bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th May 2008, 13:11   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
OpenSSL flaw in Debian Linux discovered

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05...x-discovered/1

The team behind the Debian Linux project have discovered a flaw in their implementation of the OpenSSL cryptography package that has been in place since 2006.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 13:18   #2
Tomm
I also ride trials :)

Tomm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You mean Linux isn't a perfect OS sent from God?
Old 14th May 2008, 13:23   #3
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm
You mean Linux isn't a perfect OS sent from God?
hahaha. My dreams have come true, the day something wrong comes to linux, no matter how small it was.... Sorry, all childish now.

At least in the light of this, its been sorted out relativley quickly, which is a good sign for any OS.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 13:25   #4
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Seen this yesterday, meant to redo my keys last night (forgot) if any one is bored my system is wide open...
Old 14th May 2008, 13:26   #5
Kode
Supermodder

Kode has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
johnny come latelys? Debian has been running longer than redhat, redhat was initially released in 95, debian in 93, also the good thing about open source is these problems get picked up and fixed, rather than microsofts approach that seems to be pretend they arent there
Kode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 13:27   #6
Tomm
I also ride trials :)

Tomm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Clearly it's not perfect, nothing in this world is. It's therefore not a surprise that there's a small bug in one small part of Linux. It was, after all, created by humans. My point was the opposite really - we shouldn't be surprised by this news and I'm certainly not pointing and laughing.

Maybe I was too sarcastic (is there such a thing as too sarcastic?).
Old 14th May 2008, 13:46   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
johnny come latelys? Debian has been running longer than redhat, redhat was initially released in 95, debian in 93,
I sit corrected. Article updated.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 14:06   #8
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
you know in the simpsons when that bully dude goes 'haaha'. that's what i think! however, having said that, well done linux teams for getting onto it quickly. that is commendable
Old 14th May 2008, 14:46   #9
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
for 1 bug in linux article on bit-tech we have 500 windows bugs articles
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 14:58   #10
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nothing is perfect but atleast linux is more perfect than windows.

btw, slackware strawberry Cheesecake
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 15:10   #11
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
at least it is patched faster than in windows.....
Old 14th May 2008, 16:32   #12
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
And the flaw isn't that big... Just a random number that could be predictable... And I could win the lottery...

This bug is also already fixed, so it' a non-issue. I don't have the time to redo my keys right now, so al hackers, go ahead
Old 14th May 2008, 19:23   #13
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
as much as I dislike the typical "smug linux user", no reason for me to point and laugh.. Linux has its own problems and quirks just like any OS out there... no big deal.. The good thing from this story is that they plugged the hole.. Kind of stinks that it's Debian..as Ubuntu is hugely popular.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 19:50   #14
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, it doesn't stink at all... If you read the various Linux mailing lists, you will see security notices popping up often. But the good thing about this is that those flaws are usually fixed within days.
Old 14th May 2008, 21:02   #15
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.
Exactly. This bug was squished almost immediately.
If it was a Windows bug, it wouldn't have been patched until the first Tuesday of NEXT month at the earliest!
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 02:14   #16
WhiskeyAlpha
Hypermodder

WhiskeyAlpha has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Being the stinking linux noob that I am, what do I need to do to "rebuild my keys"?

I just updated my ubuntu fileserver (ala Glider's superb server guide) to 8.04LTS and it fired up a warning message telling me about the security hole. Not sure if it sorts it automatically or whether I need to flex my typing skills on the command line
Intel i7 950 @ 4Ghz | ASUS Sabertooth X58| 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz | Nvidia GTX 570 @ 875/1750/4200Mhz | 64GB Crucial SSD / 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD | Corsair HX 850W | Dell 2007WFP | Tannoy Reveal Active 5A | Beresford MK6 DAC
Customised Mountain Mods U2-UFO | ThermoChill PA120.1, PA120.2 & PA120.3 | EK Supreme | EK-FC570 GTX | EK Spinner Bay Res | Laing DDC x2
WhiskeyAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 02:47   #17
cebla
Multimodder

cebla has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If the article is correct then this bug was introduced in 2006. That means its been there for two years. I am not sure why some of you think this was fixed so much more quickly than bugs in Windows.
cebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 05:55   #18
Glider
/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyAlpha View Post
Being the stinking linux noob that I am, what do I need to do to "rebuild my keys"?

I just updated my ubuntu fileserver (ala Glider's superb server guide) to 8.04LTS and it fired up a warning message telling me about the security hole. Not sure if it sorts it automatically or whether I need to flex my typing skills on the command line
If you are using a key based authentication (like in passwordless SSH) then you need to update the keys generated by a Debian machine manually.
Old 15th May 2008, 10:03   #19
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebla View Post
If the article is correct then this bug was introduced in 2006. That means its been there for two years. I am not sure why some of you think this was fixed so much more quickly than bugs in Windows.
Because as soon as it was caught it was fixed, wouldn't be the first time a large whole has been found in windows after a few years and it still takes at least a month for the fix.
Old 15th May 2008, 19:23   #20
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Well, it doesn't stink at all... If you read the various Linux mailing lists, you will see security notices popping up often. But the good thing about this is that those flaws are usually fixed within days.
uh... perhaps I missed your point.. but my point was that, as Ubuntu is massively popular (especially with newbies like myself), you'll get a larger amount of people with this flaw unpatched in their system (as opposed to say people that run a distro that isn't as popular).. which is too bad.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote