bit-tech.net

Old 13th May 2008, 01:20   #1
OleJ
Me!

OleJ has yet to learn the way of the DremelOleJ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[05/08] A Flying Start

Okay so I finally made my choice. This one may be a bit soft when viewed large but the motion is smack on so it's my "chosen one".

Supersize Me

EOS 350D, 1/200, f/8, On-body flash, Nifty Fifty lens.

Last edited by OleJ; 22nd May 2008 at 22:25.
OleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 01:46   #2
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
OleJ, the idea is great, composition ok, but the whole thing is too soft and out of focus.

I think you should do it again, it's not up to your usual high standard.

PS it shows that it's the onboard flash, too direct and bright, some sort of lighting from the side would be better.
Old 13th May 2008, 02:10   #3
OleJ
Me!

OleJ has yet to learn the way of the DremelOleJ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodasarmpit View Post
OleJ, the idea is great, composition ok, but the whole thing is too soft and out of focus.

I think you should do it again, it's not up to your usual high standard.

PS it shows that it's the onboard flash, too direct and bright, some sort of lighting from the side would be better.
Thanks yoda. I concur. Those were my exact thoughts about it too.
I only have the onboard flash unfortunately so it'll have to stay at that.
Oh yeah and "composing" the cloud is a royal pain in the a** It's a question of luck mostly

I took a few other shots tonight that might be better.

How about this one:
-CUT-

or this one:
-CUT-

Cropping should be able to lift composition a bit on the two above.

Last edited by OleJ; 22nd May 2008 at 22:14.
Old 13th May 2008, 02:47   #4
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
Both of those are nicer, especially the first of the second batch.
Old 14th May 2008, 00:17   #5
OleJ
Me!

Went out shooting again tonight. With the onboard flash I can't go below 1/200
Will a real flash allow this?

Anyways I got this out of it tonight:
-CUT-

And I realised that perhaps I very much liked this one from last night:
-CUT-

Which one should I choose? Or should I destroy my economy and buy a flash...

Last edited by OleJ; 22nd May 2008 at 22:15.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:49   #6
Tomm
I also ride trials :Č)

Tomm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love the new one that you've put up. Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleJ View Post
Went out shooting again tonight. With the onboard flash I can't go below 1/200
Will a real flash allow this?
Not really, that's dependent on the camera. However, some flashes have a fast sync mode which fires a strobe kind of effect and that will work up to 1/4000th ish depending on the model (I think I'm thinking of the Sigma EX DG Super or whatever it's called).

There are various bodges to increase the sync speed though - depending on what camera you use (read strobist for more details).
Old 14th May 2008, 13:23   #7
OleJ
Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
I love the new one that you've put up. Great idea
Thanks! Though I've posted so many by now that I have no idea which one you refer to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
(read strobist for more details).
I'm an utter noob at flash and night photography. It's absolutely not one of my forces so any precise guidance is much appreciated. I'll have a look around at strobist.com(?) and see if there are some answers but I can't be bothered reading endless hours of a site to find out if there might be an answer to my query whether buying a $500 (ú300) flash will aid me in shooting this specific composition.

I guess I'll ask in my local photography shop and cross my fingers they are more honest than most sales assistants I would be able to squeeze my economy to afford a flash and I guess this could be my excuse
Old 14th May 2008, 16:01   #8
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Buying a separate flash unit will allow you more control over the lighting, but i won't necessarily let you shoot at a higher shutter speed. Your camera manual will tell you the maximum shutter speed at which your camera will sync.

There is another way, though. If you get the shot all set up, and you figure out your lighting and timing, then you can turn off all the lights, blow the flower, then fire the flash.

The flash is darn near instantaneous, and it's fast enough to stop just about anything.

I really like the idea, but I prefer the compositions in which the seeds are being blown from left to right. Since I fall into that "Western European descent" category, left-to-right movement feels much more natural for me. Most people begin on the left edge of a picture, and then move throughout.

Keep up the good work!

-monkey
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 17:45   #9
OleJ
Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey View Post
There is another way, though. If you get the shot all set up, and you figure out your lighting and timing, then you can turn off all the lights, blow the flower, then fire the flash.

The flash is darn near instantaneous, and it's fast enough to stop just about anything.
Thanks for the input.
Thing is I'm shooting this around midnight and all the lights are indeed off (it's outside in the darkness). The only thing illuminating in these shots is the onboard flash and still you can see in some of the shots that there is motion blur... I don't understand it to be honest. So if the flash is shorter than 1/200 second then thats how much light/exposure these shots have.

Quote:
Keep up the good work!
Thank you I shall try. Even though I prefer to call it fun or hobby rather than work. Don't want to spoil the fun in it. I found out last year that it's a delicate balance.

Quote:
left-to-right movement feels much more natural for me
I know what you mean. Let me just take them into PS and return to you No actually I shot them this way because I wanted the weight of the dandelion to balance down on the right side but while looking at thm later on I have actually considered mirroring them. Hmmm.... know what, I think I'll mirror them and see how that feels. If it sticks then I'll post them.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 14th May 2008, 17:54   #10
CraZy
C÷stom ˙ser tŠtel

CraZy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Thanks! Though I've posted so many by now that I have no idea which one you refer to?

I'm an utter noob at flash and night photography. It's absolutely not one of my forces so any precise guidance is much appreciated. I'll have a look around at strobist.com(?) and see if there are some answers but I can't be bothered reading endless hours of a site to find out if there might be an answer to my query whether buying a $500 (ú300) flash will aid me in shooting this specific composition.

I guess I'll ask in my local photography shop and cross my fingers they are more honest than most sales assistants I would be able to squeeze my economy to afford a flash and I guess this could be my excuse
I think I'm gona go a head and recomend the Vivitar 285HV
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uto_Flash.html
It does what it is suposed to do, and it's only 90$ ..built like a tank too
My friend has 2 of those and uses them as off camera flashes, you can see some examples here .
They can also be modifed
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobis...57602332453109

*edit* oh and cool idea for a photo =)
Old 14th May 2008, 21:41   #11
OleJ
Me!

Thank you Alli
I'm not sure I understand how the vivitar works but the price sure is compelling. Otherwise I was looking at canons Speedlite 580EXII based on remembering people recommending this.

I very much appreciate that you say my idea is cool but at the same time it makes me a bit sad that the picture itself doesn't match it . Or at least that's how I interpret it (Please let me know if that's the wrong way to read it )
Old 15th May 2008, 17:46   #12
CraZy
C÷stom ˙ser tŠtel

CraZy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Thank you Alli
I'm not sure I understand how the vivitar works but the price sure is compelling. Otherwise I was looking at canons Speedlite 580EXII based on remembering people recommending this.

I very much appreciate that you say my idea is cool but at the same time it makes me a bit sad that the picture itself doesn't match it . Or at least that's how I interpret it (Please let me know if that's the wrong way to read it )
haha no no your pictures are fine Ole, I was just saying I like the idea And I particularly like the photo you denominated,
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2148/...7496838d_m.jpg
Old 15th May 2008, 19:10   #13
OleJ
Me!

Hehe okay thanks I really like the denominated one as well but only when it's that tiny so it's not clear that it is unsharp. The movement and composition rocks though
Old 22nd May 2008, 22:17   #14
OleJ
Me!

Update

Made up my mind. 1st pick was the one I decided upon. Thanks for the help choosing.

To see the ones I cut just click to my flickr.

Cheers

Edit: OK I had to change one thing. I mirrored it so movement is right->left.

Last edited by OleJ; 22nd May 2008 at 22:26.
Old 23rd May 2008, 04:53   #15
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I really like the one you've settled on. It's a great shot (you've pretty much nailed the composition), and fits the theme really well. Bravo!

-monkey
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2008, 16:48   #16
3dHeli
Multimodder

3dHeli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Too soft for me too, but idea and composition is great. I want more freeze and sharpness. I want to see the detail, the movement doesn't need to be shown for me, as it's already suggested by the subject and composition, and is the less interesting aspect anyways.

But good job . . . just think idea can offer more reward.
3dHeli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
potm