bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Mar 2008, 09:53   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Byron report suggests film-style ratings for games

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/03...ort_released/1

The government sponsored report into issues surrounding computer games will recommend a film-style rating system.

or ?
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2008, 10:17   #2
VipersGratitude
I *am* a Dremel

VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wait...I payed how much tax to let some sleazy politicians perv over her in a meeting? Because I certainly didn't pay anything for her to come up with original or insighttful conclusions.
Old 27th Mar 2008, 10:32   #3
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
I would so love to see a PG sticker on the box for Monopoly, because we all know 4 year olds are gonna be buying huge amounts of real estate etc. Or what about a 12 on Scrable, because you can make some funny/rude words on it (or try to at least)

Ok, so its aimed at computer/console games, but a games a game, and it wont take long for it to spread onto other game types, although, the current PEGI standard is easy to understand, i think it may actually be better if it was all one standard like the BBFC's standard. My thoughts on it though.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2008, 10:51   #4
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why was a TV-psychologist heading up the report? Ah well, makes about as much sense as anything else this Government does...

I'm not bothered about a film-style rating system, as long as the ratings office doesn't decide to ban something in game format, when it allows something just as bad (or worse) in a film. We just need a system that is enforceable, so a game rated 18 doesn't get into the hands of a 10-year-old... oh, wait, parents will buy those for their kids anyway.
Paradigm Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2008, 11:06   #5
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow she is fit, more pics of her please
Old 27th Mar 2008, 11:13   #6
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
> I certainly didn't pay anything for her to come up with original or insightful conclusions.

Neither did I.

Hey, why don't we use a ratings system that's similar to films to rate computer games!? Hang on, don't we do almost exactly that already?

Exactly how many billions of pounds did that smirking airhead siphon off to do this? I'm reminded of a memorable screen in Scrubs wherein the estimable John C. McGinley, as acerbic doctor Perry Cox, inserts clearly audible quotation marks around the professional title of "Doctor" Molly Clock (Heather Graham) who is, but for the fair hair, playing an almost exact charicature of "Doctor" Tanya Byron.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2008, 11:21   #7
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
I actually Agree with this (being 24) so long as films like saw, hostel, the hills have eyes are released to general public and even the more obscure Irreversible and I spit on your grave and Men Behind the Sun are availible then stuff like Manhunt will be availible to buy is fine by me

at the end of the day people need to wise up and realise that at no matter what age i play manhunt i would never stab someone where as some people will (scally layabout sh!ts)

will it make a difference at the end of the day no.
Old 27th Mar 2008, 11:23   #8
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Why did it have to be someone famous.. Well because were dealing with a celebrity obsessed culture of parents too dumb to read the box the only parenting advice they take is from hello or ok or some other bloody rag. Now it has come from the mouth of "her off the telly" they might even take notice for an hour, at least until the after the break on jerry springer or jeramy kyle or some other **** program.
Old 27th Mar 2008, 12:08   #9
oddius
What's a Dremel?

oddius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Did you notice the article on BBC TV News, the people actually responsible for the kids the PARENTS were letting a couple of 11-12 year old's play a 15 rated game wonder if they let them watch 18 rated films as well. Hmm.. well how do you legislate for responsible parenting.
oddius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2008, 12:15   #10
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I thought games already had ratings? Am I missing something?
Old 27th Mar 2008, 12:28   #11
mmorgue
Supermodder

mmorgue has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMaltor View Post
+1 !!!
mmorgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2008, 12:51   #12
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
Mmmmmm Dr. Byron is hot. Her TV show was bad, but it was worth watching as she was in it.
Old 27th Mar 2008, 13:58   #13
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I thought that too, my copy of GTA:SA has an 18 in a circle, the writing on back of box says not to be supplied to any person under that age limit
Old 27th Mar 2008, 14:02   #14
MrMonroe
Multimodder

MrMonroe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Yes. But they need to continue making it an issue so now they're going to tell you the ratings they originally imposed were obtuse and hard to understand (Mature? Well, he's got armpit hair...) and foist an entirely new and probably more obfuscating system of ratings onto the industry so they can appear to be doing something about violence in videogames.

For the parents: it's your responsibility. Do some damn research before you hand your kid $50 to go down to EB.
MrMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2008, 15:48   #15
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
"cigarette-style health warnings have been suggested"

WTH?
Old 27th Mar 2008, 16:36   #16
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMaltor
aye, more pics please.
Old 27th Mar 2008, 17:01   #17
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Currently the BBFC applies legal ratings to games it feels needs them (e.g. GTA), the report is suggesting that they get applied to all of them.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2008, 17:26   #18
Shadowed_fury
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Shadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
All that is needed is game ratings to actually be enforced. (I'm so evil at work with IDing people lol)
Just it never works with games cos mummy and daddy help out!
Shadowed_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2008, 17:40   #19
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
Currently the BBFC applies legal ratings to games it feels needs them (e.g. GTA), the report is suggesting that they get applied to all of them.
Exactly - ratings are not obligatory in the UK. The BBFC just selects the OTT games and rates them.
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2008, 18:01   #20
Joeymac
Multimodder

Joeymac has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It would be completely impractical for the BBFC to rate and control games like they do movies. If this came about then all games which have no ratings.. (of which there is like a million)... would be illegal to sell. If they don't make it illegal to sell those older, unrated games, then it's an utterly pointless exercise. (.. I know, we know it is anyway)

Then there's online sales. Steam; will the UK ISPs be forced into banning access to Steam if they don't comply with some ridiculous UK rules?
XBLA and all smaller games.... Are games like N+ going to need to be put through the BBFC rating process???? Hell no they aren't, the BBFC charge a lot, for a small game that'll cut heftily into profits. That'll mean Microsoft will be forced into not selling those games in the UK.

Basically, stupid pretty woman "Dr"..... **** off. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Joeymac is offline   Reply With Quote