bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Mar 2008, 12:25   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Unreal Engine 4.0 to exclusively target consoles

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/03...get_consoles/1

In what will be a blow to PC gamers, Tim Sweeney has revealed that Unreal Engine 4.0 will exclusively target the next generation of consoles.

Old 13th Mar 2008, 12:29   #2
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
And with that the reason for epic slating PC gaming becomes clear
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2008, 12:35   #3
Cheap Mod Wannabe
Ultramodder

Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Screw this... I woke up 3 minutes ago... and this is the news I get?!
Cheap Mod Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2008, 12:38   #4
genesisofthesith
complete spanner

genesisofthesith has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Considering that we have no idea what sort of specs the next gen consoles are going to have, I can't see the benefit of this. This is especially true when you consider that future consoles are more likely than ever to be assembled from readily avaliable pc components than blank slate designs.

And with intel, ibm and amd's move to modular cpu's you could have a custom cpu assembled from standard design pieces, with a few custom DSP blocks, and paired with a gpu again assembled from standard design pieces to a custom design. Cheaper design costs, works with current standards, and allows a degree of flexibility to differentiate your console.

Last edited by genesisofthesith; 13th Mar 2008 at 12:55.
genesisofthesith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2008, 12:44   #5
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
I think Crytek should get to work licensing CryEngine2 for PC's. We already know it will scale well for at least the next year or two.

Chop-Chop Lads!
badders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2008, 12:44   #6
crozon
What's a Dremel?

crozon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
epic epic epic by god you really are pissing off everyone. Don't you develop software on a ****ing PC. So why be an arse with this statement.

Epic pissing me off no end, **** it, thank god for blizzard, valve, crytek, bioware etc
crozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2008, 12:48   #7
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think bindi from another thread sums this up nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
No no no, PC gaming is not going anywhere - it's just the console life cycle is in its prime that's all. When it gets to the end of it in 2 years and PC gaming looks clearly better (remember DX9.0c versus PS2) then people will reinvest in PC gaming.
When the current consoles are old hat who's going to be giving you money epic?
Old 13th Mar 2008, 12:53   #8
adamc
Modder

adamc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't see this as especially terrible news. There are so many other excellent engines around nowadays; CryEngine2, Source, Jupiter, X-Ray... and then there is a bunch of open-source stuff available to developers - look at Penumbra: Black Plague for a case-in-point.

It's true that licensees of the Unreal Engines get unmatched support and (arguably) the best toolkit, but I think that Epic are making a blunder in focusing on an engine that is slightly better visually than UE3 and supports comprehensive customisation/artistic freedom - surely the point of licensing engines is that the developers don't have the time/money/manpower to create a proprietary engine, and UE4 sounds like more work for the developer than before... in terms of visual assets anyway.
adamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2008, 13:06   #9
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think Tim S. has forgotten that PC gamers made the unreal engine BIG and now we are flushed through the toilet. If I was a PC gamer I would have boycot every game that uses any type of Epic engine... Epic should be kicked out of the PC gamer platform as i am writing this. Tthey are just being a SPY for the consoles.

I'am pissed off. And Tim "knows it all" S. can kiss my ass!
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2008, 13:10   #10
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Why is Epic a part of the PC Gaming Alliance again?
Excellent question.

My conspiracy theorist side reckons it's so they can kill PC gaming from the inside.
Paradigm Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2008, 13:13   #11
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
its ok UT3 is pants anyway
Old 13th Mar 2008, 13:18   #12
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
I think Tim S. has forgotten that PC gamers made the unreal engine BIG and now we are flushed through the toilet. If I was a PC gamer I would have boycot every game that uses any type of Epic engine... Epic should be kicked out of the PC gamer platform as i am writing this. Tthey are just being a SPY for the consoles.
You make a good point - I have expanded upon my "kick in the nuts" comments to reflect that. I thought a kick in the nuts would be enough, but apparently not. Thanks for kicking me in the nuts.

Oh, and for the record, I don't like kissing ass.
Old 13th Mar 2008, 13:19   #13
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb View Post
its ok UT3 is pants anyway
The problem is that it's not just Unreal Tournament. There are many many licensees that use Epic's technology to make PC games as well. This is bigger than Unreal Tournament and I don't think it's good news for us PC gamers.
Old 13th Mar 2008, 13:36   #14
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Is the point of dropping PC because ut3 flopped? Is this in fact a hissy fit from a primadona dev?
Old 13th Mar 2008, 13:45   #15
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
Is this in fact a hissy fit from a primadona dev?
We have a winner.

Devs need to realise that pushing the graphical boundary further and further forward just isn't the way to make games that are profitable. They need to start making PC games that lots of people can play. Take for example, Sins of a Solar Empire. The graphics are adequate, very rarely will you be looking close up on a ship, but when you do, on the high settings they look nice, not amazing. But the gameplay is fantastic, and because it doesn't need such an amazing computer to play it, lots of people can play it. Anyone who doesn't play the game purely because the graphics aren't better than anything else before it won't really be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2008, 13:59   #16
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
F*** you Epic![/rant]

sorry, had to take that of my chest....
Old 13th Mar 2008, 14:01   #17
lewchenko
Supermodder

lewchenko has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cant exactly blame them for going where the money will be. They are a business after all.

Each console generation gets bigger and bigger, and each year the gaming market for non RTS/MMO games on the PC seems to be getting smaller.

So imagine the hype about the coming PS4 / Xbox 720 / Nintendo Muhuha. That market will be big, and worth $$$$$/ to a company who has an early next gen product capable of uber cross platform development.

It will probably take 4 to 5 years to make (hey the UT3 engine did) so starting now is a realistic business proposition.

You people have got to realise that it isnt just because you thin UT3 sucked, and Epic sucks, so they are evil blah blah blah. Think beyond your initial disgust that Epic may be prioritising consoles first. Why shouldnt they ?

Just because Epic started out on PC's doesnt mean anything!!!! Once again.. think like a business. Epic makes a hell of a lot of money from licence technology, and arguably more so than any other developer at the moment.

Let the market decide... and in a few years we will see the following : The PC will still be king of the high end, with amazing RTS/MMO/RPG games, plus a lesser number of amazing shooters. The current consoles will be a massive market and a clear money maker, plus hype over the next gen will have geared up, and people will be starting to develop for those machines too.

It doesnt have to be another PC is dying thread. There is plenty of room to co-exist. The game developers should just start developing games for PC's that people actually want to play on PCs. Thats where the money is (Sims, MMO, Company of Heroes, Starcraft).. these games are licences to print money AND SHOCK HORROR on the PC as well.
lewchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2008, 14:02   #18
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
Veles: that's all well and good, but you're forgetting that Epic's real money is made from licensing. Much like iD, their games are poster children: adverts for their new toys.

moving to console makes sense as a business proposition: consoles represent the majority demographic so you're not losing too much money, and your support costs go right down - three static platforms to support? easy! RnD suddenly gets a lot simpler for them too as they have plenty of time for plan and get to grips with new platforms that stick around for a long while.

basically what i'm saying is maybe Epic's got some financial issues, and due to having to drop PC platform as their focus (as it IS expensive), are spinning it into something positive.
Old 13th Mar 2008, 14:16   #19
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

... but they're still a part of the PC gaming alliance?
Old 13th Mar 2008, 14:20   #20
Eloquence
The cake is a lie!

Eloquence has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders View Post
I think Crytek should get to work licensing CryEngine2 for PC's. We already know it will scale well for at least the next year or two.

Chop-Chop Lads!
They already do I think.
Eloquence is offline   Reply With Quote