bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd May 2008, 08:13   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Memristor: the fourth circuit element

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05...cuit-element/1

HP Labs has announced experimental proof of the existence of a building block for electronic circuits dubbed the 'memristor', which could lead to instant-on computing.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:48   #2
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
I recommend anyone at uni with an Athens login gives it a go - it's a very interesting paper, which is well explained, even if you don't do semiconductor physics/electrical engineering.

I'd post up a diagram that explains the whole thing from the paper, but it's illegal...

The concept of the part is really revolutionary, but it's worth pointing out that the team haven't managed to make a large-numbered lattice of them yet, and that's the real test of whether we can use the technology yet.

Last edited by Krikkit; 2nd May 2008 at 10:01.
Krikkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:42   #3
zero0ne
Multimodder

zero0ne has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
BAD!!!

there is no point in trying to extend the silicon computer format; they should instead be pushing more for quantum computing!

(don't take my bad seriously, its only a joke!)
zero0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:11   #4
Faulk_Wulf
Internet Addict

Faulk_Wulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Huh. Cool.

I'll take a petabyte hard drive now, plzkthxbai?

:P
Faulk_Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 18:15   #5
willyolio
Multimodder

willyolio has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwillyolio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sweet. i love being in university. full access to papers.
willyolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 18:16   #6
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyolio View Post
Awesome, isn't it.
Old 2nd May 2008, 21:03   #7
johnmustrule
Supermodder

johnmustrule has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yes, tomorrow, probably.... ... ... .... .... ....
Old 2nd May 2008, 23:41   #8
cpemma
Ecky thump

cpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
the memristor is popularly being referred to, accurately, as a flux capacitor due to memristance being a relation between charge and magnetic flux

But of more interest
Quote:
They can also be fashioned into non-volatile solid-state memory, which would allow greater data density than hard drives with access times potentially similar to DRAM, replacing both components. HP prototyped a crossbar latch memory using the devices that can fit 100 gigabit in a square centimeter. The highest-density Flash memories store 16 gigabit in the same area, for comparison. HP has reported that its version of the memristor is about one tenth the speed of DRAM.
Old 3rd May 2008, 01:22   #9
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyolio View Post
what universities have access to this information?
Old 3rd May 2008, 23:56   #10
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
I recommend anyone at uni with an Athens login gives it a go - it's a very interesting paper, which is well explained, even if you don't do semiconductor physics/electrical engineering.

I'd post up a diagram that explains the whole thing from the paper, but it's illegal...

The concept of the part is really revolutionary, but it's worth pointing out that the team haven't managed to make a large-numbered lattice of them yet, and that's the real test of whether we can use the technology yet.
I rearly would like to read the paper but it's very expensive. I guess I can do when I get to uni?
is it posible to imagine this as EEPROM on steroids?
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 00:34   #11
ChromeX
I *am* a Dremel

ChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE View Post
what universities have access to this information?
Everyone with an access to the athens system, unfortunatly i've forgot my logon details so i cant access it from home. If Anyone wants a copy PM me, i'll pop in on tuesday and access it from uni and forward it.
ChromeX is offline   Reply With Quote