bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 20th May 2008, 02:43   #61
Mathmarauder
Supermodder

Mathmarauder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Here's an actual question pertaining to bikes. I bought a really nice Trek in about 7th grade(now almost 21) then they sized me up and gave me a size 18 bike. I have grown considerably does anyone have a chart for height to bike size?
Mathmarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 08:50   #62
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Some 18" frames will be ok for people under 6'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
How much are a decent pair of road wheels, and how easy is it to whack a pair on and off?
They are mountain bike wheels with 1.6" continental sport contanct mountain bike road tyres.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:12   #63
Ramble
Ginger Nut

Ramble has yet to learn the way of the DremelRamble has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
How much are a decent pair of road wheels, and how easy is it to whack a pair on and off?
Some Michelin Pro 2's will set you back £20 each for the tyre itself, you need some inner tubes too.
Also depends what rims you have, provided they're 650c to 700c they'll fit.
Old 20th May 2008, 13:17   #64
Toka
Fully Outer Joined

Toka has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post
& likewise
Am I the only roadie here?
nopers

All though Im possibly the only roadie with such awesome saddle sore
Toka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 22:08   #65
dragontail
5bet Bluffer

dragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
My bike in road mode... slicks are the best.
One of my mates replaced the tyres on his Scott MTB with a either a pair of thinner semi-hybrid or cyclocross ones (I'm not sure which), sorta like you did. Can I ask how does it compare to a complete hybrid bike with hybrid tyres?
Old 20th May 2008, 22:48   #66
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontail View Post
One of my mates replaced the tyres on his Scott MTB with a either a pair of thinner semi-hybrid or cyclocross ones (I'm not sure which), sorta like you did. Can I ask how does it compare to a complete hybrid bike with hybrid tyres?
I've never ridden a hybrid, but a good mountain bike will have a much shorter frame than one designed for lengthy rides on smooth surfaces. The riding position on my bike isn't good for going fast, it is far too upright and the handle bars are quite wide.

Despite that, I only do short journeys to and from work so it's not much of an issue.
Old 21st May 2008, 10:37   #67
Major

Are these bikes any good?

Marin Novato

Scott Sportster P1 and P2
Old 21st May 2008, 11:22   #68
Ramble
Ginger Nut

Ramble has yet to learn the way of the DremelRamble has yet to learn the way of the Dremel

Cost £10 second hand, new brakes and levers, some (pretty fat) road slicks and lights + computer. That's all that's new. I ride it 21 miles everyday, and although it can be hard up hill sometimes - being steel framed it's not a brilliant roadbike - it's barely given me any touble.
Odd handlebars because they're upside down, makes me reach more when riding - that's the best attempt at dropbars I can do.
Old 21st May 2008, 12:15   #69
Major

Considering you ride 21 miles a day, surely you should invest in a more expensive bike.
Old 21st May 2008, 12:21   #70
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Are these bikes any good?

Marin Novato

Scott Sportster P1 and P2
Yeah, they're fine, the Scotts especially.
Old 21st May 2008, 14:17   #71
Malvolio

Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
@Ramble: the only thing you're doing with those "drop-bars" is destroying your wrists. Handlebars are designed with a sweep-back for a reason, so that your wrists can sit at a comfortable angle. Plus it doesn't help that your brake levers are perfectly horizontal; which again is one of the worst things you could do to your wrists.
Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 15:27   #72
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT View Post
Yeah, they're fine, the Scotts especially.
Could you suggest one of the best bikes around the £700 mark? (hardtail), I don't really have any idea of bikes around that price. I did suggest the GT Avalanche Expert or Zaskar.

For my brother btw.

Last edited by Major; 21st May 2008 at 15:34.
Old 21st May 2008, 17:49   #73
Ramble
Ginger Nut

Quote:
Considering you ride 21 miles a day, surely you should invest in a more expensive bike.
No, I can't afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfoleo View Post
@Ramble: the only thing you're doing with those "drop-bars" is destroying your wrists. Handlebars are designed with a sweep-back for a reason, so that your wrists can sit at a comfortable angle. Plus it doesn't help that your brake levers are perfectly horizontal; which again is one of the worst things you could do to your wrists.
Quite, however I find these a lot more comfortable than my previous configuration.
Old 21st May 2008, 18:36   #74
Tomm
I also ride trials :¬)

Tomm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking at that picture, the bars actually look to be at a fairly healthy angle - slightly swept back and slightly tilted up. I'd imagine they are terrible the 'right' way up. To be fair, it's a pretty basic bike and you're never going to get a great riding position. If it works for, stick with it I reckon.

But if you're just doing road miles, get some slick tyres. You'll thank me later. If there's a Decathlon near you, you can get some cheap tyres for a fiver which is all you really need.
Old 21st May 2008, 21:52   #75
will.
A motorbike of jealousy!

will. has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwill. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can anyone suggest a decent pair of freeride shoes with SPD's?

I just went into my bike shop today after one of my Cannondale shoes decided to literally tear themselves in half and everything in there seemed to be made of plastic! I just want something that isn't too horrible to actually walk in. I also unclip for the really steep bits (I have a pair of those half'n'half pedals with platform and clip) so I need a shoe that actually has enough support to use as if it was a normal pedal.

Check out my Last.FM & iToggle & Nav-o-Matic jQuery plugins.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 22:04   #76
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by will. View Post
I also unclip for the really steep bits
You big girl

Shimano MP66s are pretty popular I'd get those if i was after a non racing style shoe.

I think I might buy a Commençal Meta 5.5.1
Old 21st May 2008, 22:36   #77
Clocked
Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

Clocked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
my bike tried to eat me today

Was trying to hop over a small wall (a foot and a half maybe) when I clipped it with the back wheel and lost my footing on the pedal, It swung round and hit my shin a clinker leaving a couple o nice wee holes...

needless to say bystanders were laughing, as was I... I also have a pic of my chin burst open from goin over the handlebars last year but I'll save that for another time...

XBL ID: Cl0cked; Game I iz playin are Halo:Reach
Clocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 23:01   #78
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
What's always as pleasant.. Though it MAY hurt even more when all the spikes of the pedal sink into your calf. Those spikes are real nice as long as they stay under the shoe, but they just don't get along with bodyparts
Old 21st May 2008, 23:10   #79
Clocked
Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

Clocked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
lol thats what did the holey-ness on the shin... the culprit is below...

XBL ID: Cl0cked; Game I iz playin are Halo:Reach
Clocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 23:17   #80
will.
A motorbike of jealousy!

will. has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwill. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT View Post
You big girl
Tis nothing to do with fear! I need my feet free to pull phat stylin!

Or whatever...

Check out my Last.FM & iToggle & Nav-o-Matic jQuery plugins.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, bicycles, bikes, education, extreme!!!!, fitness, gnar, leisure, love thy stinky, mtb, mud, real men wear lyrca, roady, say no to skimlinks

View Mode