bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 8th May 2008, 14:49   #1
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
We Like to Ride Bicycles

There have been a number of bicycle related threads here recently, so we might as well go for a dedicated thread as quite a few of us are really quite into the subject and can offer pretty good advice.

So, use this for all bike related questions and discussion We could probably create a bunch of useful links (stores, etc?) if people would find it useful...

Old 8th May 2008, 14:58   #2
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How about a cycling tab, much as we have a motors one?
Old 8th May 2008, 17:36   #3
Ramble
Ginger Nut

Ramble has yet to learn the way of the DremelRamble has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nah, change it from motors of vehicles.

Mountain biking, the sport of buying the best most expensive parts and then trying to break them.
Old 8th May 2008, 17:39   #4
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Mountain biking, the sport of buying the best most expensive parts and then trying to break them.
Or: the sport of finding the smoothest paths and then taking some other route.

I made this up after coming down from a hill along what had to be the path with the most and the largest rocks of the whole goddamn hill. The path I followed up was smooth and would have been about twice as fast way of coming back down.
Old 9th May 2008, 01:43   #5
dsjonboy
What's a Dremel?

dsjonboy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good idea for a thread. I think we can see cycling becoming a lot more popular in the next 10 years as roads get more congested and cost of driving is going through the roof.
dsjonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 04:06   #6
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
How about a cycling tab, much as we have a motors one?

if this is the bikes thread, i guess i'll ask my bikes question here: what fork should i buy? my old marzocchi z4 has blown its seals so many times i have given up all hope for it. i don't do a lot of big drops or jumping or anything so it doesn't need to take that much of a beating, but i'm not after something super-lightweigh either. i've been looking at the marzocchi marathon. 100mm of travel would be nice. i can probably spend up to about $600, but i'd rather go about 400.

also, if anybody is in the canmore/banff area this summer, send me a PM and we'll go for a ride. there's some really great trails here.

Last edited by notatoad; 9th May 2008 at 04:12.
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 04:20   #7
Gravemind123

Gravemind123 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Given the rising price of gas in the US(just spent 10% of my paycheck on one tank of gas), you may see many more people interested in bike riding, I know it's time for me to get mine all cleaned up for spring so I can ride it to school.

Dell XPS M1330 - T8300 - 4GB Ram - 8400M GS - 250GB HDD
Gravemind123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 06:57   #8
Malvolio

Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoad View Post
also, if anybody is in the canmore/banff area this summer, send me a PM and we'll go for a ride. there's some really great trails here.
Hey, I didn't know you were down there?! My family goes camping over at Two Jack all the time. Plus I'm thinking of moving down to canmore. Whats it like? How are housing prices doing? How about renting? Anything interesting for like $800? Or should I be more realistic?

As far as biking goes, I just got a new Acid, and will post pics soon!
Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 06:57   #9
Brett89
Ultramodder

Brett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run Crysis
I've got a Peugeot PB16, probably mfg'd in the late 80s, it's pink, and for the time i'd assume light, it's aluminum. I love that thing, leaning into the corners, great fun, but oh the gravel.

Dell M4600 i7-2860QM, 32GB DDR3, Quadro 1000M, 256GB SSD, 1920x1080
Brett89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 07:02   #10
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Perhaps we should have a 'Show us your bike' thread.
Old 9th May 2008, 07:46   #11
Brett89
Ultramodder

Brett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run CrysisBrett89 can run Crysis
I'd post in it, some of them may even be relevant to the thread!

Dell M4600 i7-2860QM, 32GB DDR3, Quadro 1000M, 256GB SSD, 1920x1080
Brett89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 07:52   #12
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfoleo View Post
Hey, I didn't know you were down there?! My family goes camping over at Two Jack all the time. Plus I'm thinking of moving down to canmore. Whats it like? How are housing prices doing? How about renting? Anything interesting for like $800? Or should I be more realistic?

As far as biking goes, I just got a new Acid, and will post pics soon!
housing prices are dropping, but you still aren't going to get anything for less than $650k. you should be able to get a basement suite for around $800 though. the rental market is pretty good.

@jamie - i love the new av.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:19   #13
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoad View Post

if this is the bikes thread, i guess i'll ask my bikes question here: what fork should i buy? my old marzocchi z4 has blown its seals so many times i have given up all hope for it. i don't do a lot of big drops or jumping or anything so it doesn't need to take that much of a beating, but i'm not after something super-lightweigh either. i've been looking at the marzocchi marathon. 100mm of travel would be nice. i can probably spend up to about $600, but i'd rather go about 400.

The low end rockshox stuff is pretty good for the money, they do a few 100mm forks in both air & coil spring models
Old 9th May 2008, 11:08   #14
Fishlock
.o0o.

Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Am I the only BMX rider on here?
Old 9th May 2008, 11:14   #15
heh-
curses.

heh- has yet to learn the way of the Dremelheh- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Has anyone ever ridden a ghost bike before? I am thinking of getting one, but as a newbie rider I'd like to get an opinion before spending that kind of money.
heh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 11:17   #16
will.
A motorbike of jealousy!

will. has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwill. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I used to have a BMX for getting around at uni. I must have looked a numpty. Tall people look silly riding them

Check out my Last.FM & iToggle & Nav-o-Matic jQuery plugins.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 11:37   #17
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by heh- View Post
Has anyone ever ridden a ghost bike before? I am thinking of getting one, but as a newbie rider I'd like to get an opinion before spending that kind of money.
You can't fault that bike on the specs but I'd read some rider opinions before purchasing. A bike could have all the best components but if the geometry is wrong for your size/build then it'll be a horrible ride.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:51   #18
RTT
#parp

Wiggle currently have 20% off all tyres and all hydration packs. Pretty handy since I new tyres and a bigger camelbak!
Old 9th May 2008, 16:27   #19
gar
Ultramodder

gar has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgar has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishlock View Post
& likewise
Am I the only roadie here?

Project: StEaLtH- PLANNING PHASE
gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 16:48   #20
willowthewhite
Multimodder

willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.willowthewhite is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishlock View Post
No I ride BMX, but I do look a little silly as I'm 6' 2", but I'm more at home on a mountain bike though, just wish they didn't break so easily.
willowthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, bicycles, bikes, education, extreme!!!!, fitness, gnar, leisure, love thy stinky, mtb, mud, real men wear lyrca, roady, say no to skimlinks, shavedmanlegs

View Mode