bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 18th Sep 2016, 11:40   #1
Mister_Tad
Modaretor

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
(also rant) Decent and "complete" media centre options?

Let me set the scene. When it comes to listening to music, I have all of my physical media ripped to a share, Spotify and Tidal subscriptions, access to Prime music, a few albums on Google Play and occasionally listen to some live streams. Whist it could be an enormous pain to make use of all of these sources, Sonos realises that not everyone always listens to the same source, so caters for this by aggregating everything into one pot, one place to search, one interface with a consistent look and feel. Super.

In the case of watching things, I again have all of my physical media ripped to a share, Netflix, Prime video, some purchased video on Amazon, some movies and TV shows on Google Play, NFL Gamepass and occasionally find the use for streaming services from Ch4, ITV etc. I can only imagine that I'm the only person on the planet that actually uses more than a few sources for streaming media, because surely someone would have made some magical device or software that does a decent job of aggregating these if not?

I'm looking to address the disjointed approach in the media room if possible (I can live with the limitations of fire sticks elsewhere in the house for now). Currently I use an HTPC for Plex (on account of its ability to play high bitrate video with HD audio tracks), PS4 for Amazon and Netflix, and would do for 4OD or ITV player and the like. For Google Play and Gamepass I'm left with a keyboard and web browser on the HTPC, which is a rubbish experience, and not really child, wife or guest friendly.

I started playing with Kodi thinking that the possibilities are effectively endless on such an open platform, but addons for the likes of Netflix are barely working, let alone slick.

Theoretically, android would be the perfect platform to do all of these things, since I can do all of these on a phone or tablet, but the issue is either the vendor's overlay leave gaps in service coverage, or the device isn't capable of playing high-bitrate video or HD audio.

e.g, the usual suspects: Shield TV - No Amazon, Fire TV - No Google Play, Roku - No HD audio. The list goes on and on. I don't mind doing some device hacking but even then haven't come across an answer to everything. the Shield looks like the most promising base, but it doesn't seem to have many decent options for hacking.

I can't be the only one with this problem - is there something that I'm missing that either fixes everything, or at least does a better job than what I've got at the moment?

Last edited by Mister_Tad; 18th Sep 2016 at 11:47.
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2016, 16:12   #2
Anfield
Ultramodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If Plex / Kodi can't satisfy every need you have then you are out of luck on a unified solution, unfortunately as simple as that.

There are of course ways to do everything you want to do, but the Wife / Kids friendly factor of the equation evaporates almost on the spot as you move past the capabilities of Plex / Kodi.
Old 18th Sep 2016, 17:20   #3
VipersGratitude
Mod Master

VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.

(YMMV with app compatibility btw)
Old 18th Sep 2016, 18:21   #4
Mister_Tad
Modaretor

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm not sure that addresses the issue though - all in one place, but then actually using it becomes difficult - the issue becomes controlling it with a remote, where stock Android and apps kind of suck. There are of course different launchers to help out with the former, but nothing doing for the latter - hence Android TV. But then with Android TV, the available content kind of sucks. Whilst you can sideload the likes of Amazon Video, it's designed for touch.

Last edited by Mister_Tad; 18th Sep 2016 at 18:32.
Old 18th Sep 2016, 19:02   #5
VipersGratitude
Mod Master

VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.VipersGratitude is definitely a rep cheat.
vnc?
Old 18th Sep 2016, 20:10   #6
play_boy_2000
It was funny when I was 12

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I upgraded from a WDTV to a Minix Neo U1, and am loving it so far. I got it bundled with the air mouse, which is doubly handy, as it has a full qwerty keyboard on the back. If you don't get the air mouse, a Bluetooth mouse is a must for dealing with apps that aren't designed with a remote in mind.
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2016, 20:21   #7
BLC
A man has no dremel

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
What about a Roku for video, and a headless RPi with an I2S DAC running something like Volumio? It's not a one-size fits all solution, but at least you wouldn't need a video input for the Pi, Volumio is headless with a web-based interface. The smartphone interface is pretty good. I don't know about HD audio support though, I guess it depends on the format and the DAC you're using (I have a pHAT DAC).

Usually people put their computer specs here. You can ask me if you want to know what mine are.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2016, 04:15   #8
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

Bindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Tad - what do you use on your HTPC for 'ease of use' if not keyboard/mouse? Some sort of remote control with Plex?
Old 19th Sep 2016, 10:45   #9
Mister_Tad
Modaretor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipersGratitude View Post
vnc?
Hmm, I hadn't considered that. I'll put it on the "maybe" pile. It's not perfect, but I do have a disused nexus 7 to donate to the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by play_boy_2000 View Post
I upgraded from a WDTV to a Minix Neo U1, and am loving it so far. I got it bundled with the air mouse, which is doubly handy, as it has a full qwerty keyboard on the back. If you don't get the air mouse, a Bluetooth mouse is a must for dealing with apps that aren't designed with a remote in mind.
Which apps are you using on it? Have you had any issues with content being blocked? (e.g. the Google Play "unable to fetch license" issue)

It's still another remote, which is far from ideal, but it's looking like "ideal" isn't a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
What about a Roku for video, and a headless RPi with an I2S DAC running something like Volumio? It's not a one-size fits all solution, but at least you wouldn't need a video input for the Pi, Volumio is headless with a web-based interface. The smartphone interface is pretty good. I don't know about HD audio support though, I guess it depends on the format and the DAC you're using (I have a pHAT DAC).
I looked at volumio for a little project that I may still do, but the music part of the picture isn't something that needs fixing, as Sonos does a superb job of that and there's already a Connect in the same room.

Roku3 was something under investigation, but no support for the likes of DTS-HD or TrueHD and has the no-touch issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
Tad - what do you use on your HTPC for 'ease of use' if not keyboard/mouse? Some sort of remote control with Plex?
Ah yes, that would be helpful, wouldn't it? I'm using a Harmony ultimate (which runs everything else as well) The HTPC auto-starts Plex so it's always front and centre, no task switching to worry about (unless I want something from Google Play or Gamepass, then it's all sorts of painful). I have a wireless keyboard/trackpad tucked down the side of the sofa for just in case purposes, but the idea to is to never have to use it outside of things like windows update.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 12:48   #10
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

Bindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Tad View Post
Ah yes, that would be helpful, wouldn't it? I'm using a Harmony ultimate (which runs everything else as well) The HTPC auto-starts Plex so it's always front and centre, no task switching to worry about (unless I want something from Google Play or Gamepass, then it's all sorts of painful). I have a wireless keyboard/trackpad tucked down the side of the sofa for just in case purposes, but the idea to is to never have to use it outside of things like windows update.
Aww Plex. Eww. Never got on with it at all. If only VLC had better remote support
Old 19th Sep 2016, 15:30   #11
Mister_Tad
Modaretor

Really? I found the old Plex HT great as a standalone HTPC front end, and the from-anywhere catalogue access and media management great as well. The latest Plex Media Player front end still needs some work, but then it's still officially unfinished, so I'll cut it some slack for now.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 16:53   #12
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.
A wireless mini-keyboard with touchpad in combination with a PC is what I'm using in the living-room.
Trying to find another AIO-solution that works with a remote-control is hopeless.

Cooltek/Jonsbo U1 | Silverstone SX500-LG | Noctua NF-R8 Redux 1200
Gigabyte H97N-WiFi | intel i7-5775C | Noctua NH-D9L | Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L1600 | Crucial MX200 250GB | 2.5" WD AV 1TB
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2016, 17:54   #13
play_boy_2000
It was funny when I was 12

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Tad View Post
Which apps are you using on it? Have you had any issues with content being blocked? (e.g. the Google Play "unable to fetch license" issue)

It's still another remote, which is far from ideal, but it's looking like "ideal" isn't a thing.
It comes with a custom version of XBMC, which I use for media on a SMB share. Other than that, I'm only using YouTube, twitch and occasionally the browser.

It runs Android 5.1 and seems to get regular updates, so I suspect anything that would work (or not) on an android phone will work on the Neo U1.
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2016, 19:35   #14
Anfield
Ultramodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
A wireless mini-keyboard with touchpad in combination with a PC is what I'm using in the living-room.
Trying to find another AIO-solution that works with a remote-control is hopeless.
Indeed, which is why I resort to having a secondary ssd in my Asrock Beebox running Windows 10 and control it with a Logitech K400 Plus, but lets face it, life would be easier if I could just delete windows and throw the keyboard in the trash and do everything through the OpenELEC install on the other ssd and control everything with the Kore remote app.
Old 19th Sep 2016, 23:34   #15
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.
Yes, things could be easier and more user-friendly, but that isn't in the interest of the manufacturers.

I tried to use OpenELEC, I really did, but it's near impossible to get a DVB-S2 card working correctly without the manfucturer supporting Linux-drivers.
And then, you still need a keyboard/mouse-sort of thing for all the web-services that don't provide remote-control-friendly apps.

I've grown comfortable with using the little wireless keyboard/touchpad. It's not that bad really.

Cooltek/Jonsbo U1 | Silverstone SX500-LG | Noctua NF-R8 Redux 1200
Gigabyte H97N-WiFi | intel i7-5775C | Noctua NH-D9L | Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L1600 | Crucial MX200 250GB | 2.5" WD AV 1TB
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2016, 00:05   #16
Mister_Tad
Modaretor

At least I'm not alone thinking that it's crazy that device/platform manufacturers haven't seen the light and let people watch what they want to watch.

On the basis that everything is a bit of a compromise, going to go for a Shield TV, or more likely waiting until a v2 comes out as they're all out of stock, as it seems the least compromised (and also the shiniest). It also talks to harmony, which is nice.

Last edited by Mister_Tad; 20th Sep 2016 at 00:13.

View Mode