1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [04/08] Eilean Donan Castle

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by yodasarmpit, 24 Apr 2008.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

#1 Eilean Donan Castle. [This one will be submitted as a POTM entry]
    [​IMG]

#3 Loch Alsh.
    [​IMG]

#5 Eilean Donan Castle. UPDATED Version
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 May 2008
  2. Vers

Vers ...

#1 Hands down (maybe kill the light spots on the structure -> full silhouette). #5 seems like it could be a great shot but the lack of contrast, specifically in the hillside, takes away from it...possibly a bit of PP could bring it up, maybe a tighter crop as well (more pano-like). Other than that it has a lot of potential...nice lighting and reflection. Hope that doesn't come off to nit-picky, no harm intended.

-Matt

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Cheers Matt, I know what you mean about #5.
    I have a number of shots at various exposures so may try and pull something off in PP.
    Still a bit tired after the drive up there and back.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think #5 is by far the best of the bunch. I so can't wait to get over there and get my own shots!

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It's actually the first time I've been up the West Highlands, I just can't tell you how breathtaking the area is.

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I'm really quite a fan of #5. I like #1, but like Matt I see a whole lot of potential in #5. The contrast and slight UV haze is fixable and I think you have the building blocks for a beautiful image underneath.

Unlike Matt, I'm not sure I'd go for a full blackening of the castle in #1. The light isn't really distracting, in fact it provides a focal point within the focal point that I enjoy. It could have been distracting if it were the wrong color or something, but it's actually an asset to the image as far as I'm concerned.

7. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

Well, gotta say that my favorite is number 1, but as other said before, number 5 could look even better with a little bit of ps... and since you guys don't suck as much as I do in post-processing, i'm sure you can bring lots of improvement!! :)

8. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Indeed :rock: It's for precisely that reason, my mum and step-dad never go anywhere else for their annual holiday ;)
    "Why would we want to pay £100's - £1,000's to go abroad, when we have such beautiful scenery right on our own doorstep?"

Those photos help illustrate their point entirely :rock:

#5 is my personal favourite too Yoda, but they're all beautiful shots :clap:

9. Tim92

Tim92 Blah! Blah!

Wow, very nice shots!

Wish we had stuff like that around here. I have to agree, number #5 takes the cake.

May I use #5 as a background?

10. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

Wonderful, yoda. I love the first one.

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Some very nice photos there, yoda.

I prefer #5 to the others. The others, while nice silhouettes, lack something to give them a real punch. I can't really put my finger on it, but they almost feel too plain. Although, the inherent serenity in them helps enhance the calm feeling of sunset at the day's end.

I really like #5. In my opinion, the lack of contrast in the background helps the castle and bridge pop out of the image. The warm light is wonderful. Since the sky is a featureless, I would agree with Matt that you could stand to crop a bit off the top and make the image more panoramic.

I really wish we had geography and architecture like that around here. :(

-monkey

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I've put them through some PS work as I feel I'm sometimes too conservative with post processing.

Opinions anyone?

#1a
    [​IMG]

#3a
    [​IMG]

#5a
    removed

Last edited: 24 Apr 2008
  13. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

1a. still definitely my favourite choice. Looks really nice with those pink-red-purple colors, but maybe increasing the yellow tint from the beginning might also look cool (just a thought). I prefer 5a as it was before, without so much contrast. 3a is miiiiiiles better than the before. nice work!!

14. OleJ

OleJ Me!

1st #1 for POTM and 1st #5 are tops.
    The PS adjustments you've made don't fall in my tastes. The "original" ones are definitely the best. The pink tint you enhanced on #1 might be better if not as candid. I think generally you've slightly overdone the adjustments but the ideas behind are good.

I wish I had such beautiful nature close by :)

15. Vers

Vers ...

Brett, I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty to do a bit of messin' with #5...heres what I came up with in the matter of 5-10 min. Obviously if I had the original file I could make more in depth tweaks but...

Original
    [​IMG]
    PP
    [​IMG]

I'll have you know PP is not my strong suit (let alone landscapes), I'd much rather be out taking the photos rather than sitting behind my monitor editing them. BTW I didn't touch the sky nor did I use NR, so the image may look a bit pixelated.

Again...I usually don't touch other peoples work so I hope I did not offend. My apologies if so.

-Matt

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Not bad, however it's a little over saturated, toning that down does the trick though.

17. Vers

Vers ...

eh, I guess its personal taste, I should have toned down the hill top and the foliage on the left hand side a bit possibly even the bridge but the castle, island and evergreens look fairly good IMO...then again its your image ;) Looking forward to your final.

18. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

How did you manage to get screens of aplha version of next Elder Scrolls?!!

I love the shots mate..

19. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure I like the purple tones, Yoda. I think the originals are better.

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It was an eight and a half hour round trip, so I'm sure you have something just as close :D

Tags: