bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Jun 2008, 08:14   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
BBC finds oldest digital music recording

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/06...ic-recording/1

The Beeb has unearthed a recording from 1951 featuring the second ever public production of computer generated music, making it the oldest recording currently known.

CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2008, 09:08   #2
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is so sweet! I'm always amazed at how far we've come in terms of computing power in just a few decades. I started using a C64 about 20 years ago when i was 6 or 7. I remember keying in a huge amount of code from the back of a programming book in order to get the machine to play a tiny and simple tune. Ah those were the days
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2008, 09:15   #3
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
yeah i think we all (over 20 odd years old) used Qbasic to make a song at some point
Old 19th Jun 2008, 10:01   #4
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
BBC finds oldest digital music recording
Slightly misleading title - it isn't a digital recording, it's an analogue recording (or at least it was, it has presumably been digitised now) of music generated by an early digital computer synthesiser. So I guess you could say its a "digital music" recording, but it isn't a digital "music recording" if you get me.

Anyway, impressive just in terms of seeing progress in <60 yrs.
Old 19th Jun 2008, 10:34   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
Slightly misleading title - it isn't a digital recording, it's an analogue recording (or at least it was, it has presumably been digitised now) of music generated by an early digital computer synthesiser. So I guess you could say its a "digital music" recording, but it isn't a digital "music recording" if you get me.
"Digital-music recording" was exactly what I was aiming for. I realise it was misleading, but it's hard to get "BBC finds earliest known recording of computer generated music" to fit the headline box.
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2008, 15:40   #6
salesman
Multimodder

salesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsalesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
"Digital-music recording" was exactly what I was aiming for. I realise it was misleading, but it's hard to get "BBC finds earliest known recording of computer generated music" to fit the headline box.
Ha. It's not all the BBC finds.
E8400 3.0GHz | ASRock P45X3 Deluxe | EVGA 570 GTX | 8 GB GSkill memory | Crucial M4 64GB Boot Drive | 3x Samsung F3 1TB Raid 0 | 2x Samsung F4EG 1.5TB Raid 0 | Corsair AX750 PSU | Noctua NH-U12P | Antec P180 | M-Audio Audiophile 192 | Marantz PM5004 | Cambridge Soundworks Speakers | Duckey Shine | Dell U2410 |
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2008, 19:28   #7
rhuitron
Bump? What Bump?

rhuitron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Mpaa Eat your heart out!

(Or what ever the Music one is.)
Old 19th Jun 2008, 23:39   #8
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for president
Just imagine the computing power we will have 20 years from now.... Hope I'm still a tech junkie then.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote