bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Mar 2008, 12:36   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel announces Atom processor family

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/03...essor_family/1

Intel has officially named its Silverthorne processor and Menlow platform - they're known as the Atom processor and the Centrino Atom platform.

Old 3rd Mar 2008, 13:10   #2
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Damnit, they didn't take my advice on the name (< avatar)
anyway, this does sound interesting and would kick as$ if you could fit these into an ultra-portable the size of a PSP. now if they can hook one of these up with nVidia's ultra-portable gpu and not make you pay out the as$ for them, then I'm getting at least one (even if I only have $20 spare a week)
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 13:48   #3
hawky84
SilentModder

hawky84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
bring on the next gen eee pc!!!

Q6600, Asus P5K-E WiFi, Corsair XMS2 2GB, Gainward 8800GT Gold Sample, WD Caviar SE16 500GB (x2), OCZ StealthXStream 600Watt, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, Akasa Amber 120mm (x3), Akasa Fan Controller, Antec Sonata
hawky84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 14:08   #4
The Infamous Mr D
We like beans & cheesecake

The Infamous Mr D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
/confused

Ah, nope I get it now. I was thinking they'd branded the Nehalems "Atom". Nope, this is something totally different!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, Asus P5E, Patriot Viper 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2, XFX Radeon HD5870 1GB
2x Maxtor DiamondMax 21 80GB in RAID 0, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU, all in a Coolermaster Cosmos PURE
The Infamous Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 14:51   #5
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
These are gonna be great for HTPCs and home servers!

Bring it on!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 15:13   #6
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawky84 View Post
bring on the next gen eee pc!!!
+1
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 15:55   #7
johnmustrule
Supermodder

johnmustrule has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"but also manages to maintain compatibility with the Core microarchitecture's instruction set to ensure consumers get a familiar experience to what they would get on their home computer."

-since when has a proccesor change effected my exsperiance other than speed, I don't think that at a consumer level people will be effected by the instructon set!
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 16:01   #8
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmustrule View Post
"but also manages to maintain compatibility with the Core microarchitecture's instruction set to ensure consumers get a familiar experience to what they would get on their home computer."

-since when has a proccesor change effected my exsperiance other than speed, I don't think that at a consumer level people will be effected by the instructon set!
That's just their way of saying x86 compatible.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 17:06   #9
K20
Minimodder

K20 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article

... measures less than 25mm˛, meaning that you can fit eleven Atom processor dies in an area the size of an American penny.
Interesting; but I thought Americans used cents. More importantly how many Silverthorne dies can you fit in a British penny?
K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 17:53   #10
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchie View Post
These are gonna be great for HTPCs and home servers!

Bring it on!!!
Hopefully these will be used in mini-itx boards - but the Atom (silverthorne) will be equivalent to VIA's nano-BGA C7. Both do NOT feature out of order execution, so are significantly slower than you'd expect. Obviously the Intel chip runs at almost twice the speed and it has SMT, but it'll not equate to an ULV Core 2 CPU.

Just like inexpensive VIA machines that are being sold at Walmart, Intel will do the same thing. I'm ready to get info from all sorts of people on EeePC clones in the next few days featuring these processors.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 18:57   #11
Smilodon
The Antagonist

Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Am I the only one that find the name pretty silly?

It really doesn't stand out in any way, and sounds a bit... childish.

What's next? "Biohazard"?
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 21:32   #12
K20
Minimodder

K20 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
Am I the only one that find the name pretty silly?

It really doesn't stand out in any way, and sounds a bit... childish.
Arguably this is Intel's most logical naming choice since Core Solo and Core Duo. Atom = small, sounds reasonably accurate although unimaginative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
What's next? "Biohazard"?
No Intel's amazing 45nm processors are good for the environment as they're halogen and lead free and contain less carbon (OK the carbon part isn't true but they'll put consume less electricity and as such less carbon compared to 65nm so why Intel didn't mention this in one of their marketing slides is beyond me). After all the number one thing I look for in a processor is an assurance that an alchemist can't experiment with it, oh wait they mentioned that (repeatedly) I can't turn my processor into gold.

Last edited by K20; 3rd Mar 2008 at 21:47.
K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 22:44   #13
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Sounds pretty cool

except the name
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2008, 01:00   #14
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
UP AND ATOM!
Old 4th Mar 2008, 01:38   #15
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
groan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2008, 03:18   #16
Splynncryth
0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Splynncryth has yet to learn the way of the DremelSplynncryth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The chip really is aimed at a not-quite-a-full-blown-pc market that may exsist somewhere between a laptop and PDA. There are some pretty interesting concepts floating around out there, one of my favorites being the4 'bookmark' concept (though I can't find the !@#$ link, bookmark is far too common a word). There is still a question of usability though, what can I do to make use of the PC features?
Splynncryth is offline   Reply With Quote