bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Apr 2008, 08:15   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Penny Arcade launches Greenhouse

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/04...s_greenhouse/1

The Penny Arcade team has announced it will soon be launching Greenhouse, an online distribution platform for indie games.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 08:56   #2
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
didn't steam start as a distribution platform for indie games?
which leads to my second question: why not just use steam?
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 09:44   #3
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't see the need for a steam competitor for small indie games when Steam has been making itself far more available to the little guy of late.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 09:49   #4
Rexxie
Multimodder

Rexxie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think another platform is sort of a waste. I do appreciate the efforts to make indie games available, but I feel Steam has already covered this to a certain extent. I'm sure they are working on improving Steam to make it even more open.
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 11:09   #5
iwog
Linux cursed

iwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremeliwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremeliwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
*puts economist hat on*
But increased competition will lead to reduced prices and seeing as it will be the indie developer with the market power not the customer or distribution system it will result in a reduced rate of commission charged if (and its a big if) both distribution systems are of an equal size. There is also further economic modeling to suggest that increased competition increases the size of the market and therefore there will be more consumers and more developers.
*takes hat off*

Blag on the Intertubes
iwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 11:28   #6
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
True, but if both offered similar commission deals right now, wouldn't you go with steam? It's a much larger established userbase, and good indie games can be really well represented and end up successful. Take Audiosurf for example. It had rave reviews, sure, but would it have had as many if it wasn't on a distribution system that was already installed on a large userbase?
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 19:52   #7
Jordan Wise
Baby called to see the boss...

Jordan Wise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
waste of time, steam is more than good enough at everything and is good to indie games already

Steam ID:jordanwise
Jordan Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 20:55   #8
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Competition is good, and I think the Penny Arcade guys are in a great position to push for a better marketplace. If they can encourage developers to be more multi-platform (IE linux and mac compatible) then this is a good thing.
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 23:10   #9
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo View Post
Competition is good, and I think the Penny Arcade guys are in a great position to push for a better marketplace. If they can encourage developers to be more multi-platform (IE linux and mac compatible) then this is a good thing.
i agree.
Old 5th Apr 2008, 23:51   #10
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its getting a bit annoying having to run all these digital distribution programs, Doesn't Supreme commander come with one? and i believe there are a few others

I sort of wish people would all just use steam so we only have to deal with one resource hog, but on the other hand, steam is hardly amazing (overpriced games, buggy, slow, windows only, only supports IE)
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote