bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Photography, Art & Design

Old 5th May 2008, 23:18   #1
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
[05/08] Which came first

Old 5th May 2008, 23:28   #2
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
That's a really nice shot - the lighting is brilliant. Any chance of a big 'un?
Old 5th May 2008, 23:50   #3
Vers

Vers has yet to learn the way of the DremelVers has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Did you diffuse at all? That hot spot kills it a bit...as does the negative space, but I guess thats just a taste thing.
1DIII, 5DIII+BG-E11, 40Dx2, Tamron 17-50, Canon EF-S 17-85, 16-35L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 35L, 50 f/1.4, MP-E 65, 85 f/1.8, Sigma 150 Macro, 580EXIIx3, Giottos MT 9360+MH1001 Ballhead & MH658 QR system
flickr
TheSite//TheBlog//TheBook
Vers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 23:51   #4
Smilodon
The Antagonist

Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Aww! Dammit! I was going to do that!

*admits that the picture is really nice, and heads of to a corner to cry*

Seriously, though. The picture is really awesome. Good light and contrast.
Old 5th May 2008, 23:53   #5
yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
The negative space is entirely intentional, however as you say that's a personal taste thing.
I'm very partial to lots of negative space, unfortunately I sometimes feel alone in that respect
Old 5th May 2008, 23:56   #6
OleJ
Me!

OleJ has yet to learn the way of the DremelOleJ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I actually think the negative space tells a story of the chick having walked off leaving the shell. A very calm composition. But I agree that the hot spot is a bit large. I think further diffusion / more texture and color in the egg would lift this further. This IS nitpicking though
How'd you punch that hole by the way? It looks rather authentic
Old 6th May 2008, 00:03   #7
yodasarmpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleJ View Post
I actually think the negative space tells a story of the chick having walked off leaving the shell. A very calm composition. But I agree that the hot spot is a bit large. I think further diffusion / more texture and color in the egg would lift this further. This IS nitpicking though
How'd you punch that hole by the way? It looks rather authentic
The hole was punched from the inside out, now go figure that out
Old 6th May 2008, 00:22   #8
Vers

Vers has yet to learn the way of the DremelVers has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its not so much the idea of negative space, rather the way in which it was used...In other words I feel the composition is a bit off leaving too much foreground (feel as though the shell is floating in a vat of empty space) If the shell was placed towards the bottom of the frame it would seem as though its grounded a bit. BTW, if your going for a realistic take-- when a chick hatches it breaks the egg shell in two, similar to when you crack it open to fry one up. Whether than matters or not is up to you
1DIII, 5DIII+BG-E11, 40Dx2, Tamron 17-50, Canon EF-S 17-85, 16-35L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 35L, 50 f/1.4, MP-E 65, 85 f/1.8, Sigma 150 Macro, 580EXIIx3, Giottos MT 9360+MH1001 Ballhead & MH658 QR system
flickr
Old 6th May 2008, 00:26   #9
Vers

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodasarmpit View Post
The hole was punched from the inside out, now go figure that out
I see a slit in the shell membrane...Happen to use a wire/fish hook? (poke a small hole with a pin, insert hook then pull punching a larger hole, then possibly using a prod to remove the rest of the shell for a desired shape/hole size) I've also used a corkscrew instead of a hook.
flickr
Old 6th May 2008, 00:44   #10
yodasarmpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vers View Post
I see a slit in the shell membrane...Happen to use a wire/fish hook? (poke a small hole with a pin, insert hook then pull punching a larger hole, then possibly using a prod to remove the rest of the shell for a desired shape/hole size) I've also used a corkscrew instead of a hook.
Nah, there's another hole at the back, where I pushed a small knife through from.
Old 6th May 2008, 00:49   #11
Smilodon
The Antagonist

Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
What did you use as a surface, BTW?

I'm looking for something to use as a background in "studio" photographing, but haven't found anything ideal yet.
Old 6th May 2008, 00:52   #12
yodasarmpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
What did you use as a surface, BTW?

I'm looking for something to use as a background in "studio" photographing, but haven't found anything ideal yet.
It's just a sheet of glass (from a photo frame) sitting on a black cloth material stretched out behind.
Old 6th May 2008, 01:04   #13
Vers

Completely forgot to ask...did you shoot this with your Sigma?
flickr
Old 6th May 2008, 01:09   #14
yodasarmpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vers View Post
Completely forgot to ask...did you shoot this with your Sigma?
Yeah, first shot with it, didn't get a chance to get outside much today.
Old 6th May 2008, 04:22   #15
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really love the negative space in this, actually. Like REALLY love it. I didn't even notice the hotspot on the shell until it was mentioned by OleJ and Vers.
Old 6th May 2008, 18:35   #16
CraZy
C÷stom ˙ser tŠtel

CraZy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm gona have to be with Da Dego on this one, the negative space really "makes" the photo work.
good job as always
Old 23rd May 2008, 18:33   #17
yodasarmpit

I'm thinking of updating it with this one.

Old 23rd May 2008, 19:34   #18
Smilodon
The Antagonist

TBH I like the first one better.

In the first one it looks like something have come out of the egg and wandered off (the negative space enhance this "feeling"). In the second one the egg looks just damaged. There is also a visible double reflection in the glass.

Having that said, I think the second one looks good as well, but not as good as the first.
Old 23rd May 2008, 20:02   #19
Vers

While the egg in the first image may look cleaner (in a sense) the second image portrays what an actual hatch would look like. Seeing as though a chick fits inside the egg with absolutely no room between it and the shell, the first image reveals a bit of inconsistency...how exactly would a chick fit through a hole that is a fraction of its size? Unless it was comprised of Jello it couldn't. From another standpoint I see what smilodon means about the shell looking a bit sloppy...then again its a bit more realistic.

As for the second image...the composition is much better and the shell balances very well with the use of negative space, but there is still something thats bothering me that I just can't quite pin down...something to do with the shell, just don't know what. Maybe its the angle of lighting? I like the way you lit the first image (from the left), but the second I'm not too sure of.
flickr
Old 16th Jun 2008, 22:12   #20
M_D_K
I Mod, Therefore I Own

M_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
^^^ **** it does seem twot with an a is censered

Tags
potm