bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th May 2008, 09:07   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Seagate crypto gets Gov. approval

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05...gov-approval/1

The AES encryption implementation in Seagate's Momentus FD.2 range of laptop drives has been granted the US Government's most stringent security certification.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 10:03   #2
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
For the home user that souinds mostly like a gimmick.. I want some, please >.>

Any word on prices to use non-government types?
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 10:25   #3
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
This will not help one bit. I work for governments now and then, and there are USB-sticks and open network drives EVERYWHERE. (no, not on my hardware, tyvm).

This is not a hardware problem, it's a mentality problem. That means hardware could never solve it.
Old 16th May 2008, 11:39   #4
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh
This will not help one bit. I work for governments now and then, and there are USB-sticks and open network drives EVERYWHERE. (no, not on my hardware, tyvm).

This is not a hardware problem, it's a mentality problem. That means hardware could never solve it.
It's the same in a number of the customers for a company I work for. I mean, people that deal with financial advice, and other personal things (The other day I was working on a PC, and there was quite a number of doccuments marked confidential just left open on the desk), leave things all over the place for all to see, and we've (The company I work for) never been asked to sign a confidentiality agreement, or anything of the sort. It's really quite scary, the fact we trust (At least, sort of) these people to keep this stuff private and confidanetial, but anyone with eyes in their head could go and see it?
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 14:55   #5
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So how does this function from a user perspective? Surely it just requires a password at boot, in which case a clever somebody could rig up some sort of hardware-level keylogger and bypass the encryption entirely, right?
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 18:31   #6
knyghtryda
Multimodder

knyghtryda has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehed
So how does this function from a user perspective? Surely it just requires a password at boot, in which case a clever somebody could rig up some sort of hardware-level keylogger and bypass the encryption entirely, right?
If someone can get physical access AND rig up a hardware keylogger AND return and take the drive the you have a much bigger problem on your hands than just encryption. Security is only as good as the weakest link, and if you're weakest link is a box that anyone can walk up to and tinker with the hardware... well... thats like a locked bank vault with no guards and no security cameras.
Old 16th May 2008, 19:16   #7
Max Spain
Minimodder

Max Spain has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
These drives are not designed for the security of the owner. Drive Trust is Trusted Computing for hard drives. In other words, the security isn't for the user's sake.
Quote:
ISVs and other developers can write applications and have them assigned to a secure partition in the drive through the issuance protocol.
That quote was taken from here. I sure do miss the time when computer hardware was designed solely for the benefit of the end user
Max Spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 21:51   #8
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if the password is entered to many times and fails the disk 000000 it self (i asume it most likey go for the private keys first)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote