1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp and DX10

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Braveheart, 28 Mar 2008.

1. Braveheart

Braveheart a dremel? i just use my teeth

so i am confused...can i run DX10 a DX10 card and DX10 games in XP?

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

no. xp does not support dx10.
    even if the game supports it, and even if your hardware supports it.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

this really has been beaten to death, no it wont and never will

4. Braveheart

ok, i thought so. just kept hearing a rumor "DX10 works on XP!" i am glad i just ordered home premium 64.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

People that said that DX10 could work on XP, don't know anything...
    DX10 is significantly changed to a point that if you want REALLY to have it in XP, you will ave to perform MAJOR modification to the core system, which leads turning Windows XP into Vista...

I was told by several professionals from video card companies (Nvidia, ATI) that confirms this, and countless forums posts. It just cannot be done; and the reason why some people are still stubborn to the fact that: "it could be done easily, just Microsoft wants to push Vista sells... I'll just wait for a hack." idea, is that they think that Direct X is a simple software that runs on the back of your games and that can updated like any other software, and not a super complex deep core communicating library system, that must be in the video card AND in the OS core.

@Braveheart, great choice with Vista Home Premium 64-bit :)

Last edited: 28 Mar 2008
  6. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

Apart from Halo2 & ShadowRun{?} (which actually can be hacked to work with XP) there is currently no game out that requires Vista+DX10 Card.

So if you don't want Vista, but want to play all those lovely DX10 games you can - you just wont get the DX10 effects - but most people will argue that you cant tell the difference anyway!

There was a project to implement DX10 into XP, but unfortunately it died.. clicky.
    Not sure why - but I don't think it was because DX10 into XP was impossible, as it was proven that it could be achieved.

7. GoodBytes

NO NO NO NO! Dam it! All you are doing is forcing, sacrificing game stability and graphics by having it played on XP. You are not Moving DX10.
    The only reason why those 2 games was able to even run under XP, is because the hole game was actually done in DX9, and they probably had some if Vista condition than use some DX10 effects at certain (few) areas.

8. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Don't go on that site! Clicked on the link, the page loaded and then immedeately my F-Secure reported it has found harmful code in the Temporary Internet Files folder...

9. Braveheart

thansk:D

10. kno3

kno3 What's a Dremel?

Nice post, that clears up alot of things, as a linux user a lot of the time, i hear lots of bad stuff about M$, some of which is true, but this stuff like the "DX10 can go on XP, there just *******s" seems pretty unfounded. Thanks for clearing that up and i now have somwhere to point people if they start spouting that at me again.

11. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad The 20 Year Old Guy

Its a shame it doesnt run on xp, but then again they built dx10 from the ground up so maybe it will be worthwhile having to run it in vista. but from what i seen so far it just brings more lighting effects so far.

12. GoodBytes

The problem is that they are currently no games fully in DX10... they only use DX10 for only few areas in game, like a small lake or fountain and light, as game developers want people with DX9 graphic cards be able to play their games.
    It will take some time before we see 100% DX10 game, that are also well optimize and take full advantage of it. Microsoft expected such results as they saw since every release of Direct X.

Its a shame your computer doesn't run Vista ;)

13. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

On a (slightly) related note, are there any 64-bit capable games out there? I mean ones that have been specifically written to run on Vista x64. Having got my new rig, it seems a shame to be doing all my gaming on my XP partition...

Andy

14. GoodBytes

So far, personally (I could be wrong), I did not hear any 64-bit games. Gaming industry is slow :p, no seriously it is again market share, specially that many people that play games simply have a WinXP with 1 GB of RAM and Gefocre 6600 GT or similar graphic card... we will have to wait some time.
    You can still play 32-bit games under Vista 64-bit, you won't have to switch OS.

15. Millusdk

Millusdk What's a Dremel?

What is the differense between Vista 32-bit and 64-bit? My laptop is a core duo running 32-bit vista, and yet some people on these forums get 64-bit vista for their core 2 duo machines.

16. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I dont know the technicalities (is that even a real word?) of it but 32bit doesn't support much more than 3GB of RAM whereas the 64bit supports 4GB and more (is it unlimited?)

17. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

64bit does have a limit but its much higher than the 32bit os.
    I dont think that haveing a limitless system is currently withen our reach.

18. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

19. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Those articles Hazardous links to are horribly outdated - the driver problem is no more and you won't experience any (notable) slowdowns. Just get 64-bit, unless you know you have something that hasn't got 64-bit drivers like a fingerprint reader etc.

20. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I agree - on both ;)

The links were put up, simply to show/answer the question regarding the "differences between the two", not to advise on getting one over the other :idea: