bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th May 2008, 10:06   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
EXCLUSIVE: Cyberlink to launch new TrueTheatre tech

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05...theatre-tech/1

If you're a PowerDVD fan, you'll want to know about the new TrueTheatre technologies, which include video upscaling, noise reduction, image stabilisation and more!

Old 30th May 2008, 11:58   #2
Joeymac
Multimodder

Joeymac has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
With 'AnyDVD HD', Media Player Classic - 'Home Cinema Edition' and ffdshow, plus a load of filter tweaking, you can play anything.
PowerDVD is bloaty and crap, always has been. I made the mistake of buying it and it didn't do what it was supposed to. They can add all the faux upscaling addons they want, I won't be buying it again.
MPC offloads decoding to the GPU, is less than 6MB and can output via Vista's EVR... why do I need to pay for something?
Joeymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 12:04   #3
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Personally, we wish the graphics vendors would work with Cyberlink to make such technologies work directly with the DX 2.0 video overlay and give them access to the GPU functions rather than relying on an unspecific CPU to munch away at very repetitive and highly parallel workloads.
Surely Cyberlink could implement this through CUDA?
Old 30th May 2008, 13:16   #4
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Has a retail box like that for powerDVD ever actually existed?

I'm long since past the point where I'm even the vaguest bit taken by Latest Buzzword Here Video Processing Technology. Has anyone here ever had a DVD player, VCR or TV on which any of the picture processing - denoiser, whatever - didn't turn things into a hideous blurry mess? And frame rate interpolation? People all over the planet are busting their backsides to shoot stuff in 24-frame-per-second video modes to make it look more dramatic, and you want to interp it up to 60 or whatever? I've seen this done and it makes nicely-shot, well-budgeted TV drama look like an Aussie soap. It's a complete raping of the director's intent.

The reason TV pictures look like crap is simple - compression. I cut HD video uncompressed; that's 1600 megabits per second. Even the current BBC HD demos are only 20, and that's vastly more than any "real" service uses. Standard def DVB as seen in the UK is usually 3 to 5 megabit MPEG-2. I'v worked on channels which proposed two and a half. You do the math. DVDs ten to look OK because they can "afford" better bitrates but even then the compression isn't often that carefully done.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 14:04   #5
TreeDude
Supermodder

TreeDude has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Some of the latest 120hz TVs are coming with a 5:5 pull down option. This means you can play a Blue Ray DVD in 1080p24 mode, and still take advantage of the 120hz refresh rate, without the soap opera look. So if you are in the market for a new HDTV that is a good feature to look for.

The latest drivers from ATI (Catalyst 8.5) also set up their HDTV mode support. So those of you with home theater PCs with ATI hardware should do a driver update.
TreeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 18:19   #6
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
huh did they work on the audio issue about the audio being downgraded when watching a Blu-ray or HD-dvd? or has this been corrected for some time now?
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 01:19   #7
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well at least these featured aren't forced onto the user allowing us to experiment with them all. You can turn and off whichever you like and save some performance at the same time.
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 12:05   #8
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HourBeforeDawn View Post
huh did they work on the audio issue about the audio being downgraded when watching a Blu-ray or HD-dvd? or has this been corrected for some time now?
Nope not yet, but Asus has a product which will get round it
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote