

16. Yemerich

Thanks Frenkie :)
    I already knew about the blunted HSS drill bits in acrylic. But cutting fluid and/or grease are news to me. What is a SSH drill?
    Another thing i could not understand, is what difference a 120 degree drilling could make? Can u explain how it works?

Thats right :) That's what i am doing, but just for the "momentary" switches (stand by, resed and DVD eject). I couldn't find any decent on/off switches to do the same trick for the ones in illumination...

Thanks :) I like working in the details. They don't call too much attention to them alone. But the group of details makes all the difference :)

17. Frenkie

Frenkie Lets mod the world!

Apologies, I typed too fast and clicked OK too fast. I didnt mean SSH, i meant HSS. :duh:

What I mean with the 120 degrees angle can you read here. http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/068901.html

When drilling, let the drill do the work and don't apply too much pressure.

18. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Wow. Thats the coolest case i have ever seen.

19. Yemerich

Hmmm... Thanks for the tip Frenkie! Great article BTW!

Thanks man! Really!
    I am to do some improvements that i really hope u guys like. Stay tunned ;)

20. Yemerich

little update on buttons

These are the buttons.

The big one is the stand by...
    [​IMG]

The other two buttons...
    [​IMG]

cheers