bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Mar 2008, 13:37   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Futuremark tries to trademark 'PWNAGE'

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/03...emark_pwnage/1

Futuremark Corporation has recently filed papers with the US trademark office for the word 'PWNAGE'. All signs point to its move into games development.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 14:00   #2
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
/me waits for teh pwneror to sue.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 14:01   #3
The Infamous Mr D
We like beans & cheesecake

The Infamous Mr D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh good heavens.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, Asus P5E, Patriot Viper 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2, XFX Radeon HD5870 1GB
2x Maxtor DiamondMax 21 80GB in RAID 0, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU, all in a Coolermaster Cosmos PURE
The Infamous Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 14:13   #4
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
epic fail in the making
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 14:18   #5
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does Futuremark even use it in any of their products (and does their line of product expand beyond benchmarking software)?

Dumber than Fark trying to trademark NSFW.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 14:22   #6
TreeDude
Supermodder

TreeDude has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well that came out of nowhere. Considering their benchmarking tools don't mean jack anymore, maybe they go bored?
TreeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 14:31   #7
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
No chance of getting it through. Trademarks require that there is no significant prior art relating to the application. Since there is obviously masses of prior art (just look through any game forum, or even lolcats), this is doomed to failure before it even starts.

Strangely, futuremark should already know this, so I think this is probably just a publicity stunt to draw attention to the fact that they're writing a game. </cynic>
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 14:55   #8
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
lol I think Futuremark is trying to drum up some free PR for its up coming game to remind everyone that they are still doing stuff.
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 15:59   #9
johnmustrule
Supermodder

johnmustrule has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What's gonna happen, everyone's gonna boycott futuremark, taht's what! this reminds me of when apple wanted to tradmark the "I-anyhing stuff" I doub't such a commonly used word will be tradmarked or stay that way, considering WOOT just officialy made it into the english language, no kidding.
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 16:02   #10
Dreaming
Supermodder

Dreaming has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post
No chance of getting it through. Trademarks require that there is no significant prior art relating to the application. Since there is obviously masses of prior art (just look through any game forum, or even lolcats), this is doomed to failure before it even starts.

Strangely, futuremark should already know this, so I think this is probably just a publicity stunt to draw attention to the fact that they're writing a game. </cynic>
Completely agree on both points.

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 9800GT OC 1GB | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B (with top blowhole mod) | | LG 32LH4000 + Samsung 226BW 22"
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 16:11   #11
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post

Thats what I thought then reading Tim's article. No chance of a common word getting a trademark.
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 17:11   #12
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
I hope the get pwned.

noobs.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 18:29   #13
Mr T
4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Mr T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Personally i hate the word and wish it would go away

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz - 4Gb Corsair 6400C4 - Abit IP35 - 256mb nVidia 7900GS
Corsair HX 520w PSU - Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RW - 74Gb Western Digital Raptor - 320Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 18:40   #14
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Personally i hate the word and wish it would go away
what he said ^^^

in any event, this smacks of a P.R. stunt to me
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 20:21   #15
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
*runs the latest 3d mark on pc*
HAHAHA j00 PC HAS BEEN PWND BY OUR 1337 PROGRAMZ0RZ!!!!111one11eleven1
*dies*
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 20:24   #16
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanrais View Post
epic fail in the making
Agreed. This can only go badly for them.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 21:24   #17
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
1337 can never be trademarked as it's a number. Thats why intell switched from 486 to pentium because they couldn't trademark a number so others produced 468's aswell. Some of them far faster than intells. I have a IBM "586" which could run at 140MHz and basicly raped all but the fastest pentium. Runing with high bus speeds made my system a tad unstable though.
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 22:30   #18
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipman725
1337 can never be trademarked as it's a number. Thats why intell switched from 486 to pentium because they couldn't trademark a number so others produced 468's aswell. Some of them far faster than intells. I have a IBM "586" which could run at 140MHz and basicly raped all but the fastest pentium. Runing with high bus speeds made my system a tad unstable though.
I thought porsche successfully trademarked 911, or more importantly won a court case against another car company for the 911 moniker. Of course that was like 70 years ago?

at any rate this is pretty pointless, especially seeing how pure pwnage has been around for awhile, the real debate is whether it's pronounced Pone, or own
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 23:08   #19
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
When I first start at bit-tech I heard it pronouned poon-age. That surprised me a lot. Up north a pooner is someone who sniffs bicycle seats for sexual pleasure. It took a bit of getting used to hearing that.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 23:28   #20
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
When I first start at bit-tech I heard it pronouned poon-age. That surprised me a lot. Up north a pooner is someone who sniffs bicycle seats for sexual pleasure. It took a bit of getting used to hearing that.
That took me as well.

Been down this end of the country for a year, love the people, hate the soft dialect.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote