bit-tech.net

Old 6th May 2008, 09:06   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Corsair VX550W PSU

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...power-supply/1

Are you looking for a power supply and you're on a budget? Corsair's VX550W might be just what you're looking for. We check to see if the quality of Corsair's range continues down to the low end... or are corners cut along the way? Read on to find out.

Old 6th May 2008, 10:02   #2
M4RTIN
Ultramodder

M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
i bought one of these about 2 months ago, and your review backs up just what i thought.. it's a great psu for not much money, and not everyone needs a 1kw monster. oddly tho mine did come with a small bundle of cable ties.
M4RTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 10:36   #3
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice review that

Cheers Fixed

Last edited by kenco_uk; 6th May 2008 at 10:50.
kenco_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 11:04   #4
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Agree with Everything you say - I bought one of these back in December for my new rig, and it's been excellent all round.

I'd recommend it to anyone on a budget, as I was.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 14:07   #5
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great review, thanks. Looking at the noise charts it is weird to see that up to 450W, the VX450 is actually quieter than the VX550
http://www.corsair.com/_images/charts/vx450w_noise.jpg
http://www.corsair.com/_images/charts/vx550w_noise.jpg
Whilst there is not much in it at low loads, from 350-450W the VX450 seems better.

You mentioned that it is a 650W psu in 550W clothing. Did you test it any higher that 550W? I know it would be unfair to compare it to a proper 650W psu but it would be interesting to see how it does.
Old 6th May 2008, 14:40   #6
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice review.

Think there's a mistake in the conclusion though.
Quote:
our model dropped a fraction below 80 percent load under significant
I think you meant efficiency instead of load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 14:45   #7
General Crespin
The Lord of Ruin

General Crespin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I also got one about a month ago and it too came with cable ties. *shrugs*

It's powering my file server in the closet.
General Crespin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 18:32   #8
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
Picked up an HX520 (the modular version of this one) for my new build and I'm well happy with it. A decent PSU can only help to keep your system stable, and a crap PSU will drive you mad trying to find an intermittent issue.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 19:16   #9
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Added two addendums - one to page 1 with more details of the extra box bits and one to page 3 with confirmation that what we received was not a golden sample, just messy soldering.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 17:07   #10
EmJay
Supermodder

EmJay has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yup, sounds about right. I'm very impressed with Corsair's PSUs. I never thought I'd say this, but.... they're even better than Seasonic.