bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Apr 2008, 08:50   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Asus P5K Pro

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...asus_p5k_pro/1

An inexpensive, well featured P35 board with Asus' energy efficient EPU and a full eight phase power regulation? The Asus P5K Pro seems to have it right - we find out if it's as good as the spec sheet implies.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 09:11   #2
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Certainly is a strange layout. The sata port placement on recent boards really needs sorting out.

Good to see there is a pot of gold at the end of it though
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 09:19   #3
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The layout basically kills it, I mean there are plenty of P35 boards avalaible so I can't really see a reason to buy a board with a flawed layout.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 09:34   #4
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
It also only has the ALC883 Audio Codec, Which disables 5.1 Audio over SPDIF - Stereo only.
Also, there's no line-in passthrough on it.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 09:58   #5
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders
It also only has the ALC883 Audio Codec, Which disables 5.1 Audio over SPDIF - Stereo only.
Also, there's no line-in passthrough on it.
Like I said - for "basic" audio, it suffices, but otherwise just get a cheap audio card.

Nao - fair play mate - there are a LOT of good P35 boards worth buying.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 10:58   #6
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

That 24-pin position...
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 12:16   #7
Vode
Minimodder

Vode has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Spelling, page two: "mosphets"
Vode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 12:53   #8
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Can you guys please get a DFI DK P35 to compare it too?

Apart from the layout, its a good looking board
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 13:02   #9
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
British spelling I'm insistent on the ph - just like Sulphur.
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 13:19   #10
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I kinda assumed when they created SATA that the size of the connectors intended people to place the ports on the 'underside' of the mobo in a line, you'd still have a few mm clearance from the case standoffs and you'd have 6+ uncomprimised ports!
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 13:59   #11
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
Nao - fair play mate - there are a LOT of good P35 boards worth buying.
Yep, thats what I meant, my point was the P5K pro loosing ground due to that, I'll admit I should have worded it better.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 14:01   #12
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
Yep, thats what I meant, my point was the P5K pro loosing ground due to that, I'll admit I should have worded it better.
I won't deny it was certainly a poignant consideration, but it's a recommended product (it works very well and we would use one ourselves) and not an excellence (obviously) partly due to these two reasons. Inevitably there are people who want different things from a board
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 14:23   #13
prosser13
Hasn't got a Dremel!

prosser13 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
British spelling I'm insistent on the ph - just like Sulphur.
MOSFETs is an acronym, not a word
prosser13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 14:34   #14
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

LOL Fair point. I just thought it was Americanisation of the English language (as usual).

Go on clever-cloggs - what does it stand for then?
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 15:30   #15
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
hmm, thought I might read this and regret buying a P5KC last month, but that ATX connector alone is enough to put me off. (tho the P5KC still has the slightly daft SATA positioning, and the same rubbish floppy port location, although that's not much of an issue).
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 15:34   #16
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well, blimey. I must admit, I thought mosfet was the given way of spelling it.
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 16:05   #17
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

I shall capitalise it in future too! Every day's a school day. ^_^
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 17:40   #18
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
LOL Fair point. I just thought it was Americanisation of the English language (as usual).

Go on clever-cloggs - what does it stand for then? ;
Metal
Oxide
Silicon
Field
Effect
Transistor.

Reading the review took this mobo off my shortlist for my next upgrade. That layout sucks like a Dyson!

Edit: Oops. Didn't see the linky in Kenco's post!
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 20:50   #19
Jojii
hardware freak

Jojii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what about the 3870 x2, does that fall under the no crossfire umbrella?
Jojii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 23:04   #20
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojii View Post
what about the 3870 x2, does that fall under the no crossfire umbrella?
No that's fine - any "single PCB" (even dual slot) will fit.