1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sapphire HD 3850 512meg AGP card trouble?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by flashmanxxx, 8 Jun 2008.

1. flashmanxxx

flashmanxxx What's a Dremel?

Hey all - I joined this forum just to possibly help anyone having problems with SAPPHIRE HD 3850 512MEG AGP card. I purchased the card and had massive poroblems at first. Everything from games not working to very poor FPS and game performance. My system is as follows: Win XP home SP3 - Intell P4 3.06 cpu - 2 gig pc3200 memory - Soyo Dragon sy-p4x400 ultra motherboard - standard 7200 rpm IDE hard disk drive - and of course the sapphire card. Nothing special. But here's what I finally figured out and I'm having good results ( thank god cause I was pulling my hair out ) -

1. - Purchase a GOOD power supply - I got the corsair TX650W, it's packing a +12v rail with 52A. enough to run the card. The card requires +12v rail with 30A. I didn't wanna mess around with combining multi 12v lines, I've heard mixed results. cost was about $130.00

2. - Downloaded and install latest Motherboard chipset drivers - Mine are VIA so I went to the website and got em.

3. - Install new beta Catalyst 8.6 control center and drivers - Uninstall the current drivers, reboot, and do a clean install. After installing 8.6 and rebooting, let system fully load then reboot again. I also ran disk cleanup and disk defrag after the last reboot, then reboot again for safe measure! - maybe extreme but hey it doesn't hurt.

I hope this helps anyone thats fighting the same issues - I had a sapphire radeon X1600 512mg card previously and noticed a big difference after the proper install of the 3850 card.