bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 8th Aug 2014, 13:30   #1
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Buying a car

Sadly my wee Renault 1.6 Megane went to the great car park in the sky yesterday.

I'm now in the market for a new car and I'm looking for some advice. Can probably drop ~5k on it. I also have to consider my GF who has just passed her test. I probably should consider another banger to get her used to the road.

But then I want a new shiny. Dilemma!

Anyway I'm going to have a look at this C30. *Link expired* See below for pictures.
Crucial 64GB M4 SSD; Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB; Asus P5Q Deluxe P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard; Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache; Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower Case; OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU; 2 x Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4; GeForce 9800 GTX+

Last edited by freshsandwiches; 10th Aug 2014 at 20:36.
freshsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2014, 19:12   #2
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I follow the rule in life that cars should be cheap, something with a FSH can be had for under 1k, and serve many trusty years of motoring. So long as you purchase quality.

So far my 350 Saab, has cost me 400 in parts (Mostly brakes, and various little bits) over the 3 years I've had it.

We've just bought a Seat Leon, which smacks of poor VAG group build quality (Too many plastic engine parts imho) but it's a FSH 52 plate "Golf" that cost me a total of 1100 and its superbly clean for its age.

I say find another banger that the GF feels comfortable driving for now. Worst thing you could do is buy something you truly enjoy only for her to be nervous driving it for fear of wreaking it.
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2014, 19:24   #3
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Do you look for a car to look at or to drive with?

A car is a tool and doesn't need to be shiny.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2014, 20:34   #4
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Do you look for a car to look at or to drive with?

A car is a tool and doesn't need to be shiny.
Yeah, why bother enjoying anything in life. Lets all just go around on honda 50's, wearing the same colour and style clothes and have kitchen tables made of unfinished mdf in homes where everything is tiled the one colour tile, walls, floors the lot.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2014, 21:16   #5
Beasteh
Supermodder

Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.
If you can really afford something newer, and you want it, go for it. You've got insurance should the worst happen. Just don't get too attached - I feel dirty for saying this - it is just a car, you can replace it!

As for the GF, she might not like being in a banger if it breaks down when she's on her own.

Worth bearing in mind that a newer car is also likely to be safer in a collision.
Beasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2014, 21:47   #6
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
if buying from a dealer/garage or a private seller, I can't stress this enough, do a HPI check! Seriously do a HPI check. Just in case I wasn't clear enough do a HPI check

For the sake of a few quid will save a lot of heart ache later if the car turn out to be either stolen, a write off or it has any outstanding finance.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2014, 23:11   #7
AlphaAngel
Hypermodder

AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.
Not sure about the insurance side of things, but something like this is practical, reliable, fairly cheap to run and well under budget. Also it's like a rock in case the worst happens.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

It should be just up the road from you too.

Or just found this close to you

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...24pp?logcode=p

Last edited by AlphaAngel; 8th Aug 2014 at 23:36.
AlphaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2014, 23:45   #8
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
Get a focus. Tons of them out there so pretty affordable, plus parts are readily available. Not silly expensive to run, not too bad to look at, are great fun to drive and are practical to boot.

Down sides are; there's tons of them out there so they don't stand out and might be a bit on the big side for your missus' first car (or maybe not).

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2014, 14:33   #9
bsp
Supermodder

bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bsp is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Something to consider:

1. Do you spent a LOT of time driving? I mean hours at a time - You're gonna want a car with fairly soft suspension if you do. Otherwise an old banger should be fine if you're not driving more than 45 minutes at a time.
2. Do you mainly drive long distances or in town? for town driving.. get a petrol (not to mention it's cheaper) for mainly distance driving it MAY be worth considering a diesel.

Generally as a first car you want something dirt cheap that can take a few accidents at lower speeds (newer cars are generally safer but heavier and a little more thirsty from experience)

I'd personally opt for a cheap petrol engine with a toyota/nissan (with high mileage?) but well maintained.. happy to have to replace it year after year if the car itself is under 500 and just not bother with the MOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
So far my 350 Saab, has cost me 400 in parts (Mostly brakes, and various little bits) over the 3 years I've had it.

We've just bought a Seat Leon, which smacks of poor VAG group build quality (Too many plastic engine parts imho) but it's a FSH 52 plate "Golf" that cost me a total of 1100 and its superbly clean for its age.
Totally a fan of the saabs.. wanted to get one myself but was vetoed

Decent price for the leon! Car just needs to get from A to B and NOT break!

Most of the accidents tend to happen fairly soon after the test so go with that in mind.

Personally looking at getting my Mrs a Yaris when she passes. They can be found for under a grand with FSH and in generally good shape.
bsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2014, 20:12   #10
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasteh View Post
If you can really afford something newer, and you want it, go for it. You've got insurance should the worst happen. Just don't get too attached - I feel dirty for saying this - it is just a car, you can replace it!

As for the GF, she might not like being in a banger if it breaks down when she's on her own.

Worth bearing in mind that a newer car is also likely to be safer in a collision.
I went with the Volvo C30. 1.6L petrol. Only 34000 miles on the clock. Great sample. Top end of my budget but hey!
Crucial 64GB M4 SSD; Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB; Asus P5Q Deluxe P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard; Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache; Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower Case; OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU; 2 x Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4; GeForce 9800 GTX+
Old 10th Aug 2014, 20:14   #11
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

Really liked both of these. Would have liked to have seen the Rav4. BMW would be too big. Thanks for looking for me.
Old 10th Aug 2014, 20:15   #12
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
do a HPI check

Done
Old 10th Aug 2014, 20:16   #13
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instagib View Post
Get a focus.
I've looked at them in the past. Never really fancied them, though your logic is sound. This was a selling point of the C30 for me, there isn't that many around.
Old 10th Aug 2014, 20:18   #14
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
I follow the rule in life that cars should be cheap, something with a FSH can be had for under 1k, and serve many trusty years of motoring. So long as you purchase quality.
I agree, but I wanted to treat myself. Would have loved a Saab, great cars (my Dad has a 93 Aero) but would be too big for GF. If it was just me...

Leon was a good shout too, but my mate has one.

The garage is also refurbishing the alloys, MOTing the car (so 1 year), full valet. They're also going to attempt to sort the minor scratches I pointed out.

I think (touch wood) I got a good deal.
Old 10th Aug 2014, 20:33   #15
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

Some pictures.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg
Old 10th Aug 2014, 21:36   #16
Beasteh
Supermodder

Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.Beasteh is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks nice, although I suspect you dropped a bit more than 5k on it? The C30s I saw recently for that money had double the mileage!

Good rep for safety, which I'm sure the GF will appreciate. Overall a good choice

Oh, and protip: there's a button next to "quote" which allows you to put multiple quotes in one post. Keeps the thread clean.
Beasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2014, 23:40   #17
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

5295. Honest.
Old 10th Aug 2014, 23:44   #18
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

Quote:
Looks nice, although I suspect you dropped a bit more than 5k on it? The C30s I saw recently for that money had double the mileage!
5295 so only a bit more. They do. I could have had a R design with 88k for a similar price. Beautiful car too, mileage too high though.

Quote:
Good rep for safety, which I'm sure the GF will appreciate. Overall a good choice
Thanks, it's reassuring that others think so, hence the thread.

Quote:
Oh, and protip: there's a button next to "quote" which allows you to put multiple quotes in one post. Keeps the thread clean.
I know I was spamming. I had actually typed out a longer reply to you all and lost it all with an accidental refresh. My fault for neglecting the thread, I kinda went out to celebrate!
Old 12th Aug 2014, 19:42   #19
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
Lets all just go around on honda 50's,
You've never had a Honda 50, eh?

Well okay, the 125's are more fun, and half the earth moves on these
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2014, 07:22   #20
MiNiMaL_FuSS
There be Cows.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.
nice buy - what year is it?

View Mode