bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Apr 2008, 14:58   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Making Gaming Better

http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2008...aming_better/1

Cliff Harris sees a bleak future for the games community. An insular group that purges n00bs, defends violent media and pirates games regularly - the end could be at hand! Thankfully, Cliff has a whole list full of ways to make gaming good again...

DIGG

Last edited by CardJoe; 24th Apr 2008 at 16:29.
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:15   #2
E-Jungle
What's a Dremel?

E-Jungle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good list

Even though it's considered wrong i still like to download games before i buy them. I don't mind shelling out for them but i want to know it's worth the money.
E-Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:16   #3
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Demo.

Cough.

Crap, I always get my coughs wrong.
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:18   #4
E-Jungle
What's a Dremel?

Yup, but a demo doesn't always resemble the finished product.
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:22   #5
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Care to give me an example of that supposed point? Between demos and reviews there's no need to pirate.

It's very much like stealing a necklace from a shop to try it on and see if it looks good, but promising to go back and buy it later. Intention doesn't matter because the reality is that you've stolen.
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:25   #6
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
Also, demo's aren't always available, unfortunately. When they are, it's brilliant: I totally agree that a demo gives you enough playtime to form a decision over purchasing the full game.
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:26   #7
E-Jungle
What's a Dremel?

Hence why i said that i know it's considered wrong. Example: The Crysis demo just doesn't run smooth on my pc. The full version runs great with the same settings.
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:27   #8
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good list.
Can't disagree with anything on it personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:32   #9
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hear Burnout Paradise is an example of a bad demo.
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:35   #10
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

It's not bad per se, it just doesn't fully show off the game.
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:44   #11
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Darkstar one had a horrible demo.

Well, the demo was pretty great, that's the problem, the final game wasn't. The demo worked perfectly smooth, the final game was horrible buggy.

The demo was quite short, so when I bought the game I expected more, instead, I got the short demo, repeated, over and over, with bugs, it was horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:47   #12
mrb_no1
Pie Eater

mrb_no1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
good article, raising important points. Now that i am away from uni and in life, i buy most things as i took advantage whilst at university. love the pic for the article too

and as an admin on my clan's bf2142 server, we dont tolerate the offensive names, you'll get a perm ban unless its funny and ingenious in which case i would kick you once for it and expect to see it change, failure to do so results in a perm ban. We dont do flaming or noobing, if you want to be offensive with someone, join their squad and use the voip to bash eachother but keep it off of the ingame texts... sometimes it can be hard for noobs though, if you come onto a clan server and we are there, it'll be hard to rack up points if you are against us because of squad play and our experience, but still you learn alot from mistakes and when people better you.

peace

fatman
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3600Mhz ¦ Asus Maximus II Formula ¦ ATI Radeon 4890 (1000Mhz Core + 1200Mhz Mem OC) ¦ 2x2G Corsair Dom. PC 8500 @ 1080Mhz ¦ Aquacomputer WC ¦ Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty ¦ 150G Raptor, 2x1500 + 1x750 + 2x500 Seagate (SATA2) ¦ Pioneer DVD burner ¦ Lian Li - PC 73SL Aluminium Silent Server Case ¦ Dell 2007WFP 20" Widescreen ¦ Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers ¦ Sennheiser HD270
mrb_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2008, 15:58   #13
E-Jungle
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
It's very much like stealing a necklace from a shop to try it on and see if it looks good, but promising to go back and buy it later. Intention doesn't matter because the reality is that you've stolen.
I fully appreciate the point you make, but if i like/play the game i'll buy it and if i don't like it i don't play it as well. On an ethical level you are right because you are stealing by definition, but since the game isn't physical (when you download it) it doesn't hurt the retailers. Files you can delete, but i highly doubt the necklace would be returned to the shop.

In my opinion it's the peeps that download and never buy something that will be the downfall of PC gaming, if the future brings us the grim doomsday scenario currently thought out by some of the industries minds. Casual games like Pontifex (which i highly recommend) will still be made because they are cheap to produce.

edit: typo
Old 24th Apr 2008, 16:09   #14
MrMonroe
Multimodder

MrMonroe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A n00b isn't always new to the game. If someone really is a new lvl 15 player in CoD4, I try to explain that they are killing their teammates with Martyrdom and would they please turn it off. If someone is a lvl 55 player and is popping smoke right in front of the team, I start getting angry. The point here is that there's a time and a place to call someone a n00b.

Other sports have plenty of trash talking, they just use different terminology. Obviously, only the better players and players who've been playing for a while are the ones who bear the brunt of it, just as it should be with games. The anonymity does tend to lead people to be total dicks to each other, though.
MrMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2008, 16:14   #15
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wasn't a consensus reached on the forums a while back noob is derogatory while newb is term of relative affection.
Old 24th Apr 2008, 16:30   #16
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Jungle View Post
I fully appreciate the point you make, but if i like/play the game i'll buy it and if i don't like it i don't play it as well. On an ethical level you are right because you are stealing by definition, but since the game isn't physical (when you download it) it doesn't hurt the retailers. Files you can delete, but i highly doubt the necklace would be returned to the shop.

In my opinion it's the peeps that download and never buy something that will be the downfall of PC gaming, if the future brings us the grim doomsday scenario currently thought out by some of the industries minds. Casual games like Pontifex (which i highly recommend) will still be made because they are cheap to produce.

edit: typo
No, it doesn't hurt the developers, it hurts the gamers. Developers see that their games are being pirated on PC and instead move to consoles for safety because, regardless of your motivation, all they see if you stealing. Which is also essentially all you are doing.
Old 24th Apr 2008, 17:01   #17
BigD79
Gadding about...

BigD79 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i thought this was about how games could be better.

i was going to say boobs.

But spot on though Cliff.
Old 24th Apr 2008, 17:06   #18
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD79 View Post
i thought this was about how games could be better.

i was going to say boobs.

But spot on though Cliff.
"Buy this game, free boob caress!"

That would stop piracy dead in its tracks!
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2008, 17:09   #19
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A lot of the time Demos come out after the game is released. This seems useless to prevent piracy

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2008, 17:13   #20
Andune
Minimodder

Andune has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
No, it doesn't hurt the developers, it hurts the gamers. Developers see that their games are being pirated on PC and instead move to consoles for safety because, regardless of your motivation, all they see if you stealing. Which is also essentially all you are doing.
Consoles doesn't mean safety, I don't know where they get that from.
I download games to try them before deciding if i should buy them (you always buy good games). I would gladly walk up to the makers of Portal (and other great games) and give them twice the amount i already paid just to let them know that i thought their game was pure awesomeness and that they should make more of it.
Of course there is also games that you see on the internet and think they look cool, download the demo and say "hey this was a bit short but still pretty good", "pirate" the game and after 20min you go "meh, this sucks" and then forget it. They see me stealing, I see myself avoiding a bad game so that I can spend my money on better ones.
Also, what about games like SSBB? Thanks to a little chip in my console I have been playing it since the beginning of February without paying.
Is this because the game is bad? No, its because the game isn't released here until the end of July!
Andune is offline   Reply With Quote