bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:04   #1
profqwerty
Ultramodder

profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Mouldy jam

So I made some crumpets this morning for the first time in ages, and the strawberry jam had mould on the top. It's had it before, but never in this quantity. Being short on time + hungry, I took out as much as I could with a spoon and used the jam anyway.

Around mid morning I started feeling ill, sort of cold/flu symptoms, but too much but definitely there. I may have gotten this before hand as I think my brother had a cold when he was at home over the weekend.

Does anyone know if the mould on jam is actually toxic in any way shape or form??

My old acrylic one
profqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:06   #2
kingred
Surfacing sucks!

kingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
LOL.
kingred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:17   #3
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Some mould that grows on food is inert and some contain mycotoxins which will make you ill. I don't believe there is a way outside of a lab to tell what type is growing on your jam as it's dependent on too many environmental factors.

What I will say is, if you're into eating mouldy food, avoid eating nuts.

If you're worried and the symptoms persist, consult your GP. A sample of jam may be useful.
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:20   #4
Dave Penguin
O hai.

Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Dave Penguin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver51 View Post
A sample of jam may be useful.
"Now, what seems to be the matter?"

"I'm not feeling very well"

"Oh, well there's nothing I can do for you. Sorry."

"Not even with some lovely Jam??"

"Ah now that's a different matter! Jam changes everything! Let's get cracking... Trousers Down please!"

(Why is it every doctor in my imagination is a secret serial rapist?)
Dave Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:22   #5
Korvaz
Minimodder

Korvaz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Penguin View Post

Was it all scary, and in grainy black and white film? Think about it.
Korvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:32   #6
Ramble
Ginger Nut

Ramble has yet to learn the way of the DremelRamble has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Probably not the best idea, but I doubt the mould will do any harm, most don't and people eat mould everyday, they usually don't let it grow to a colony first and then eat it.
Then again it could be a mould loaded with spores and eadly toxins, or a mould which will give you a fungal infection from the inside.
Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:33   #7
ToMMo
Multimodder

ToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youToMMo - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Haha to be fair, if I was hungry I'd do the exact same thing, however it must have been damn old Jam to get a layer of mould. Good work.

Quote:
Family Guy? Peter Griffen gets a prostate examination.
http://www.zippyvideos.com/569043692...prostate_exam/
hahaha I love family guy!
Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:39   #8
Shadow_101
Mudkips.

Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
"Now, what seems to be the matter?"

"I'm not feeling very well"

"Oh, well there's nothing I can do for you. Sorry."

"Not even with some lovely Jam??"

"Ah now that's a different matter! Jam changes everything! Let's get cracking... Trousers Down please!"

That had me cracking up
Shadow_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 15:50   #9
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Never a good idea to eat mouldy foods that should not be mouldy. Some are quite harmless (such as certain types ones found on cheese), while some, as Silver51 indicates, can be pretty dangerous --especially the ones found on nuts, cereals and bread.

Even when you scoop off the furry layer, mould roots can extend as far as 2 inches into the food they are growing on. Typically, that's where most of the harmful mycotoxins are that can cause allergic responses and respiratory problems. They are mostly found in moulds growing on grain and nut crops, but also on celery, grape juice, apples, and other produce, and yes, also jams. So basically, mouldy jam should be thrown out. Microbiologists recommend against scooping out the mould and using the remaining jam. Another factoid to consider is that when food is mouldy, it has most likely gone off in other ways too. It may be stale, rotting or infected with bacteria (not the friendly ones).

The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations estimates that 25% of the world's food crops are affected by mycotoxins, of which the most notorious are aflatoxins. Aflatoxin is a cancer-causing poison and has been associated with various diseases such as aflatoxicosis in livestock, domestic animals, and humans throughout the world.

Moulds are used to make certain kinds of cheeses and can be on the surface of cheese or be developed internally. Blue veined cheese such as Roquefort, blue, Gorgonzola, and Stilton are created by the introduction of Penicillum roqueforti or its spores. Cheeses such as Brie and Camembert have white surface moulds. Other cheeses have both an internal and a surface mould. These moulds are all safe to eat.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 16:02   #10
whisperwolf
I *am* a Dremel

whisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
So basically, mouldy jam should be thrown out. Microbiologists recommend against scooping out the mould and using the remaining jam.

I'm amazed that warning hasn't made it to the labels of jams yet, along with a funky Microbiologist logo of some sort. Is it all microbiologists or is there 1 in 10 that recommends something else, like dentists and toothpaste?

My Flickr
whisperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 16:13   #11
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I ate some mouldy bread on Monday and I felt like **** for the rest of the day.
Old 4th Jun 2008, 16:13   #12
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Never a good idea to eat mouldy foods that should not be mouldy.
How else will you build up an immunity?

Eat dirt, lick slugs, get colds, enjoy spotted mouldy bread.

There's too many antibacterial cleaners out there - how did our parents ever survive?
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 16:18   #13
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by badders View Post
how did our parents ever survive?
So damn true, I think people under estimate what are body is capable of doing, and that a little bit of crap here and there isn't going to kill us.
Old 4th Jun 2008, 16:27   #14
Moriquendi
Bit Tech Biker

Moriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yup, I like to exercise my immune system on a regular basis, it also makes a great excuse for not doing the washing up .

Its quite possible that your symptoms are psychosomatic, you've eaten mouldy food than you know you probably shouldn't have so It may be that your mind is telling you you're feeling ill so you don't do it again.

Moriquendi
Moriquendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 16:30   #15
will.
A motorbike of jealousy!

will. has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwill. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My grandparents had a bottle of squash (orange flavour I believe) that had actually turned into some kind of jelly it was so old. Most people would throw it out, but because they are still under the impression that zee Germans are coming to get them at any moment they happily served it to us.

Saying that, I'll happily eat mouldy cheese and anything gone off that's in a tin or my freezer.

Check out my Last.FM & iToggle & Nav-o-Matic jQuery plugins.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 16:30   #16
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
...how did our parents ever survive?
If they ate mouldy Walnuts, they didn't. In which case your 'parents' may have something they're not telling you.

Edit: for more information; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

Last edited by Silver51; 4th Jun 2008 at 16:38.
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 16:42   #17
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
"Our parents" were probably taught not to eat mouldy food... that's how they survived.
Old 4th Jun 2008, 16:54   #18
profqwerty
Ultramodder

profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!profqwerty - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I've taken 3 nurofen express capsules over the afternoon, and have certainly brightened up but still sliiiightly dizzy.

This particular jar has been mouldy before and i scraped it off, I just never replaced it (it's still half full!!).

We don't use any of these anti bacterial things on tabletops, a damp cloth removes most things quite happily.

I'm gonna put it down to manflu

My old acrylic one
profqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 17:01   #19
will.
A motorbike of jealousy!

will. has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwill. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think you've got aids... But don't worry:

Check out my Last.FM & iToggle & Nav-o-Matic jQuery plugins.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2008, 17:16   #20
Ramble
Ginger Nut

Ramble has yet to learn the way of the DremelRamble has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Eat dirt, lick slugs, get colds, enjoy spotted mouldy bread.
Drink crude oil, snort glue, use domestos as shower gel.

I'm all for growing mould cultures in the cups on my desk but there's a reason most people don't eat it.

Tags
food

View Mode