1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News XP SP3 breaks WHS RDP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

It completely broke my media center too. Refused to use the tuner cards and caused loads of error messages. I'm glad I took a disk image before I installed it. It works fine on my PC at work though.

3. xalek

xalek What's a Dremel?

Broke my XP Media Center too! TV tuners just stoped working and didn't want to be re-setup. Works fine with my XP Pro mind you.

4. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Installed it on my laptop, only lasted 3 days as it broke S3 standby. Haven't tried it on the desktop yet.

5. Panos

Panos Minimodder

I don't have any issue with my Media Center. Oops I forgot. I use Mythbuntu there :)

Seriously I installed the SP3 on all the computers at work (65) and not any issue so far.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Interesting... this is probably going to screw up some people at work if/when we upgrade - we use browser-based VMWare Server frequently. Though it probably has its own custom VMWare ActiveX/FF extension so maybe it would be fine.

7. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

SP3 has caused our custom security video monitoring application to perform extremely poorly when using Enhanced MPEG4 mode. EMPEG4 mode is basicly a Divx-like codec we use for compression of the video streams. We're currently attempting to isolate exactly what changed between SP2 and SP3 to cause this since all of our SP2/SP2C machines are fine, but the machines with SP3 have choppy live and recorded video, and tons of lost frames according to videoscope. SP3 is looking to be a loss for us at this point :( :waah:

8. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

sp3 screwed over my home machine, stopped all miscorsoft programs from accessing the net, like ie and msn despite the fact that firefox was fine with it so the network was working....it caused firefox to crash 4 times in 15 mins, which preeviously is more than the last 12 months put together and sp3 just made explorer as a whole totally unstable, accessing my computer or any folder took an age, and thats if it didnt crash windows explorer in the process, sticking with sp2 until go vista now i think.

peace

fatman

9. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Its a conspiracy to make us see vista as a reasonable upgrade :p

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I reformatted my wife's computer the other day, installed Windows and then did the SP3 update. For some reason, SP3 changed one of the .dll files associated with Windows Update, and caused the file to become unregistered. I only noticed it because Windows wouldn't install any more updates. They all downloaded just fine, but they all failed to install. Also, the update history didn't show any of the failed updates.

After some searching around, I finally found the solution, re-registered the .dll file, and now the rest of the updates install just fine.

I guess it might have been a fluke, but it seems strange to me that a Windows update would break the Windows Update service.

-monkey

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Installed it the day it was released (the day they pulled it as well) and have noticed not one jot of difference, good or bad. Meh.

12. Mr_Sinister

Mr_Sinister Not Evil, just Bad

i installed it just 2 days ago and so far (fingers crossed) no problems (yet)

13. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

No problems here, had it for around a week.

14. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

My boot times have improved (I think) and i've not had any problems, but then again my servers are all SSH and I use a real web browser.

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I installed it form the link, some one posted on the forum. I had the exact same experience, but then i'm running pro, could that be the difference?

16. Major

Major Guest

Someone on a forums I know installed it, he had to format his PC for some reason.

17. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

ive had no issues, im going to be making a new slipstreamed disk soon.

18. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i installed it on my server running xp pro... no problems at all.

19. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

no problems yet no differences for me

20. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

If it`s true that the next version of windows will be 45 MB (without drivers of course) and made from scratch (not based on win 3.11), AND doesn`t have issues which could have been easily avoided or caused by outdated backwards compatibility, i might consider paying for it for a change!!11

Tags: Add Tags