bit-tech.net

Old 3rd Mar 2015, 11:23   #1
Craig_T
Minimodder

Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Galaxy S6

So it's been announced now:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/unpacked/

What are peoples thoughts on it? Personally I don't see why they made a standard version and not just the edge. Seems like a money making thing, as they are charging more for the edge... I think I will be getting one on release as my upgrade, as much as it seems a lot extra to pay for the edge I think it's design is so much better.
Craig_T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 11:56   #2
Tomhyde1986
Supermodder

Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm not overly struck on it. It looks nice no doubt about it but I do have a few issue.

1) The removal of micro USB storage is annoying. It's not a deal breaker but I'm used to having it.

2) For me the kicker is the lack of removable battery. It's the reason I went with Samsung when I first got a smart phone (Galaxy S2). When I traveled a lot more than I do now it was a life saver being able to swap batteries at the drop of a hat. Not having that feature means I can pick any other phone on the market as they are all much the same now in terms of performance, design quality and construction materials.

3) Size. For me 5.1 while an improvement over the 5.5 inch monstrosities of late is still just too big. The IPhones 4.7 inches is much for palm and pocket friendly for me.

4) The whole edge thing is a gimmick until proven otherwise as far as I'm concerned.

All in all my next upgrade is probably going to be an IPhone. I've been with Android devices for years and just fancy a change. Sadly the couple of features that kept me coming back to Samsung handsets have been scrapped so I have little to no reason to stay with them.
Tomhyde1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 12:27   #3
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
It also seems quite steep, with pre-order pricing being slightly HIGHER than the iPhone6 and iPhone 6+ (in the case of the edge).
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 12:40   #4
Isitari
Multimodder

Isitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
The lack of changeable battery and SD card is a bit of a killer as unless you buy a 1+1 the ridiculous premium for extra storage is extortionate. We'll see what way the Note series go from now.
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 12:55   #5
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice phone, but too bloody expensive.
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 13:06   #6
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
with the ZTE S6 blade being 169 on amazon , makes this look stupidly expensive
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 13:14   #7
alf-
Multimodder

alf- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Based on the design you would think Jonathan Ives had defected to Samsung.

*edit* On second thoughts, it actually looks like a love child between the iphone 6 and the Xperia z3.

Last edited by alf-; 3rd Mar 2015 at 14:00.
alf- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 13:21   #8
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
The HTC One still looks nicer, but it is good to see Samsung drop the plastic fantastic look, finally. Unfortunately it's priced too high, the iPhones are expensive because it's Apple, But Samsung has always been the opposite and priced well, think they've missed a beat with this.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 13:46   #9
crazyg1zm0
I *am* a Dremel

crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.crazyg1zm0 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Not too pleased with a lack of removable battery and expandable memory.

In the past have used samsungs for those 2 reasons mainly but now, I wont even bother changing I think.
Intel i7 2600k | Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced | ASUS P8P67 pro | Patriot 1600 6GB | XFX 6870 Twin fan | corsair 650W | OCZ Vertex II 30gb | Samsung SP 1TB, Samsung 1.5TB, Samsung 500GB | Lian Li V-1000 | 2x23" screens
crazyg1zm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 13:52   #10
wolfticket
Downwind from the bloodhounds

wolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyanwolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyanwolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyanwolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyanwolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyanwolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyanwolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyanwolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyanwolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyanwolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyanwolfticket is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My main gripe is that they've bowed down to the "metal = quality" lobby.

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
Dorothy L. Sayers (1893 - 1957)
wolfticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 14:40   #11
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I definitely won't be replacing my S5 with the new S6.
Despite the 'upgrade' to a metal body, like some others I much prefer the ability to swap out the MicroSD and the battery over a uniform bodied phone.
The screen curving around the sides looks somewhat idiotic in my eyes, I can see absolutely no benefit to having a tiny portion of the screen hanging over the edges.

The fact that they've done a complete reverse on the water & dust proofing that they did with the S5 seems completely bizarre.

I do however like that the moved the position of the heart rate monitor, as I don't like where it is on the S5 and as I ofen hold my phone in landscape position when using it having it closer to an edge where my fingers would be seems to make more sense.

If I upgrade again this year, I'm likely to either switch to the new HTC or go for a new brand from abroad.
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 15:16   #12
Craig_T
Minimodder

Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Craig_T is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's a good point on the battery, one thing I hate about my iPhone is the poor battery and as you say having a spare would make things so much easier. I have an iPhone 5 now, but it is just slow and buggy in my eyes. I have heard the iPhone 6 is a lot smoother running, maybe I will just hold out for a while until both are out to compare...
Craig_T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:04   #13
panda_uk
What's a Dremel?

panda_uk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its amazing the price of this. I'm running my phone into the ground before I upgrade. I think people think upgrading will bring them happiness.
panda_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:07   #14
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm utterly unenthused by flagship phones, not least because of the absurd entry fees.

I also have a Surface Pro 2, even though I'm not a pro...
Shirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:09   #15
silk186
Canadian

silk186 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's a nice phone but i'm not paying the extra to get the 128GB model when i can buy another phone with 32GB internal and add an microSD card. I was also dissapointed by the lack of usb3.0 and don't care either way about a removable battery as I have never changed the battery in my s4.
silk186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:15   #16
Isitari
Multimodder

Isitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Still on my Note 2. I've changed the battery, upgraded the SD card, changed the screen (cause lol I broke it) and biggest thing flashed a custom ROM in the form of liquidsmooth (a branch of CyanogenMod). There are already lollipop builds out there for the note 2 will flash that when I feel the need. The new OS if anything made it feel like a new phone, can't see me bothering to upgrade for a while as even 'old' phones are still Damn fast now.

View Mode