bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 21st Mar 2008, 22:04   #1
Langer
Jesse Lang

Langer has yet to learn the way of the DremelLanger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My 16-mod eeePC documentation

The following is a documentation of the mods I've completed to my eeePC, at the bottom is a list of the installed software

Tune in very soon for more details and images as I don't want to rip this thing apart again until the rest of my 'gizmos' have arrived, so you'll all just have to be patient for the internal shots. Think of this as a taste of things to come.

Rough layout of wires and components

Photobucket Album

I've added the following internally to my eeePC
2GB RAM (OCZ)
USB 32GB Flash Drive (Corsair) *tale of woe and sorrow below*
16GB SDHC (SanDisk)
USB 4-port Hub 1 (Logix)
USB 4-port Hub 2 (Logix)
USB 7" Touch Screen 1 (Kiddshop)
USB ATSC wireless digital TV-Tuner (Artec)
USB Bluetooth Adaptor (Asus)
USB GPS Receiver (Route66)
mini-PCIe Wifi-N card (Intel)
Wifi-N MiMo antenna (x3)
USB Wireless Security AutoLock
USB 10-LED Light Bar 1 for keyboard illumination
USB 10-LED Light Bar 2 for internal "PIMP" lighting (w/ DIP on/off)
All onbard LED's and LED light bars swapped to 5000MCD Amber LED's

My 32GB OCZ rally2 USB thumb drive died randomly one day last week, booted the eeePC as normal and recieved "USB device not recognized" errors after windows loaded...investigation proved it to be DEAD; it has been replaced with Corsair branded drive and I await delivery

Software Modifications:
WindowsXP Professional Corperate Edition (nLite to ~450mb)
BIOS v0703
WindowsXP boot screen (custom)
WindowsXP theme file (areao4.2)
WindowsXP icon files (areao4.2 icons)
eeeCTL v2.2 (1170mhz)
asTray+ v1.3b2 (900x540)
KeyTweak (relocated shift/up/down/left keys)
Photoshop CS3 ('reduced' to ~47mb)

Internal Port Allocation:
4GB Onboard SSD
---1- WindowsXP Pro Corp (nLite to ~450mb)

8x Onboard USB Ports
---1- USB Port 1
------ External USB Port 1
---2- USB Port 2
------ External USB Port 2
---3- USB Port 3
------ External USB Port 3
---4- Mini-PCIe Port 1
------ 4 Port USB Hub
---------1- 32GB Flash Drive
---------2- Bluetooth Adapter
---------3- 7" Touch-screen controller
---------4- ATSC wireless digital TV-tuner
---5- Mini-PCIe Port 2
------ 4 Port USB Hub
---------1- GPS Adapter
---------2- Wireless Keyboard RF Reciever
---------3- Wireless Security RF AutoLock
---------4- *unused* (for now)
---6- Webcam
---7- SDHC Card Reader
------- 16GB SDHC Class 6 Card
---8- ?unknown?

2x Onboard Mini-PCIe Ports
---1- Mini-PCIe Port 1
------- Intel Wifi-N card
---2- Mini-PCIe Port 2
------- Not-installed from manufacturer

1x Onboard RAM Port
---1- OCZ performance series 2GB

Costs of the eeePC, Mods, and External Accessories I purchased to create the "Ultimate Geek ToolKit" contained within a Kata backpack.
Internal Additions:
74.79 - 2GB RAM
199.07 - USB 32GB Flash Drive (Corsair)
100.79 - 16GB SDHC
19.39 - USB 4-port Hub 1
19.39 - USB 4-port Hub 2
84.99 - USB 7" Touch Screen 1 (Kiddshop)
71.99 - USB ATSC wireless digital TV-Tuner
27.45 - USB Bluetooth Adaptor
89.95 - USB GPS Receiver
55.95 - mini-PCIe Wifi-N card
16.95 - Wifi-N MiMo antenna (x3)
29.98 - USB Wireless Security AutoLock
14.81 - USB 10-LED Light Bar 1 (w/ external on/off)
14.81 - USB 10-LED Light Bar 2 (w/ DIP on/off)
------------------------------------------------------------

Accessories:
97.98 - KATA Sensitivity V Backpack
29.98 - ideaStyle Sleeve
27.00 - Silicone Skin Sleeve -
131.04 - Audio Technica ATH-EC7 Headphones
59.98 - External DVD-RW w/ Lightscribe
18.98 - USB 4-port/eSata 2-port Hub
12.13 - Keybord Protector
30.00 - Wireless Flexible Keyboard
18.00 - iMono 80-in-1 High Speed Card Reader

Unused (u)/Replaced (r)/Bricked (b) Components:
64.00 -(r)- USB 7" Touch Screen 2 (Fido)
49.99 -(r)- USB WiFi-N Adapter
19.39 -(u)-USB 4-port Hub 3
19.39 -(u)- USB 4-port Hub 4
13.00 -(u)- USB 4-port Hub 5
13.98 -(u)- USB SIM card reader/writer
25.00 -(u)- USB MiniNova Bluetooth Adapter
205.19 -(b)- USB 32GB Flash Drive OCZ

Additional Costs:
12.11 - 1" Kapton Adhesive (x100')
5.69 - 3M Double Sided Tape
8.94 - 8 Position SMD DIP Switch (x10)
9.99 - 5000mcd Amber SMD LED (x50)
6.83 - Black ASUS Ribbon Cable
9.11 - Solder
5.69 - 3M Dual Lock Hook Fastener

TOTALS
455.98 - eeePC (4G Black)
859.38 - mods
1315.36 - eeePC + mods
2169.78 - eeePC + mods + accessories

Installed Software:
Dreamweaver CS3
Flash CS3
Open Office
Foxit reader
vsFilter
CCCP Codecs
ffdshow
CoreAVC
Haali ms
VLC
Quicktime
Songbird
SuperPi
StartupMonitor
WinRAR
OCCT
CpuZ
Alcohol 120%
Daemon Tools Pro Advanced
Nero 7 Premium
CCCleaner
IconPackager
Firefox
TouchKit
Universal UXTheme
AsusUpdate
BootSkin
ImageResizer Powertoy
Google Earth
ROUTE 66 Map Software
NokiaPC Suite (for my Nokia e90)

Installed Games:
Geometry Wars
Turok N64

More to come soon.

-jesse

Last edited by Langer; 18th Jul 2008 at 20:29.
Langer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 00:54   #2
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Even though the image pattern on the pictures is annoying, that is one great looking EEE.
The amount of time, consideration, and $$$ has piled up, and it looks worth it.
Great job on the mods!
I want to see internals though.

500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 00:58   #3
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Awesome collection of not so small mods - some serious work to do this. Lots of EEE fans and upcoming EEE users around. Have to watch this one.
John
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 12:35   #4
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is one expensive eee!
Nice work, it looks a treat
I am quite surprised you have managed to get CS3 on there and that is isn't really slow! I suppose all that ram must help.
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 13:57   #5
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i want, or at least a top quality step by step guide to build that!

was the touch screen easy to install?

i would love to build a eeepc with a touch screen, i would like to know how PS CS3 performs on that. can you use a stylus on that screen?

Also was that 32GB pen drive installed internally?

i7 930, GA-X58-USB3, 12GB Kingston, GTX980, 240GB Cruical SSD, 1Tb Seagate, WC
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 17:14   #6
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
Photoshop on a 7" display? Oh well, ePeen++ i guess

awesome job on the thing though, i am really amazed.

How's the battery life? Oh, and you might want to get a hold of one of these.
Not the waterblock, i mean the USB-to-DVI converter. It would be nice to hook the EEE up to a normal screen if it has the power to show a little more resolution.
Old 24th Mar 2008, 03:48   #7
Scirocco
Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Scirocco - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
There's an analog VGA connection on the right side of the eeePC, Xtrafresh, so very doable.

Some really nice mods you've done there, Langer. Much more than I'm willing to take on for the one I bought for my daughter. Going to upgrade the ram and work out some external storage for her this week. I'd go crazy working on that small of a keyboard, but it's only until they have a home connection for a regular PC. There's a coffee shop with a wifi hotspot a couiple shops from where my daughter works. Very handy for her email, etc. in the interim. Took the eeePC over to family dinner today. All my brothers, nephews and brothers-in-law were having a good time looking it over.

How are you liking it so far, Langer,now that you've added everything and the kitchen sink? Sorry to hear about the 32gb flash drive that bit the dust.
Scirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2008, 09:09   #8
Langer
Jesse Lang

Langer has yet to learn the way of the DremelLanger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I absolutely love this thing, I use it for practicly everything. As for PS cs3, as long as in work in web resolutions in the neighborhood of 1280x1024(eee's external monitor output res)@150dpi it works fine, and the stylus is great; mild lag on complex stuff (nothing unexpected)but when overcloced from 630mhz to 1170mhz it runs fine... I also got lucky with a stable eee with good overclocking results.

I happen to have an ASUS R1F Tablet PC from which I stole the stylus and mouse.

As for battery life I get about 1.5-1.75hrs with everything on and running songbird/google earth @ 1035mhz w/ 60% fan (never higher, too loud), but i rarely need to run all the devices at once. On average I'd estimate about 2.5hrs. You should also note that this is without the 32gb flash drive that is held at customs.

The question was raised: Yes, the 32GB was installed internally, and it died no absolutely no apparent reason. It was functioning fine for 2-weeks+ when it suddenly died in the middle of "Hotel California" playback on songbird. I read around and did as-much RMA as i knew possible, even sending it off to my uncle god off geeks *hail*. No-dice. I've read about fresh drives randomly dieing, but most consumers don't remove the housing the solder them to a hub - warranty? no.

Also, I've purchased a "so-called" 20000mah External Battery off eBay; so we'll see how that works upon it's arrival.

Thanks a lot for the external dvi connector... I feel as though I have been lied to...why didn't I know about these

My "itty bitty" GPS arrived today, and works great even in the heart of downtown Vancouver (I spent the afternoon walking around with my eee letting MS streets 2008 dictate my route...too cool). I'm going to power it from the eee's motherboard but maintain it's bluetooth for it's communication capabilities. My cell phone has a GPS so this will be more of a novelty, but I'm sure extra features cant hurt.

I tore it apart and took some images (see below) FOr those interested it's a Route 66 Bluetooth GPS Reciever; which is a rebranded/re-cased Holux GPSlim 240

on another note a threw together the revisions to jesselang.ca, and it is now online. please feel free to have a look, I'll be throwing up a professionally photographed image library once my replacement 32GB arrives.

Last edited by Langer; 24th Mar 2008 at 09:38.
Old 24th Mar 2008, 10:08   #9
PHPASP
I LIKE TO CODE IT CODE IT I LIKE TO

PHPASP has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awsome, can't wait for a more detailed write up.
PHPASP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2008, 06:13   #10
Langer
Jesse Lang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
i would like to know how PS CS3 performs on that. can you use a stylus on that screen?
Your wish is my command.

A video (shot with a...shall we say 'sub-par'...canon powershot a530) of my eee starting Photoshop CS3, and a very brief user demo with the touch panel and a stylus (the touch works fine with fingers also, but with my small icon pack a stylus is the better route, any surface contact will result in cursor control).

link to video on Vimeo.
[edit] video fixed [/edit]

Canvas Size - 800x600 @ 72DPI
Brush size - 19 px
1170mhz (eeectl 0.2.3)
900x540 (asTray+ 1.3b2)

Desktop shot

Last edited by Langer; 25th Mar 2008 at 10:32.
Old 25th Mar 2008, 13:12   #11
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
it definatly looks as if its got the horse power, lol! will have to look into it.

i7 930, GA-X58-USB3, 12GB Kingston, GTX980, 240GB Cruical SSD, 1Tb Seagate, WC
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2008, 03:26   #12
Langer
Jesse Lang

I decided to try an make a comparison between the two more common touch screen kits available for the eeePC off ebay. They are commonly identified by their ebay seller ID's; this making them the "kiddshop" and "fido" touch screen kits. As there is quite a lot of discussion over which of these options to go with.

As you can see, there is very little difference between the two.

The kiddshop ($84.99CAD delivered) one is slightly clearer, delivery is faster and it comes with a host of extra wire/tape/connectors/etc. As well as very substantial documentation on installing and troubleshooting (kiddshop also responds quickly to emails regarding troubleshooting issues)

The fido ($64.00 delivered) one took about 3-weeks to arrive to Vancouver and comes wrapped bubble wrap inside a box filled with styrofoam peanuts (where the controller floats about freely in no box/bag). I never contacted fido after the auction so I cant speak for his communication skills.

Images below, click for larger res

All in all I'd say that the Kiddshop screen is a better alternative, with an incredibly minor leg-up (the difference seems more apparent holding the two touch panels side-by-side in the air) in the translucency and 'wavy-line' factors.
With that comes my little caveat: if you are confident with your installation abilities, don't want the extra doo-dad's, and don't mind fido's lackluster shipping methods, then the Fido screen is the superior option as you'll be saving $20.

Just my observations, don't take my work for it...go buy your own (seriously...too cool).

On an unrelated note. Here are the wifi antenna's I'm using with the intel 4965AGN:

Last edited by Langer; 27th Mar 2008 at 08:02.
Old 30th Mar 2008, 02:44   #13
Langer
Jesse Lang

I've uploaded most of the software/drivers/bios that I am using/have used on my eeePC avail for public download: HERE

I liked the looks of another user's wire over on eeeUser, can't recall exactly who off-hand, so I went out and purchased some 30gage wrapping wire for myself yesterday, (I'd have preferred orange, or black...but blue was the only option)

Here are the beginnings of my wire-replacement.

Updates:
1-I've taken this opportunity to move some things around.
2-I've added some connectors to the sides of the DIP to let me disconnect two of the lightbars that are fixed to the shell, freeing the motherboard.
3-With the release of SSwitch I don't feel there a need to control the touch/bluetooth with the DIP so I removed it from the loop.
4-The "White Wifi Antenna" has been moved to make room for the GPS antenna, not worried about signal quality because the orig. antennas are only being used for the RF devices. The new WiFi-N antennas are located behind the LCD.
5-I also swapped to my Fido touch sceen, and moved it's LED to be located on-top of the bluetooth to make it externally visible (as I have a hole drilled and filled with a plexi rod to make the LED externally visible.

I made the swap from the Kiddshop model for two reasons:
1-I liked the connector on the fido screen
2-Compare performance differences (if any)

These images don't have the keyboard RF or the RF security lock; I'm still waiting on my bloody 32gb USB flash drive, and the wifi-n card. Until they arrive I don't want to place the rest.

More images available upon request.

More to come soon but I've got a lot of real work to catch up on first.

I also added a trivial album to my photobucket gallery filled with product shots of the devices purchased for this endevour.

Old 31st Mar 2008, 02:05   #14
NZ_mod_man
Multimodder

NZ_mod_man has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
DUDE! This is INSANE!

How much stuff can you fit in an eeePC!

I demand a FULL tutorial (each and every step Photoed and each photo explained in full) for each of these mods.

Dude! I seriously gotta try this!
I know so many people like that...
Classic
NZ_mod_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2008, 02:15   #15
Langer
Jesse Lang

Full tutorial?
----No.

Comprehensive guide, with lots of photos and diagrams showing available space, pin-out locations, and all that sweet stuff?
----Yes. It's in the works now. I've got quite a lot of 'work work' to do for the time being; which works out... lets me keep my mind of slow shipping times.

Tune in next week kids, same Bat time. Same Bat channel.

On another note, the 8.9" eeePC 900 series w/ multi-touch mouse pad (among other things) is coming out soon...more room!

Old 5th Apr 2008, 07:36   #16
Langer
Jesse Lang

My RF security adapter now installed, this thing is great it even came in a perdy molded foam display case, all for about $10.00.

When you walk about 6' away from the eeePC with the dongle in your pocket the PC locks up and displays an image of your choosing full screen. (passwords are also an option)

purchased here

Here is the lock screen I made in illustraor, that I use.

If the USB is removed when the PC is locked it remains locked and needs you to either reinsert the device, or enter the assigned password.
However, seeing as it is installed internally... that wont be a problem.

Lastly a video of the device in question doing it's noble duty towards the eeePC security cause.

Old 6th Apr 2008, 00:32   #17
330td
Multimodder

330td has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good job so far

Keep up the good work!

I hope the eee pc 900 will get a third party touchscreen
Old 6th Apr 2008, 09:50   #18
_-..zKiLLA..-_
Multimodder

_-..zKiLLA..-_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
dont lose your dongles everybody!!
_-..zKiLLA..-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2008, 10:50   #19
NZ_mod_man
Multimodder

NZ_mod_man has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer View Post
On another note, the 8.9" eeePC 900 series w/ multi-touch mouse pad (among other things) is coming out soon...more room!

What could you do with more room anyway? How many other accessories are there?
Or maybe you could mod in a 10" or 10.5" touch screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer View Post
Internal Port Allocation:
4GB Onboard SSD
---1- WindowsXP Pro Corp (nLite to ~450mb)

8x Onboard USB Ports
---1- USB Port 1
------ External USB Port 1
---2- USB Port 2
------ External USB Port 2
---3- USB Port 3
------ External USB Port 3
---4- Mini-PCIe Port 1
------ 4 Port USB Hub
---------1- 32GB Flash Drive
---------2- Bluetooth Adapter
---------3- 7" Touch-screen controller
---------4- ATSC wireless digital TV-tuner
---5- Mini-PCIe Port 2
------ 4 Port USB Hub
---------1- GPS Adapter
---------2- Wireless Keyboard RF Reciever
---------3- Wireless Security RF AutoLock
---------4- *unused* (for now)
---6- Webcam
---7- SDHC Card Reader
------- 16GB SDHC Class 6 Card
---8- ?unknown?

-jesse
Where exactly are the USB hubs connected to?

What is all that yellow film stuff? Is it to stop thing shorting out....maybe?

I so can't wait 'till your next one!!! Mod on and keep us posted!!

I would really love to to this but I first need a bit of spare cash $$$.
I know so many people like that...
Classic
NZ_mod_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 05:53   #20
Langer
Jesse Lang

THANKS!

How many other accessories are there?
----Honestly,the only thing holding this eeePC back is that I ran out of useful gadgets to install. I scowered the web but didn't find anything that tickled my fancy. But the new gadgets of 2008 are only just starting to pop up... and the good stuff wont be here until Q3.

Or maybe you could mod in a 10" or 10.5" touch screen?
----I've actually been looking into 3x20" panels for my workstation. I figured it would put a new twist to editing video and playing with after effects. (if anyone is interested, each panel w/ USB controller can be found on google pretty quickly under "resistive touch panel" at 19"-22" for about $150-$250CAD ea)

Where exactly are the USB hubs connected to?
----The 2xminiPCI-e ports on-board both have USB outputs. The one used for wifi doesn't take advantage of this pipeline to it was unused. The other miniPCI-e port isn't installed from the factory (only the first few months production and the 8G models have them). It was just a matter of making two solder connections to the motherboard for data+ and data- and another two for 5V+ and ground.

What is all that yellow film stuff?
---Kapton Tape, by 3M. A high heat silicon based tape used for insulating solder joints... ie. prevents shorting.

Thanks again for the support eneryone, I've been really bust but soon I'll be posting a proper guide.

View Mode