bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Apr 2008, 14:56   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Unboxing the Asus Eee PC 900

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...s_eee_pc_900/1

We had some time this morning with Asus' new Eee PC 900 that features a bigger screen, bigger SSD drive, more memory and even a Windows XP option. Check inside for unboxing pictures and our first thoughts!

Digg for Cheesecake

Last edited by CardJoe; 15th Apr 2008 at 15:07.
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:19   #2
legoman666
Beat to fit, paint to match.

legoman666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremellegoman666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why do you taunt me so?
legoman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:23   #3
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
want!
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:25   #4
lewchenko
Supermodder

lewchenko has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The original screen was too small. This version has now got me interested. Its a shame the processor is such a slouch though. But hey .. for 329... its ok. They should really stick to below 299 though.

Also.. some photo's next to other real world objects .. like a magazine please. So we get to appreciate its size.

I also think they should ditch the white plastic look. It tries to look like a mac book, but just looks cheap.
lewchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:26   #5
TreeDude
Supermodder

TreeDude has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Shame the processor still blows.
TreeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:27   #6
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hmm, I wonder if it is as easily extendible as the 700 series was.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:31   #7
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Pretty much the same hardware inside though, so it's easily overclocked to the full 900MHz.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:31   #8
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks quiet good, any idea if its going to be available in Black? Like the last, as it looked really smart.
Although, maybe the price is a little steep, considering you can pick up a laptop for 50quid ish more, bah, oh well.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:33   #9
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
(how?) can you get one of these to run its CPU at stock speeds - or do you have to do the whole de-solder/re-solder with a new CPU?

edit; I'd probably get one of these just for movies on the go or to play diablo 2 while stuck in meetings or waiting for oppointments. speaking of diablo 2, can you get the screen to switch to 800x600 (native res of D2 LOD)?
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:33   #10
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
I just bought a black Eee PC 4G Surf knowing that a new one was not too far from release. I have no trouble with the screen size, only with the internal storage space, though a portable external will fix that. Any hopes of a CD/DVD drive on the Eee PC 900?
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:35   #11
lewchenko
Supermodder

lewchenko has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Other people that have overclocked their EEE's back to 900Mhz have experienced crashes though if running the overclock for prolonged periods of time.

An excellent guide to overclocking your eee is here : http://www.cyb3rglitch.com/Overclock...rclock-Eee.php
lewchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:35   #12
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkiller42
Looks quiet good, any idea if its going to be available in Black? Like the last, as it looked really smart.
Although, maybe the price is a little steep, considering you can pick up a laptop for 50quid ish more, bah, oh well.

Sam
It will be available in black, yes.
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:49   #13
ClearCaseMan
Acrylic GOD

ClearCaseMan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
at a glance this seems like a deal. but I just purchased a gateway laptop with a intel core duo 1.6ghz 3 gig of ram and a 250gig hd for $649.00 us the conversion from the 329.00 to us dollars is. 329.00 GBP = 645.920 USD to me it just seems more of a toy than a tool for that price when you can have much better for less.
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:52   #14
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wouldn't at all mind having one of these, provided I can get a longer-lasting battery. But even still, I'd probably wait until I can find some hacked version of Leopard to install on the thing (I DO have two unused seats from my family five-pack, after all).
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:53   #15
Fusen
Supermodder

Fusen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
are you sure the CPU isn't clocked at 900Mhz? Engadget reviewed the same model and their one wasn't underclocked.

Also, I'd wait till the Atom CPU is used around June instead of buying it now
Fusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:54   #16
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
I really really want one, but I threw away a dell flyer yesterday offering a low spec laptop (semperon 2Ghz, 1Gb ram, 120Gb Hd) for about 270, probably exVAT, but still, that's a whole proper laptop, for just about the same price.

How about a quick poll on what OS B-T readers would by these with. Personally I might swap the included distro for Ubuntu, but why would you want to run windows on something like this? (I have a gaming rig with vista for that sort of thing)
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 15:55   #17
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearCaseMan View Post
at a glance this seems like a deal. but I just purchased a gateway laptop with a intel core duo 1.6ghz 3 gig of ram and a 250gig hd for $649.00 us the conversion from the 329.00 to us dollars is. 329.00 GBP = 645.920 USD to me it just seems more of a toy than a tool for that price when you can have much better for less.
Your price conversion doesn't include tax which rapes us all quite alot in the uk.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 16:00   #18
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncertainGod View Post
Your price conversion doesn't include tax which rapes us all quite alot in the uk.

Even so with so many proper laptops available around the 300 mark I fail to see the point to this, I like it because its small but with the eeepcs not having great battery life or performance you may as well buy a proper machine, if they could give you this at the originals price point then superb but over 300, much mor difficult purchase.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 16:02   #19
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusen View Post
are you sure the CPU isn't clocked at 900Mhz? Engadget reviewed the same model and their one wasn't underclocked.

Also, I'd wait till the Atom CPU is used around June instead of buying it now
I specifically asked the Asus rep who bought this round, so I'm pretty sure.

And @Firehed, you can get extended batteries direct from Asus I believe - but 2 and a half hours still isn't bad. I've had mind run for around 3 hours without using wifi before on one charge with the standard battery.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 16:12   #20
theevilelephant
Ultramodder

theevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysis
looks nice and yes there are laptops for 300, the point of the eeepc is that its so small, light and portable. I will wait a while in the hope the price dips below the 300 mark.