bit-tech.net

Old 30th Aug 2015, 19:43   #1
silk186
Canadian

silk186 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Buying watches

Getting married and my future mother in law will buy us a pair of watches of our choice. I'm not sure what to buy or where to buy. A friend receipt a good deal on a TAG at bicester village. Not sure what brands are good to buy in the UK :TAG, Longines, Hamilton, Oriental... I've had two seeks watches before that I liked but scratched the lens, a Swiss army that had water damage. I bought my fiance a fossil and it didn't last a year. I want something that will wear well and last year's.
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz :: hyper 212+ :: GA-Z68-UD3H-B3 :: MSI 280x 3GB :: Corsair Vengance 2x4GB:: Samsung 830 256GB :: 2x Toshiba 3TB :: Corsair RM650 :: CM Storm Enforcer :: ASUS VE247H :: LG 42LB5500 :: Microlabs Fc360
silk186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2015, 19:50   #2
MadGinga
Hypermodder

MadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming SaiyanMadGinga is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My Seiko has been nigh-on indestructible. Had it ~10 years and not a single scratch on the glass, the strap is a lightly scuffed and could do with a good clean between the links, but other than that its fine
i5-3750K | be quiet! Shadow Rock Pro | Asus P8Z77-V | Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3-1600 16GB (4 x 4GB) | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB | Corsair TX650M | Cooler Master Elite 335 | Dell U2412M | Win 7 64Bit | Ducky DK2108S Zero Zone Blue LED (Cherry MX Brown) | cr*ppy Dell mouse

Steam: MadGinga | Origin: MadGineer | Star Citizen: MadGinga | Elite: Cmdr MadGinga
MadGinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2015, 20:15   #3
silk186
Canadian

My seiko died after 10 years from a battery change. The O ring wasn't properly set and caught in the mechanism.
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz :: hyper 212+ :: GA-Z68-UD3H-B3 :: MSI 280x 3GB :: Corsair Vengance 2x4GB:: Samsung 830 256GB :: 2x Toshiba 3TB :: Corsair RM650 :: CM Storm Enforcer :: ASUS VE247H :: LG 42LB5500 :: Microlabs Fc360
Old 30th Aug 2015, 20:40   #4
teacherboy
Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

teacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitteacherboy is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Nautica
Citizen
Tissot

3 that spring to mind that do both mens and womens and have a high probability of a matching pair being found that will be acceptable in design and function for all parties involved.
Old 30th Aug 2015, 21:21   #5
silk186
Canadian

We're looking at tissot before. They have some nice affordable options.
Old 30th Aug 2015, 23:45   #6
Jasio
Made in Canada

Jasio has yet to learn the way of the DremelJasio has yet to learn the way of the DremelJasio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
TAG is generally (in the watch world) considered overpriced, using movements found on cheaper/more affordable watches and relying on their name/sponsorship to sell the product at a premium.

Have had various Tissot's and they're great value for money (the Visodate I have is around 35 years old and they still make 'em!). Also a fan of Omega, Hamilton, and Junghans in the sub-1k range. After that, things start to get expensive fast and I think you are going to run into diminishing returns as the movements won't vary as much in reliability afterwards... although I'm sure watch buffs will seek to rebuke that.
[[Asus Rampage III Formula RoG | Intel Core i7 980X @ 4.2 Ghz | Corsair H70 | 12GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill | 2 x MSI 560Ti 1GB Twin Frozer II SLi | Corsair AX750 PSU | 2 x Crucial C300 128GB SSD + 3 x Samsung F1 1TB | Silverstone Fortress FT02B]]
Jasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:12   #7
lp1988
Ultramodder

lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Have been considering a wooden watch from JORD as they are just beautiful, only issue could be the potential for scratching the watch as wood is not nearly as durable as most other materials.

But specialities a side I have always been a fan of Tissot watches.

The watches:https://www.woodwatches.com/shop

NE AUDERIS DELERE ORBEM RIGIDUM MEUM.
lp1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15   #8
BennieboyUK
CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

BennieboyUK is a Super Spamming SaiyanBennieboyUK is a Super Spamming SaiyanBennieboyUK is a Super Spamming SaiyanBennieboyUK is a Super Spamming SaiyanBennieboyUK is a Super Spamming SaiyanBennieboyUK is a Super Spamming SaiyanBennieboyUK is a Super Spamming SaiyanBennieboyUK is a Super Spamming SaiyanBennieboyUK is a Super Spamming SaiyanBennieboyUK is a Super Spamming SaiyanBennieboyUK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have a few of CW's watches, they are little known in the world of brand names, but they make exquisite watches at responsible prices.

I paid 400 for my first CW watch and it looks and feels 4 times that price.

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/
BennieboyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43   #9
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieboyUK View Post
I have a few of CW's watches, they are little known in the world of brand names, but they make exquisite watches at responsible prices.

I paid 400 for my first CW watch and it looks and feels 4 times that price.

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/
+1

Heard great reports about these watches.

Xeon X5660||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||240GB SSD||GTX770||Define R3||X58 forever
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24   #10
Mankz

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Talking about lifespans of watches etc, I wear an over 50 year old one every day and, touch wood, apart from having to have the battery replaced every couple of years I treat it no differently to when I used to have a ~20 Flik-Flak when I was a child..

Don't wear it during sports, or something that could get wet and dirty, and never leave it resting on the face. Not sure how people get through one every few years to be perfectly honest..

Anyway, my vote is a for a classic size/shape Tag.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:24   #11
silk186
Canadian

I've heard of TW but not CW. I was a bit put off by the 2 year warranties being offered. TAG may be a bit overprices but I know I can get them at Bicster Village for half off or more. I'm not sure I like the sporty looks as much though. Some Tissots are very nice as are Longines. I've found the some Oris in my price range but the ones I really liked are not. Some Omega are nice if I can get a good discount. I think my biggest issue will be getting a his and her watch that look similar.

The Swiss army I had, a friend hit it with a drum stick and popped the front off. I too it to get fixed and re-pressurised and it was never the same. The fossil, we were living near Taiwan and it was very humid. Never took it swimming or anything but still accumulated condensation. I know not to take a watch in a hot spring or hot tub but what about in the shower? Should it always be taken off?

I will check a few shops in town today so get a feel of them.

Last edited by silk186; Yesterday at 12:33.
Old Yesterday, 12:27   #12
Mankz

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Ive always taken mine off as a force of habit.. I suppose it different on the age of the watch, and whether its fully water-proof and sealed or just water resistant.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode