bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Apr 2008, 10:09   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Square Enix: Japanese tech is just as powerful

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/04..._as_powerful/1

Square Enix addresses concerns that Japanese game developers aren't making the most of the tools at their disposal with current technology.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 10:35   #2
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If final fantasy 13 looks as good as I think it will I completely agree with him.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 10:39   #3
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
All your base are just as good as us?
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 11:29   #4
mmorgue
Supermodder

mmorgue has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yes, if it looks as good as the image accompanying the article then sure, I'd agree. But time will tell. The FF series was renowned for the amazing CGI and cut scenes but 'average' in-game/gameplay graphics.
mmorgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 12:25   #5
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hmm, I thought their current engine was simply called 'white" for their ps3 games.
aside form that, FF VS 13 looks pretty damn good and I'm eager to get my mitts on it (though I don't have a ps3): http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/16735
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 12:53   #6
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgue
Yes, if it looks as good as the image accompanying the article then sure, I'd agree. But time will tell. The FF series was renowned for the amazing CGI and cut scenes but 'average' in-game/gameplay graphics.
Wha-?

Final Fantasy generally set the bar for 'the game with the best graphics' whenever it was released, no? This was true for VIII-X anyway (IMO).

I wouldn't call it average...
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 12:57   #7
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanrais
hmm, I thought their current engine was simply called 'white" for their ps3 games.
aside form that, FF VS 13 looks pretty damn good and I'm eager to get my mitts on it (though I don't have a ps3): http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/16735

Nice pre rendered cgi intro's don't make a game good. All those Japanese games have beautiful scenery but the game and game play is most of the time like playing a game of chess.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 13:30   #8
Jordan Wise
Baby called to see the boss...

Jordan Wise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgue
Wha-?

Final Fantasy generally set the bar for 'the game with the best graphics' whenever it was released, no? This was true for VIII-X anyway (IMO).

I wouldn't call it average...
and even 7 at its launch, mind you it was only competeing against tomb raider at that point i think

Steam ID:jordanwise
Jordan Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 13:46   #9
knowyourenemy
Professional Winner

knowyourenemy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]
Quote:

Nice pre rendered cgi intro's don't make a game good. All those Japanese games have beautiful scenery but the game and game play is most of the time like playing a game of chess.
What's wrong with chess?
Old 16th Apr 2008, 15:36   #10
Faulk_Wulf
Internet Addict

Faulk_Wulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its an RPG not a FSP/3rdPS.

And since when does chess involve swords bigger then you head, majestic enviroments, and powerful moving stories?

(Though, you're right, a CGI-intro doesn't make a game. But 7-10/10-2 and Crisis Core have never let me down. And I'm sure someone will agree with that about 1-6.)
Faulk_Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 16:09   #11
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]
Quote:

The best graphics awards tended to be from the CGI, not the standard gameplay. My copy of FFVII continues to state "the best graphics ever" or something to that general extent on the back, but even comparing other 1997-era games tends to show a pretty big difference in detail between in-game and prerendered content.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 16:18   #12
automagsrock
Ultramodder

automagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremelautomagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremelautomagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremelautomagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremelautomagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremelautomagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah they can code with the best of them but would it kill them to take a break from FF and maybe give us DQ fans a game or two. I mean hell, even an announcement of weather-or-not we're getting any of the new DS remakes of 4, 5, and 6 would be fine

I will say though, FF13 does look very pretty.

My computer sucks
automagsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 22:45   #13
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
I'm actually waiting for another Parasite Eve game....

According to Wikipedia, there is another one coming out, but it's for cell phones. BARF

And does anyone else have the game Ehrgeiz? It's a FIGHTING GAME made by SQUARESOFT for the Playstation. It was not only a fighting game, as it included a hack 'n slash dungeon crawler as well. Why isn't square doing more stuff like this?....
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2008, 15:56   #14
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
iirc thats not pre-rendered. development of fabula nova crystallis (the 3 ff13 games) started after the ff VII tech demo for ps3 was made. 13 and VS 13 were initially being made for the ps2 but shifted to the ps3 because of technical limits on ps2 (and the size of dvd's wasn't enough). I can't find any info about the trailer posted anymore but I'm pretty sure its real time, given that square-enix would have made a much better (graphically) trailer if it was pre-rendered. from what I recall, the graphics engine used for VS 13 uses 4 of the ps3 cell processors SPE's (or whatever the cores are named in the cell broadband cpu) to produce 'near pre-rendered visual quality".
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2008, 09:09   #15
Dr-Rogg
Two-wheeled terror of Tokyo

Dr-Rogg has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lost in translation?

Quote:
I do think that in terms of the language barrier, yes, it still is a challenge.
They have pretty stringent requirements for translators at Square-Enix. I applied for a supposedly part-time gig there, passed everything and finally got turned down simply because I already have a full-time job and they have a lot of lines of script to do
Dr-Rogg is offline   Reply With Quote